Hydroponic gardening

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 5:40 am

Anybody ever grow anything hydroponically?
I have started seeds and plan to grow vegetables hydroponically this year. I also am setting up a grow area for lettuce, herbs, spices, for year round consumption.

Yesterday I picked up over 100 five gallon containers. I expect to grow at least 2 large plants per container. I set up a system years ago and had great results. This time I am doing a much simpler system.

The Kratky system doesn't even require power. In many cases you plant and forget about it.

Hootyburra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaskan Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Hootyburra » Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 7:35 am

Kratsky is nice and simple but DWC or RWDC seems to have better yields which makes sense sinse the roots get more love.
Check out the advanced nutrients pH perfect trio if you get sick of balancing. Don't forget the cal mag.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 8:26 am

Hootyburra wrote:
Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 7:35 am
Kratsky is nice and simple but DWC or RWDC seems to have better yields which makes sense sinse the roots get more love.
Check out the advanced nutrients pH perfect trio if you get sick of balancing. Don't forget the cal mag.
Way back in the day I made a pretty sophisticated DIY aeroponic garden that was awesome. Then I decided that outdoors was the way to go so I set up a NFT system which I had the smallest possible reservoir everything made out of 4 inch PVC. I used an airtight 5 gallon container with a pipe to keep the reservoir filled to minimum capacity. So there was always nutrient solution and or water that was fresh because it had to always be replenished from the new supply. With that system I had an airlift pump that lifted the highly oxygenated water from the tiny reservoir back into the system nonstop.

I plan to do the same thing with the Kratky system. I will keep the reservoir at the desired level with an airtight container and a standpipe in the Kratky bottle.

There is no doubt systems that perform better than others but I just wanted to present the simplest way to do it.

Furthermore, when I had the aforementioned NFT system going, I never used any gadgets to measure PH or salts. It was pretty simple to just take a look at the plants and determine what was needed. Obviously H2O evaporates on hot sunny days and leaves behind a more concentrated nutrient solution. So all I did was take a look at my plants and every other day or whenever, I only filled the airtight bottle with H2O instead of nutrient solution fertilizers.

Hootyburra

Post by Hootyburra » Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 8:15 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 8:26 am
Way back in the day I made a pretty sophisticated DIY aeroponic garden that was awesome. Then I decided that outdoors was the way to go so I set up a NFT system which I had the smallest possible reservoir everything made out of 4 inch PVC. I used an airtight 5 gallon container with a pipe to keep the reservoir filled to minimum capacity. So there was always nutrient solution and or water that was fresh because it had to always be replenished from the new supply. With that system I had an airlift pump that lifted the highly oxygenated water from the tiny reservoir back into the system nonstop.

I plan to do the same thing with the Kratky system. I will keep the reservoir at the desired level with an airtight container and a standpipe in the Kratky bottle.

There is no doubt systems that perform better than others but I just wanted to present the simplest way to do it.

Furthermore, when I had the aforementioned NFT system going, I never used any gadgets to measure PH or salts. It was pretty simple to just take a look at the plants and determine what was needed. Obviously H2O evaporates on hot sunny days and leaves behind a more concentrated nutrient solution. So all I did was take a look at my plants and every other day or whenever, I only filled the airtight bottle with H2O instead of nutrient solution fertilizers.
I see you've been around the bush a few times. I'm still a rookie. Someday, probably sooner than later, I want to set up an NFT system.
I just finished up a mini split install today, I'm already thinking how easy it would be to frame out a 'small' area in the basement and add another minisplit to grow year round.
Some pics from years ago when I started getting my roots wet..

