Other Heating: solar dhw/samsung mini split/oil

Post by plumberman » Thu. Oct. 01, 2020 5:47 am

true, they are :lol: :clap:

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Oct. 01, 2020 8:20 pm

We had funny smells with Cascade gel also, but I think it was mostly the perfume they put into the product. Costco tablets bought online are cheap and wash well but they smell bad. Have been using the lowest-cost Finish tablets for years, they do great on everything except pots and pans, and don't etch glass like some we tried. No rinse aid. Also raised the temperature at the water heater to 140 degrees which helped a lot in cleaning. Also I always use the "heated wash" and run the fairly-long "Sani-Rinse" cycle which raises the water temp pretty high.

I never use the stupid "smart sensor" option that thinks it knows how to get by with very little water. Fortunately we never have been short on water.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Oct. 01, 2020 8:38 pm

The finish tablets worked wonderfully in our old dishwasher. We tried them in our new GE dishwasher, and nothing would rinse clean - everything came out with a white film/spots. Turned out to be too much soap for the amount of rinse water. My local water treatment guy ended up suggesting the solution. Buy a powder detergent, use 1/2 the recommended amount, and use a rinse aid.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Oct. 02, 2020 5:44 am

rberq wrote:
Thu. Oct. 01, 2020 8:20 pm
We had funny smells with Cascade gel also, but I think it was mostly the perfume they put into the product.
This was like a wet dog smell, but it went away with the gel. There is still a smell but it's acceptable.
Also raised the temperature at the water heater to 140 degrees which helped a lot in cleaning. Also I always use the "heated wash" and run the fairly-long "Sani-Rinse" cycle which raises the water temp pretty high.
One of the things I read is the high temp can actually lead to the white film because they are mineral deposits. I have city water and there is carbon filter for the chlorine. Hard water is not issue at least in general.

With the low water usage I'm actually wondering if it's worth it to run hot water to it. By the time the hot water gets to it it's not filling for very long. I have pretty short run from the water heater to dishwasher so it's certainly getting some pre-heated water. If you had long run it's probably something to consider especially if the pipes are not insulated.
I never use the stupid "smart sensor" option that thinks it knows how to get by with very little water. Fortunately we never have been short on water.
I have that, I should probably try it some day.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Oct. 02, 2020 10:42 am

Richard S. wrote:
Fri. Oct. 02, 2020 5:44 am
One of the things I read is the high temp can actually lead to the white film because they are mineral deposits.
If we put stainless steel pots in, they always come out with mineral deposits. In fact I have tried putting a perfectly clean pot in and it STILL came out with deposits. So that seems to agree with the high temperature theory. But everything else gets clean better with hotter water, and pots and pans only get 90 percent clean no matter what, so it's a good tradeoff.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Oct. 02, 2020 12:47 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:
Tue. Sep. 29, 2020 2:47 pm
TV dinners will solve any dishwasher problem!
doordash and ubereats works good too.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Oct. 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Cascade Platinum has cured all my dishwasher woes. It is a little pricey but cheaper than a shrink. Sam's Club puts it on sale once or twice a year.

Does your glassware have a white film that comes off or is it etched? Some dishwasher detergents can etch glass, especially cheap glass. We have a cheap Walmart special that is etched, all other glasses come out sparkling.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 05, 2020 6:11 am

gaw wrote:
Fri. Oct. 02, 2020 12:55 pm
Does your glassware have a white film that comes off or is it etched?
It washes off by hand. As single guy I have been putting everything in the dishwasher, pots and pans included. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't get enough grease removed from them or one of them. I'm going to try making sure nothing really greasy goes in for a while.

I mention this because I read post on another site someone mentioned cleaning a spoon with a lot of Crisco on it. They ended with film on glasses and it took many loads to remove it. I recently started using Crisco instead of vegetable oil for frying.

The other thing is this fully plastic inside. Didn't really occur to me that may be larger issue than metal with greasy stuff. <sigh>

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 9:58 am

Still having problems with this but I think I have narrowed it down to two Yeti mugs I have which are aluminum.

I've have also used vinegar in rinse aid which has worked really well but from what I'm reading the acidity is too high and it could damage the machine. I try and be skeptical of such claims since it could easily be urban myth perpetrated by the rinse aid company. I think I will just occasionally use some diluted vinegar going forward.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 10:15 am

I ended up getting a new dishwasher (GE Profile) and it works absolutely perfectly with Finish tablets, and also the powder detergent that was the fix for our previous (finicky) dishwasher.

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 8:19 pm

You over paid for cheap quality if you bought yeti

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 8:45 pm

Holdencoal wrote:
Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 8:19 pm
You over paid for cheap quality if you bought yeti
Actually they work quite well and probably the best mugs I have had. That said I'd agree, they are not worth the price and I wouldn't pay for them. I paid $0, they were given to me. :D

I particularly like the magnet lid used to close the drink hole. I love simple highly functional designs. Only trouble is you can lose it, I dropped the mug once and it went flying. It doesn't come off easy but will with sharp jolt. Not being concerned about what is growing in that impossible to clean slot on most lids is definite plus. If you don't know what I'm talking about...

Interesting side story. My cousin has smaller Yeti cooler with the ice pack, probably fits about 18 beers or so in it. Dumped some cubed ice in in about 5 pm or so over cold beers. The next morning the remaining beers were encased in solid ice. I know that sounds like BS and I wouldn't believe it myself unless I saw it but that's what happened. I can only guess the ice pack is using some super efficient material....

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 10:11 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Tue. Mar. 09, 2021 9:58 am
.....but I think I have narrowed it down to two Yeti mugs I have which are aluminum.
Appears they are actually SS. <sigh>

Holdencoal

Post by Holdencoal » Wed. Mar. 10, 2021 6:13 am

That said I'd agree, they are not worth the price and I wouldn't pay for them. I paid $0, they were given to me. :D
🤣.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Apr. 08, 2021 6:37 am

Ok so the vinegar wasn't working as well as expected. This film is almost like greasy film but I don't think it's grease because I ran dishwasher on high, steam and sanitize which I would assume should take off any grease. The film was on SS and plastic in disahwasher too.

I soaked all my glassware in vinegar solution for about 15 minutes and then cleaned with scouring pad. Cleaned the entire inside of the dishwasher, even removed the spinners.

Ran just regular load with half detergent, some dirty dishes and I now have nice sparkling glasses. Going forward I'll just use it for glassware, dishes and SS and see if it comes back. If it doesn't come back I'm going to take a guess it was from using it to wash the aluminum non stick pans.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”