Fuel barrel connection to Kubota GL7000 diesel generator

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Jan. 02, 2023 10:55 pm

Not sure if my pics are good enough here, but hopefully they'll help ...

So I bought a GL7000 diesel generator for my dad, and wired it up as a standby unit. Those Generac units everyone pushes seemed to be built like crap, and failure prone, so I wanted something different. I also didn't want a gas burner, since getting gas delivered for a generator when there are trees down everywhere due to a storm would probably be a bad deal. Good ol' liquid fuels can be stockpiled, and burn for a longer period of time vs. the same volume of gas.

ANYWAY ... on to my questions!

I bought a fuel barrel "kit" for this generator. It somehow is supposed to pull fuel through this specially made bung that fits in the barrel, goes through a water separator / filter unit, then to the fuel pump on the generator. What is confusing me is the return line. Where the hell are you supposed to hook THAT up? It came with everything shown in the 1st pic (didn't get a pic of the filter assy. but that's irrelevant). The return makes absolutely zero sense to me. I can't possibly see how this would work without the addition of an electric fuel pump to force unused fuel into the return line, back to the barrel.

My 2nd question I answered as I was typing. If I were to tee the feed line into the generator feed line, then it would draw from both, eventually empty the tank, then suck air. If I keep the petcock for the generator's fuel tank OFF, it should work normally and not require bleeding going from one to the other. Not quite sure how the return line would play into this.

I can't get ANY info from the Canadian company I bought it from, nor from any American companies that sell similar units. Seems everyone is afraid of the liability. Can't get ahold of anyone, nobody answers emails, nor will they return my calls. :-x

If you can help me with this, thanks a BILLION!!

Here's a link to the actual product, in case this will help: https://www.auroragenerators.com/product-page/55- ... ersion-kit
IMG_7454.jpeg

Parts in the kit (minus the water separator / filter

.JPEG | 601.9KB | IMG_7454.jpeg
IMG_7455.jpeg

Generator petcock, fuel line, pump

.JPEG | 300.3KB | IMG_7455.jpeg
IMG_7456.jpeg

Another angle of generator fuel line

.JPEG | 262.3KB | IMG_7456.jpeg

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Jan. 03, 2023 8:37 am

In an oil burner the return line is used when the oil tank is below the burner level, as in a buried tank. It enables to pump to draw oil in the buried tank but is not needed if the tank is the same level as the burner.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Tue. Jan. 03, 2023 8:50 am

On your generator from the fuel tank you have your petcock that feeds the engine injection pump, on the injection pump there is usually a line for excess fuel which may return to the fuel tank with no petcock or may even feed back into the generators fuel filter or feed line.
The return line from the injection pump is what should now go to your drum adapter to get back in the drum.
If the injection pump return is not routed into the feed line or back to the drum the original fuel tank will over flow.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 03, 2023 11:04 am

Most diesels with mechanical transfer pumps have a return line going to the tank, which is why your bung plug has that provision.

Your engine does not appear to have a return line on the pump. If that is the case, the second barbed fitting on your bung plug will not be used.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Tue. Jan. 03, 2023 11:25 am

All the diesels I have worked with or on had an excess fuel return off the injection pump, not on the transfer or lift pump.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Tue. Jan. 03, 2023 1:43 pm

What am I missing ? right there on the yellow part you screw into the drum, the smaller hose bib..

Why are you not using the tank on the genset?

Can you return it, I use this..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354482747808?hash=item52 ... R-Ljjo-vYQ

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 12:01 am

Thanks fellas! I appreciate the replies! I never get notifications that anyone replies to any of my posts or threads - I set it up once, but it seems I have to do this EVERY time I post - it doesn't do it automatically. Some day I'll figure out this whole interwebnets thing ... (AHH HAAAA!! The check mark means your NOT subscribed! Now I got it!)

Grumpy (and everyone wondering ...), my reason for buying this was so I could use a 55 gallon drum instead of the generator fuel tank during an extended outage. Generator tank =7 gallons. Barrel = 55 gallons, plus whatever is left in the tank as a manually-switched reserve.

But the main reason is that getting #2 heating oil into a barrel in MA is a bit of a project. We don't have the luxury here of pulling up to an off-road diesel pump to get tax-free diesel. I have to bring the barrel all the way back to my house (45 minutes 1 way on a GOOD, light-traffic day), pump it full in the back of my truck, drive back, then 2-wheel the 400 pound barrel down ramps into dad's generator house. I visit him every Sunday, so I normally combine trips to avoid the fuel-guzzling, wallet-emptying back-&-forth. If the barrel is low, I'll empty the rest into the tank, and take it home with me, and bring it back full the following Sunday. Of course if there's an extended outage, I'd have to make the many trips ASAP, but not likely in that suburb - they rarely lose power that long (but good to be prepared, the way the world is headed). The more #2 I can have on hand, the better, since it's quite a bit of work. It's $1.15 - $1.40 a gallon cheaper burning heating oil over diesel here, depending on when you buy it - that really adds up over 55 gallons! I've got less than $200 into this entire setup. Will pay for itself in 3 fill-ups or less.

