Anyone grow sweet potatoes?

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 8:11 pm

Have any luck with growing them from homemade slips?

jimg
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Columbia Kitchen Range in pieces, Monarch Kitchen Range in house
Coal Size/Type: Rice for EFM and Stove/Nut for hand fired

Post by jimg » Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 8:35 pm

Yes, probably about 15 years since I purchased plants, since then I start my own plants in the beginning of April simply by putting several sweet potatoes in water and placing them in a sunny indoor location. Ready to plant in June.

Also grow garlic with saved bulbs, about 10 years and going strong. They say that using the largest bulbs will improve the quality and size of the bulbs which has been my experience. Some are nearly the size of a tennis ball, this is a hard neck variety.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 9:32 pm

jimg wrote:
Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 8:35 pm
Yes, probably about 15 years since I purchased plants, since then I start my own plants in the beginning of April simply by putting several sweet potatoes in water and placing them in a sunny indoor location. Ready to plant in June.

Also grow garlic with saved bulbs, about 10 years and going strong. They say that using the largest bulbs will improve the quality and size of the bulbs which has been my experience. Some are nearly the size of a tennis ball, this is a hard neck variety.
How do you plant the potatoes? I mean anything special?

jimg
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Columbia Kitchen Range in pieces, Monarch Kitchen Range in house

Post by jimg » Tue. Apr. 11, 2023 7:09 am

After the slips get to be 4 or so inches long I break them off and root them in water. Then after substantial root growth, which is quick, I plant them in dirt in small pots, like 2 inches in diameter or even less.

When it's time to plant I space them about 2 feet apart in rows 3 feet apart. Nothing special, just dig a hole, insert plant and water. Once established they are very drought tolerant as you probably know.

waytomany?s

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Apr. 13, 2023 9:16 am

jimg wrote:
Tue. Apr. 11, 2023 7:09 am
After the slips get to be 4 or so inches long I break them off and root them in water. Then after substantial root growth, which is quick, I plant them in dirt in small pots, like 2 inches in diameter or even less.

When it's time to plant I space them about 2 feet apart in rows 3 feet apart. Nothing special, just dig a hole, insert plant and water. Once established they are very drought tolerant as you probably know.
Do you get decent sized potatoes? Your yield must be fair if you continue to do it.

jimg

Post by jimg » Fri. Apr. 14, 2023 6:46 am

Yes, very large and prolific. I say about 2 bushels from 18 plants, not exaggerating! I will post some pictures soon from prior years. Some of the potatoes must exceed 2 pounds. They keep pretty well too, we just had some last week, but you must wrap them individually with newspaper or they will rot where they contact other potatoes.

I am in central PA so your experience may be different.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”