Attachments

IMG_20200514_192731.jpg
.JPG | 251KB | IMG_20200514_192731.jpg
IMG_20200525_080824.jpg
.JPG | 333.2KB | IMG_20200525_080824.jpg
IMG_20200525_084538.jpg
.JPG | 282.5KB | IMG_20200525_084538.jpg

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 10:36 pm

No, but it's possible to make a huge operation out of it. I built the extrusion dies that made the "growing troughs" for this. https://greenautomation.com/en/dedicated-growing- ... r-business

I have never understood the point of hydroponics, is dirt too expensive or something?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 3:22 am

carlherrnstein wrote:
Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 10:36 pm

I have never understood the point of hydroponics, is dirt too expensive or something?
Maybe Coldhouse is planning to move to Mars .... Sure he'll take his 503s..but dirt weighs too much.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 5:43 am

carlherrnstein wrote:
Sun. Apr. 09, 2023 10:36 pm
No, but it's possible to make a huge operation out of it. I built the extrusion dies that made the "growing troughs" for this. https://greenautomation.com/en/dedicated-growing- ... r-business

Plants grow much faster and better in hydroponics.
Soil. Hmm. Okay if a person has no garden and wants to make one what is required? Remove grass, amend soil, bring in more new soil.... plant, fertilize, pull weeds, water, deal with pests.....

Hydroponics: No weeds, the roots that need oxygen and nutrients are in a perfect environment. There is no need for roots to spread out all over looking for nutrients they are present right at the root system. Much less water required. Never too much water creating root rot. Never too dry. Much less chance of pests. Plants can simply grow and produce fruit. Not expensive or labor intensive. Plants need additional nutrients when in soil. Hydroponic Nutrients are not expensive. Growing containers can be discarded buckets, pails, pretty much anything. No rototilling, plowing.... More crop/produce in less space. Production starts sooner and yields way more. Disadvantage is if doing indoors is cost of running grow lights but that cost is the same if you grow using soil indoors. You can grow on multi-levels. Can tend your crop and harvest at a comfortable height.

Grow two tomato plants one in a 5 gallon pail using hydroponic nutrients and the other in soil. See which one grows faster, requires less care, has less insects, produces fruit sooner, produces more fruit and then you would be able to see the benefit.

Hootyburra

Post by Hootyburra » Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 12:01 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 5:43 am
Plants grow much faster and better in hydroponics.
Soil. Hmm. Okay if a person has no garden and wants to make one what is required? Remove grass, amend soil, bring in more new soil.... plant, fertilize, pull weeds, water, deal with pests.....

Hydroponics: No weeds, the roots that need oxygen and nutrients are in a perfect environment. There is no need for roots to spread out all over looking for nutrients they are present right at the root system. Much less water required. Never too much water creating root rot. Never too dry. Much less chance of pests. Plants can simply grow and produce fruit. Not expensive or labor intensive. Plants need additional nutrients when in soil. Hydroponic Nutrients are not expensive. Growing containers can be discarded buckets, pails, pretty much anything. No rototilling, plowing.... More crop/produce in less space. Production starts sooner and yields way more. Disadvantage is if doing indoors is cost of running grow lights but that cost is the same if you grow using soil indoors. You can grow on multi-levels. Can tend your crop and harvest at a comfortable height.

Grow two tomato plants one in a 5 gallon pail using hydroponic nutrients and the other in soil. See which one grows faster, requires less care, has less insects, produces fruit sooner, produces more fruit and then you would be able to see the benefit.
Yes to all of it. Agreed.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Apr. 11, 2023 7:47 am

To mix 5 gallons of nutrient solution only use 12 grams fertilizer 6 grams Epsom salt and 12 grams Calcium. Only costs a few cents for 5 gallons of nutrient solution.
Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 7.43.23 AM.png
.PNG | 589.7KB | Screen Shot 2023-04-11 at 7.43.23 AM.png

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Apr. 11, 2023 12:47 pm

Free Grow containers.
IMG_0335.JPG
.JPG | 672.8KB | IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0336.JPG
.JPG | 760.6KB | IMG_0336.JPG

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Apr. 14, 2023 1:35 pm

ColdHouse wrote:
Tue. Apr. 11, 2023 12:47 pm
Free Grow containers.
Lucky CH lives near the medical waste disposal company...free containers ! And full too. Double free bonus.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Apr. 14, 2023 2:02 pm

Bleach I think... just dump them in the river and get free fish!

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Apr. 14, 2023 3:08 pm

warminmn wrote:
Fri. Apr. 14, 2023 2:02 pm
Bleach I think... just dump them in the river and get free fish!
Its hydroponic !

Its a high colonic !

Its mnemonic !

Its the Philharmonic !

Its Grease Lightening !

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”