Got an estimate to replace out central a/c

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. May. 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Hey all.
got an estimate to have my central a/c replaced. Wondering if you guys think it's a good price?
was quoted for a 2.5 ton system to replace the non working r22 2 ton system. it was undersized when it worked.

He quoted me $2800.00 installed. that includes lowering the furnace 4" for clearance (it's sitting 8" off the basement floor on blocks. basement does not flood since i fixed the walls) And rebuilding the plenum.

I priced out the equipment at $1400.00 alone.

He was impressed with the efm 350 install.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sat. May. 01, 2021 5:51 pm

Sounds fair to me.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. May. 02, 2021 1:34 am

With costs and availabilities what they are today,I'd say do it.. I like the fact that he's updating the Unit Sizing and Plenum design to correctly accomodate the new A-Coil. We just went through the same ordeal,and believe it or not,people are already drawing on the Supply Chain pretty hard. Most seem to wait until it's already miserably Hot & Humid to make "Da' Call !

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. May. 02, 2021 9:38 am

Seems very reasonable to me. I paid more than that for a 2 ton minisplit.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. May. 03, 2021 12:15 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. May. 02, 2021 9:38 am
Seems very reasonable to me. I paid more than that for a 2 ton minisplit.
I thought so too. Mom paid $6200.00 to have a 2 ton heat pump installed in 1999. and it was a Goodman.

installer gave me the choice of a 14seer Goodman or a Blueridge condenser. 14seer lower end but the heat pump was a 10 seer iirc.

He's going to mount the coil right above the heat exchanger. that gives me more time to get the upstairs radiators installed. the neatest piping install requires me to do some remodeling and cut out some drywall and not ready for that right now. was going to do a quick and run 3/4" iron pipe on the outside of the wall like the old homes.

i have to work on the cold air returns. the addition was not built with them in mind, i added a 8" return to the kitchen. the other 5 rooms return to the basement.......going to duct those to the return plenum.

on my return plenum there is only room for two 8" ducts and four six inch ducts. five if i cut a hole in the top corner of the plenum. the second 8" i am going to try to get upstairs and tee for a third 8" return in the dining room.

Not ideal but better than not returning any air from the addition?

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”