I go in the corner of Magics stall

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 10:20 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 10:07 pm
Honestly I read a lot and decided Toto had the best performance and reliability for the money. Mine was $340 with the soft close seat. I am not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but it also sounds like a winner.
I was looking for the lowest water use possible as our water cost is high here. Was skeptical that it would perform with such low water use but it does a great job on less than a gallon per flush. Takes a lot to block it too.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 6:49 am

k-2 wrote:
Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 10:20 pm
I was looking for the lowest water use possible as our water cost is high here. Was skeptical that it would perform with such low water use but it does a great job on less than a gallon per flush. Takes a lot to block it too.
I am on a well, so my cost of water is whatever you pencil it out to be based on the well pump, water treatment system, etc. My leach field is 40 years old, so not overloading it with water is a benefit. This downstairs toilet probably sees 80% of the total action in the house, so the water savings from going to 3.5 gpf to 1.28 is pretty nice. I found a calculator online that said it would be 15,000 gallons per year for a family of 4.

My other goal was to get a toilet that would not easily plug. The old one would plug if you looked at it wrong.

Lastly, the new toilets are less likely to have tank condensation because they only empty about half of the tank on a flush. Condensation was a big issue with my old toilet, especially during summer parties.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 4:07 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 10:07 pm
Honestly I read a lot and decided Toto had the best performance and reliability for the money. Mine was $340 with the soft close seat. I am not familiar with the brand you mentioned, but it also sounds like a winner.
Thats a good price must $340. If you google it most places selling that model
are asking $500 now.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 4:12 pm

I got after it today, painted this morning and set the toilet at lunchtime. I wasn’t totally confident I could pull this off with a single wax ring due to the floor being a bit wonky, so I went with the seal pictured. It went together alright, but I was surprised at how much it took to draw the toilet down. I didn’t have to torque the bolts hard, but just putting some weight on the bowl didn’t seem to do much. I ended up getting it nice and square on the first shot with two plastic shims. Will trim the flange bolts and finish up later.

Flushed a few times and checked for leaks, so far so good.

Attachments

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 6:45 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Sep. 15, 2022 8:54 pm
The bolts were very rusty from years of tank condensation. That cutoff wheel went through them like butter.

Did you notice the tank-lid spark shield? :lol:
Lol, I thought that was pure genius.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Dont put any of those chlorine tablets in the tank.Mine ate the tops right off the 3 brass bolts holding the tank on. Now i just spray some 409 in the bowl now and then,nothing in the tank.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 7:46 pm

k-2 wrote:
Fri. Sep. 16, 2022 7:17 pm
Dont put any of those chlorine tablets in the tank.
The new toilet actually had a sticker inside the tank saying not to use those. Right next to the “Made in USA” sticker. :yes:

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 6:15 pm

Here is the 2 week review: I am very happy with this Toto toilet and would certainly buy another.

In 2020 when toilet paper became scarce the only kind we could buy for a month or so was Quilted Northern Ultra Plush. This stuff is pretty thick and we had some issues with it plugging the toilets the kids use (newer Kohler and the old American Standard I just replaced). As soon as we could find some regular TP I put the Ultra Plush up on a shelf in the basement and forgot about it. Well, last week I put two rolls of the Ultra Plus in the bathroom with the Toto and there has not been one issue with it.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 6:15 pm
Here is the 2 week review: I am very happy with this Toto toilet and would certainly buy another.
Sounds good Rob. These new water savers units are designed well. I may need another unit this winter as im installing a bathroom in a house that runs off rainwater right now so ill going with another Niagra for the .8 gal water use as well as performance. My old go to was a Mansfield for many years but they use 1.6 Gal, 100% more water.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 11:21 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 6:15 pm
... Quilted Northern Ultra Plush. This stuff is pretty thick and we had some issues with it plugging the toilets the kids use
The thick stuff will plug our Mansfield toilet, otherwise all is good with it. When my eldest son was about 3 years old, he plugged up a 3-gallon model pretty solid with paper. The bowl filled completely so only surface tension kept it from overflowing. That was a good-luck miracle. My wife found it, said OMG look at that. Sonny took one look, said "I'll fix it!", ran over and -- yes, you guessed it -- pulled the flush lever. :o

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 7:28 am

rberq wrote:
Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 11:21 pm
The thick stuff will plug our Mansfield toilet, otherwise all is good with it. When my eldest son was about 3 years old, he plugged up a 3-gallon model pretty solid with paper. The bowl filled completely so only surface tension kept it from overflowing. That was a good-luck miracle. My wife found it, said OMG look at that. Sonny took one look, said "I'll fix it!", ran over and -- yes, you guessed it -- pulled the flush lever. :o
And I bet momma was saying no, no, no, no, no the whole time. Been at than point where your body is froze but your mouth runs a mile a minute.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 8:13 am

condensation with toilet ??? . I brought hot and cold water to toile and manual mix them You mix to prevent condensation and if located in the right spot of your home plumbing system enables you to have instant hot water at you bathrooms. Yes you use some energy ,but you also use energy letting the hot water run to get hot water or the hot water standing in pipe without being used. . You can manually set your hot water valve for usage you want .

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 8:21 am

k-2 wrote:
Fri. Sep. 30, 2022 6:27 pm
Sounds good Rob. These new water savers units are designed well. I may need another unit this winter as im installing a bathroom in a house that runs off rainwater right now so ill going with another Niagra for the .8 gal water use as well as performance. My old go to was a Mansfield for many years but they use 1.6 Gal, 100% more water.
I watched one of their videos to see how they get away with so little water. Interesting design.

You certainly can't beat the price, especially if you buy a few at a time from Home Depot. The only part I don't like is a quick web search showed that the parts that normally fail are only available directly from Niagra. If it was the only toilet in the house or in a heavy-use application that might be something to consider.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 8:27 am

franpipeman wrote:
Sat. Oct. 01, 2022 8:13 am
condensation with toilet ??? . I brought hot and cold water to toile and manual mix them You mix to prevent condensation and if located in the right spot of your home plumbing system enables you to have instant hot water at you bathrooms. Yes you use some energy ,but you also use energy letting the hot water run to get hot water or the hot water standing in pipe without being used. . You can manually set your hot water valve for usage you want .
We only had condensation issues during hot humid weather when other people were visiting. I will see how we do next summer with the Toto. If it still has condensation issues I will consider a mixing valve for the toilet supply - although I hate to do that since we use an electric water heater in the summer ($$).

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”