UV Water Disinfection System

sperry
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by sperry » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 7:48 am

Wondering if anyone here has any experience or comments they would like to share about home domestic h2o UV sanitizer systems? Looking at a Viqua whole home system to be used for a shallow well on property in times of need. The shallow well h2o passed a test for use. Its recovery is 30 plus gpm and crystal clear. Because it's a shallow well and the price of a unit these days it seems like a cheep piece of mind.
Hope all are well & be safe.
Thx

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 9:49 am

No experience personally but my grandmother had one for her well water years ago. After bacteria was found in her water that was the recommended treatment.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 9:57 am

Curious as to cost & sustainability??

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 11:42 am

Is this in farm country? A shallow well near sprayed crops or in a city will have a lot more nasty stuff than just bacteria in it. I use 2 sediment type filters in my basement and a Berky type countertop filter for drinking water. If your not drinking it, it doesnt matter much.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 12:37 pm

Deep well W, get water tested every couple yrs. Just got a simple cartridge type system--only when water table gets real low, I get a faint sulfur odor.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 4:23 pm

I don't remember what brand we have, but been running UV whole house filter for the past 20 years, in 2 different houses.

It's a very long cartridge style housing with a long glass tube and UV bulb in the tube. The inside of the housing is lined in reflective metal.

#1 thing is to have SEDIMENT filter before it. If the tube gets dirty, UV can't do its job.

IIRC, it is 10gpm, which is more than we'd ever use, but I figured larger equals more dwell time and better disinfection.

It has a light that shows the bulb is working. They claim replace the bulb once a year, but this one has been 15 years.

We have a backflush sediment filter ahead of it, with anthracite inside ;)

sperry

Post by sperry » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 7:06 pm

The Viqua 150 house system is $440.00 plus some 3/4" copper and a few ball valves. The bulb is to be replaced once a year at a cost of 80.00. I have a five micron filter in front of the future install location, hopefully it will be delivered later this week for installation. H2o test result showed it to be clean and not hard water. Our location is unique for water clarity. Here we have no commercial activity, and only a few homes located between us and the cave that our water source starts. There are a few tributaries (mountain run off springs and snow melt) that feed into the river also. The state of VT regards the river as one of it's cleanest, defiantly why it's a dream come true body of water for trout. The shallow well is located down in the meadow about 80' from the river and was installed to facilitate a inground pool that is no longer. No sediment seems to make it's way into the cartridge filter so I have little concern for bulb interference.
I made a fixture to hold a pitless adapter using a section of well casing and angle bracket to install a deep well pump. Seems to work slick. If it wasn't so darn cold and snowy out today I'd go take a pic of it to show my fixture. (tomorrow I will take some pics) Dug the trench, installed the line and wire last week, 110 yards. Also installed a hydrant down there for food plot watering. What a mess I have to clean up after the snow melts and things dry some. Some areas had 10" of frost and others almost none so digging was easy.

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 9:06 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:
Sun. Mar. 14, 2021 4:23 pm
I don't remember what brand we have, but been running UV whole house filter for the past 20 years, in 2 different houses.

It's a very long cartridge style housing with a long glass tube and UV bulb in the tube. The inside of the housing is lined in reflective metal.

#1 thing is to have SEDIMENT filter before it. If the tube gets dirty, UV can't do its job.

IIRC, it is 10gpm, which is more than we'd ever use, but I figured larger equals more dwell time and better disinfection.

After 13 months, a UV bulbs killing capacity is down to 80%.

It has a light that shows the bulb is working. They claim replace the bulb once a year, but this one has been 15 years.

We have a backflush sediment filter ahead of it, with anthracite inside ;)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 1:41 am

These do the job! Mine has a built in countdown timer that sets an alarm code when it's time to renew the bulb.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 1:47 am

Hambden Bob wrote:
Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 1:41 am
These do the job! Mine has a built in countdown timer that sets an alarm code when it's time to renew the bulb.
Are you up early or staying up late? .

Those UV systems are pret common around here, both on lake water and well water.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 9:32 am

Ha Ha! Sorry Rob! I was staying up late! Regarding the UV,it's amazing yet hard to believe how that all works!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Mar. 20, 2021 10:27 am

I have the same UV in my forced air plenum...nothing alive in air flow survives...like virus or bacteria, etc.
ECM fan motor set to run low and slow 24/7.
Will have to keep tabs on how old lamp is myself by keeping note..

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”