I premixed the barrel contents at 200:1 with Amsoil Interceptor 2-stroke oil, just in case there was any chance of pump damage from lubricity issues. There's been no definitive answer as to whether this is an old wives tale, a rumor spread by road-tax-hungry states like MA, or is completely safe to do. I've done it in the past without issue, but rather than risk the pump, I premixed it. We also threw some diesel additive in the tank as well - name escapes me at the moment, but it's the one every trucking company I've worked for uses to prevent algae in their standby generators or infrequently used equipment.

So it looks like it's as simple as cracking the bleeder, pumping the squeezer until the air is out, close bleeder, make sure petcock is shut, and fire her up! SWEET! I thought for some reason that I HAD to use the return line. All that did was make a simple connection into a mountain in my head. THANK YOU ALL for clearing that up! MUCH APPRECIATED!! 👍🍻

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 7:12 am

Why don't you just use a heating oil tank? They are for sale all over the place and usually come with a vent and gauge already installed. That way you can just call for a delivery and avoid the drama of hauling a 55 gallon drum of fuel in your truck.

If the tank is stored outside you will need to treat No. 2 to keep it from gelling in cold temperatures. Off-road diesel would be a better choice.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 10:29 am

Your going to want to run a biocide, I recommend Biobor products, If its good enough for the military its good enough for me. I run JF and MD...

https://www.biobor.com/industries/diesel-fuel-additives/

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 11:58 am

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 7:12 am
Why don't you just use a heating oil tank? They are for sale all over the place and usually come with a vent and gauge already installed. That way you can just call for a delivery and avoid the drama of hauling a 55 gallon drum of fuel in your truck.

If the tank is stored outside you will need to treat No. 2 to keep it from gelling in cold temperatures. Off-road diesel would be a better choice.
I didn't want to deal with that, plus, the more things are hidden in this part of the state, the better. Place is like communist Russia - inspectors drive around and look for things to fine homeowners on. Not even joking - they actually do this there!! I have to park my truck sideways to block view whenever we want to tackle a project that's supposed to require licenses or permits. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a town ordinance against outdoor tanks there. If not, they'd make you build a $5,000 bunker to house it, to keep a drop of #2 from entering the ground. :lol:

Would be nice if we could get off-road diesel here in MA. Truck has to come out for that, too. :cry:
grumpy wrote:
Fri. Jan. 06, 2023 10:29 am
Your going to want to run a biocide, I recommend Biobor products, If its good enough for the military its good enough for me. I run JF and MD...

https://www.biobor.com/industries/diesel-fuel-additives/
Thanks for the link, Grumpy.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Aug. 01, 2023 1:24 am

Figured I'd update another ancient thread of mine, in case someone ever needs the info ...

This damned thing overflowed the generator's tank! Pushed fuel right past the petcock. How, I'm not really sure. You'd figure the fuel pump will suck the diesel down the line (once purged with the squeeze bulb), and siphon action would keep it going ... but how the hell did it create enough pressure to blow right by the petcock? STRANGE. I was just about to leave when I noticed a pretty big spill happening on the floor! Came right out the friggin cap! Had to mop up at least 2 quarts off the floor and generator. :x

In thinking about it, I can only chalk that up to yet another Chinese part used on a very expensive Kubota gen set. It probably seals one way, and completely fails the other. Par for the course! Now the fuel level in the barrel IS higher than the tank at this point, but only by 2', if that. I'm still beside myself that this could push past the cutoff.

Scrapped that idea! What a waste of $175! :no1: Bought a Roughneck 20GPM pump from Northern Tool, plus a filter assembly (On that note, DO NOT buy Groz filter assemblies - they are engineered proprietary, so you can only use Groz filters - nothing else will fit!!! :x :x ), and installed that in the barrel. Should've done that to begin with!

Problem solved, although it would've been nice to have over 55 gallons fed to the generator, so nobody would have to lift a finger for a week or so during a bad outage. Not a bad trade-off in the scheme of things, though. Things can always be worse!
IMG_8775.jpeg
.JPEG | 594.2KB | IMG_8775.jpeg

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Aug. 01, 2023 8:55 am

Generators are a pain. I have a 10 HP/6000kwh hr one, gasoline.

When power goes out you know what I do?

I hook up an inverter to my Chevy Volt and get electricity that way. For a one week outage I used 5 gal of gas for the entire week.

Likely would have used 2 1/2 gal of gas a day with the generator...for 17.5 gal for the week.

If SHTF all out, I'd have about a month of electricity ... so I got that going for me.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Aug. 01, 2023 12:03 pm

As a former auto mechanic, I'd say you're a gambling man, trusting your well being on a GM product. :D

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Aug. 02, 2023 3:02 pm

SMITTY wrote:
Tue. Aug. 01, 2023 12:03 pm
As a former auto mechanic, I'd say you're a gambling man, trusting your well being on a GM product. :D
The wifey thinks the Volt is a tank. I get a call about 2x a year..."Tire broke from a curb". I now have a spare tire in the garage ... load it up with jack and tools for the trip to fix the offending tire that could not withstand a 15 MPH attack on a pesky curb.

I just bought a full size rim too ... they make donuts which are nice but the wifey isn't going to be able to change a tire on the street.

And Chevy and other man. decided spares are not needed anymore. That's nice.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”