Septic treatment

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 2:12 pm

This last summer I had my septic pumped for the first time in 10 years. It wasn't bad at all. Septic guys said all looked like decent working system. Fast forward a few months and the rain forest rains occur. I learn my Grey water line is busted somewhere and the Ole basement floor drains start backing up. Not tied together but pipes are next to each other. I tied in my Grey water to septic which yeah yeah I know is the gumment way. So does anyone add anything to a septic to keep it regular with all the soaps and bleach now added?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 2:27 pm

Nope, never had a need to. Add a packet of yeast once in a while if you are worried about it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 2:44 pm

DITTO-------------------------------

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 2:52 pm

My septic pumper gave me this years ago. Dont add the yeast when its hot. Yeast alone might do it too, as already mentioned.

Attachments

Untitled.png
.PNG | 4.1MB | Untitled.png

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 2:57 pm

No need to add anything and Never use Rid X

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 4:14 pm

That's a BIG +1 on the Rid-x---I don't even use yeast--but like Rob said--if it makes ya feel better??????

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 6:02 pm

My grandmother used to make sure to flush the fall and spring mouse they would catch. Always claimed it added that needed bacteria haha

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 6:53 pm

Maybe the better question to ask, What NOT to put in the septic tank?

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 7:31 pm

McGiever I can tell you to never put any feminine hygiene products in there. I have had to snake more than 1 drain for that reason. But nobody put that plug in the toilet, in fact nobody even uses tampons in this house. 🙄🤔🤐

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 9:35 pm

Its Ok to use Yeast after a pump out, just a little and just once to kick start it. And yes the more important question is what not to put in it.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 9:37 pm

Remember a septic tank is a living thing, don't kill it..

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 9:52 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 2:12 pm
This last summer I had my septic pumped for the first time in 10 years. It wasn't bad at all. Septic guys said all looked like decent working system. Fast forward a few months and the rain forest rains occur. I learn my Grey water line is busted somewhere and the Ole basement floor drains start backing up. Not tied together but pipes are next to each other. I tied in my Grey water to septic which yeah yeah I know is the gumment way. So does anyone add anything to a septic to keep it regular with all the soaps and bleach now added?
It's like this, the septic system works or it doesn't, there is no in between, if your having a problem, you have a problem.

The tank could be working as it should but your leach field could be shot, they don't last forever, you said things changed with heavy rain, I think you have your answer..

There is nothing wrong with gray water going to you main tank, thats standard today.

Do you have a water conditioner ? dumping all that salt in the tank ? Got a filter on your washing machine ? Bleach ??

Oh you titled this septic treatment, the only treatment you should give it is what comes after your morning coffee...lol

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 4:48 am

grumpy wrote:
Sun. Nov. 14, 2021 9:52 pm

The tank could be working as it should but your leach field could be shot, they don't last forever, you said things changed with heavy rain, I think you have your answer..

There is nothing wrong with gray water going to you main tank, thats standard today.
Septic never had any issues. We just happened to have a couple extra bucks and neighbor was having his tank pumped and having never done it in 10 years figured well should at least see if it's working properly. The addition of adding my Grey water line to the system is just something that picks my mind every now and then. 10 years of no Grey water kinda shoots the shiit to the comfort of certainty for the next 10.

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 8:27 am

About a month ago, we had ours pumped out for the 2nd time in 7 years. I was just being cautious about the tank and now realize it can go for a much longer period of time. I was BS'n with the owner operator of the septic pumper company and he told me to keep doing whatever we are doing. The tank looked very good. I brew beer and produce wine from a small vineyard. All of the wine lees and settled out beer yeast have been going into my tank since it was installed 7 years ago. I've just started bottling this years wine. I'll start brewing lagers when the wine cellar temperature drops into the lower 50's.
He also told me of some very pricey systems that are starting to be installed when a home is close to lakes that are like miniature municipal systems that use algae and UV.

anthony7812

Post by anthony7812 » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 10:09 am

Vbull wrote:
Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 8:27 am

He also told me of some very pricey systems that are starting to be installed when a home is close to lakes that are like miniature municipal systems that use algae and UV.
A volunteer fire company in our county recently had a new firehouse built. They installed a septic and at the time it was a mandate for type of building/size whatever to install that light and algae system. What a joke to put a turd in the dirt.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”