Leaf Vacuum Suggestions/Recommendations.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 1:00 pm

I've been at my new house for just three months now, but I can tell the amount of leaves in the fall would be at least a hundred bags worth. So, I'm thinking about getting a walk-behind leaf vacuum with hose. Does anyone here have one?

I know I need a vac/shredder with at least a 5:1 volume reduction. A hose would be helpful but not necessary. I'm guessing a self-propelled model because if I don't get that, I will regret that decision in ten years.

Each brand claims to be the best. The owner of Billy Goat says his is better than DR....etc.

Thanks for any feedback!

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 3:54 pm

If possible do as the pro's do. Blow onto a tarp and then drag to a spot to rot.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 5:04 pm

What Franco said. Great natural mulch and put in the woods. Your tree's will get a lot of good from it. It was theirs to begin with.

If you have neighbors you dislike wait until the wind is blowing their way and light a pile of it. :twisted:

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 8:19 pm

If you don't use the tarp method, pay a lot of attention to the design of the bag and how it is emptied. I had a Toro that had a bag with a "narrow" opening. It was such a PIA to empty the bag that I bought and installed a zipper along one of the side seams.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 8:33 pm

Which is louder/more annoying noise, blower or vacuum?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 8:37 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:
Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 1:00 pm
I've been at my new house for just three months now, but I can tell the amount of leaves in the fall would be at least a hundred bags worth. So, I'm thinking about getting a walk-behind leaf vacuum with hose. Does anyone here have one?

I know I need a vac/shredder with at least a 5:1 volume reduction. A hose would be helpful but not necessary. I'm guessing a self-propelled model because if I don't get that, I will regret that decision in ten years.

Each brand claims to be the best. The owner of Billy Goat says his is better than DR....etc.

Thanks for any feedback!
Are you basing this on the amount of leaves you see on the ground, or just the number of trees? I ask because I have a huge maple tree next to my house, and I have to look hard to find any leaves in the spring. Nearly all of the leaves blow away by Xmas, and anything left gets mulched by the lawn mower. Perhaps the leaves won't accumulate like you expect?

As for the walk behind leaf vac - I have never seen one. Everyone around here seems to deal with the leaves via rake/blower or hires a landscaping crew with a huge vacuum and hose that puts the leaves into the back of a truck.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 9:04 pm

Mulch them into the grass and be done with it. It's good for the grass.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Wed. Apr. 14, 2021 9:13 pm

I picked up a walk behind blower from HD. But I see older billy goats vacs on market place cheap and worth a look.

CDF_USAF
Stoker Coal Boiler: Formerly AA-130

Post by CDF_USAF » Fri. Apr. 16, 2021 6:49 pm

I have a Troy built walk behind vac, and mostly use it stationary with the bag off and blow the leaves to it and shred onto the compost pile. The blower is better for handling the leaves. But the vac is better for the helicopters in the spring.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Apr. 16, 2021 9:39 pm

Mark look into a Trac vac .Its aVacuum machine that sucks leaves into a box on wheels .Leaves are mulched too .After a full load you must pull an dump the load of leaves where you want to put them .I have 30 plus oak and ash trees on my property .Saves a Hell of a lot of work in the fall .p m me if confused . jack

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Tue. Jun. 08, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions and tips.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”