Septic treatment

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 10:21 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 4:48 am
Septic never had any issues. We just happened to have a couple extra bucks and neighbor was having his tank pumped and having never done it in 10 years figured well should at least see if it's working properly. The addition of adding my Grey water line to the system is just something that picks my mind every now and then. 10 years of no Grey water kinda shoots the shiit to the comfort of certainty for the next 10.
Our house puts all of the grey water into the septic, zero issues. We are a family of 4, but have a front loading washing machine, new dishwasher, etc. We do have a water softener, but the backwash goes to a daylight drain.

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 10:39 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 10:09 am
A volunteer fire company in our county recently had a new firehouse built. They installed a septic and at the time it was a mandate for type of building/size whatever to install that light and algae system. What a joke to put a turd in the dirt.
He made the comment that he is required to do pump outs on the lake front properties every year to reduce effluent getting into the drinking water supply. In that case it does work (according to him), I did not ask him about the drug breakdown if any that gets into the system via our normal "discharge".
Also, according to him, a well working system will work so long as the leach field. The average life span of a leach field is 40 years.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 10:55 am

All gray water here goes into the septic tanks with the turds. Its the law here. No outhouses either unless your Amish or its a vacation type home with very few exceptions. Almost all new septic systems require mounds. Sell a home or die and the next owner has to upgrade it.

I really just consider it a way to raise our property taxes. It raises the value of the property the same as the cost of the mound system which is a lot. It was Republicans that made the law so I cant blame the liberals. Many old homes were torn down or abandoned when they inspected everyone a decade ago instead of spending money for new systems. One of the worst laws i ever saw passed here. Basically kicked them out of their own old houses.

Bocephous
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III

Post by Bocephous » Tue. Dec. 14, 2021 9:07 am

anthony7812 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 15, 2021 4:48 am
Septic never had any issues. We just happened to have a couple extra bucks and neighbor was having his tank pumped and having never done it in 10 years figured well should at least see if it's working properly. The addition of adding my Grey water line to the system is just something that picks my mind every now and then. 10 years of no Grey water kinda shoots the shiit to the comfort of certainty for the next 10.
Given the option of having your grey water go into your septic or not, choose "not." Especially if your leech field is not good at dealing with a lot of water. Less water to deal with=a longer leech field life. Find the problem with your grey water line and fix it, if possible.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 9:44 pm

Seriously! Don’t use Rid-X? Wow! Looks like I flunked that course. I always worry about tree roots and such.

I need to have our system checked and/or pumped. Not sure when Pap had it pumped last. We’ve lived here going on 5 years.

I guess I need to ask what not to put in the system besides dropping the kids off at the pool. :lol:

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 10:16 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 9:44 pm
Seriously! Don’t use Rid-X? Wow! Looks like I flunked that course. I always worry about tree roots and such.

I need to have our system checked and/or pumped. Not sure when Pap had it pumped last. We’ve lived here going on 5 years.

I guess I need to ask what not to put in the system besides dropping the kids off at the pool. :lol:
Rid Ex will kill your leach field, not because it doesn't work, because it works to well..

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 10:18 pm

Not sure I understand, Grumpy. How so?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 10:32 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 10:18 pm
Not sure I understand, Grumpy. How so?
Rid Ex breaks things down way more than it should be, so instead of it floating at the top of your tank, or sinking to the bottom it gets suspended through out the tank and washes out to the leach field which then clogs it up..

Remember the output of the tank comes from the center of the tank, you don't want anything there but water.. everything else should float or sink to the bottom..

Many state health Dept. will state to never use Rid Ex..

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 10:47 pm

Learn something every day. Thanks.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 11:02 pm

Enzymes Bill. For tank digestion. And copper sulphate crystals for tree roots. Both at big orange box store. Or decent hardware store. 🙂

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 11:12 pm

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 11:02 pm
Enzymes Bill. For tank digestion. And copper sulphate crystals for tree roots. Both at big orange box store. Or decent hardware store. 🙂
Thanks, Larry.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 7:25 am

My tank has a removable “filter” in the outlet “T” pipe. You could literally never pump out the tank until it backs up and nothing will get in the distribution box or lines. It was $25. Also I put speed levelers in the distribution box….

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 2:26 pm

I will keep that in mind, Scott. Thanks!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 6:18 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Mon. Jan. 24, 2022 9:44 pm
Don't wait for sludge to get pushed out into the leech field or its game over. I learned that one the hard way..

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Jan. 25, 2022 6:25 pm

I need to call them and have it looked at. No idea what it will cost.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”