Aquaponics

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Jan. 05, 2021 2:00 pm

lsayre wrote:
Tue. Jan. 05, 2021 7:10 am
Paulie, is yours what would be referred to as an Ebb and Flow system?
Yes , some websites refer to it as flood and drain.

I'm going to modify it a bit when I get a chance, mainly for the tomato plants.

I found that my 3" horizontal pipes are too small for tomatoes. The root system on the plants gets pretty big and restricts the flow causing the lower loop to drain slow. I don't have a problem with them on the vertical risers because the root system hangs down the pipe.

My plan is to tee into the lowest return line and install either a 6" bypass loop or a tray.

Paulie

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Jan. 09, 2021 2:32 am

fig wrote:
Mon. Jan. 04, 2021 11:23 pm
They’d jump out too. I had a pet koi I kept in a bathtub in the garage. It was about 24” long. Huge. Came home one day dead on the floor. Launched itself outta the tub somehow. Maybe chasing insects or something.
I lost two that were between 10" and 14" last year in my garden pond. My guess is the same thing happened to mine.

I have an automatic fish feeder on both of the tanks in the greenhouse and thought about installing a screen over the tanks or some type of a fence around the outside to prevent them from jumping out.

Another project to add to my list. :lol:

Paulie

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”