Electric Dryer Temperature Control

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Have a Maytag electric dryer that isn't working properly. On air fluff there is no heat as it should be. There are 3 settings for heated cycles, delicate, medium and regular. Whatever the setting, the temperature is 140°. The high limit thermostat functions properly and the cycling thermostat appears to trip properly, but it isn't responding to the different temperature settings. There is a temp switch near the temp dial in the top cover that controls the thermostat. My question is, which part has failed? Link to wiring diagram. https://www.fix.com/models/dryer/maytag/id149662/ ... de7334acx/

The temp switch is unavailable and the thermostat is about $10-15. What's your call?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 7:29 pm

What the hell C---Duct tape!!! :) Seems like the temp switch would work with a new thermostat unless you're convinced the temp switch is trashed.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 7:36 pm

Thinking about it, it could possibly be the heat selector dial too, no?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 7:45 pm

Possible C-- it's kinda like when your "check engine" light comes on--figure about a dozen possibilities!! :(

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Looking at the wiring diagram and your explanation of what's occurring and what isn't, it sounds to me as if the temp switch is the issue. I'm no electric expert, but I have tinkered on dryers here and there. I had a similar issue a few years ago and ended up getting a used thermostat and temp selector switch....there were no parts available and I got the used parts for the dryer for 12 dollars from an old guy that repaired dryers. That got me a year and a half more before the tumbler motor crapped out. Old guy died and they hauled all of his stash off to the land fill. Had to buy a new dryer after 18 years.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Well after studying this it gets weird. There are 5 terminals on the cycling thermostat. One is power in and one is power out. The others it looks like are heaters to trick the thermostat into thinking it is seeing a higher duct temperature. I would assume that's what gives you the lower temperature settings. Now I have to figure out how to test it. Ugh! There's plenty of stuff on the web about testing thermostats, just nothing that addresses this bizarre issue.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 8:58 pm

Not sure if this would help or not. All kinds of stuff on YouTube on testing dryer stuff. Good luck.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 9:21 pm

Old school, but a thermostats job is to click on at a certain temp and shut off at a certain temp. Once they screwed all the simple controls up with modern tech and boards, who knows. If you havent already, google your model number and include your problem after it. There are online parts places that tell what the most likely problem is. If you've done that with no luck, good luck!

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 10:50 pm

Did all that, the thermostat works, just not setting to the lower heat settings. Nothing I've found addresses that issue.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Jul. 03, 2020 1:03 am

I think I understand what's going on. The cooler settings are not working and you basically just have "high".

You have gotten into it, have you tried it with the duct not hooked up? I'm thinking plugged vent duct. Smaller air volume=higher temperature

Another possibility is dead heaters on the cycling thermostat. Got a multi meter?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jul. 03, 2020 6:10 am

The duct isn't plugged. I'm going to pull the front off today and run the meter over the thermostat on each setting and see what's going on. The temperature switch sends different voltages to the heaters for the desired temp setting so that should help figure out what has failed.

carlherrnstein

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Jul. 03, 2020 3:05 pm

Good luck. It's amazing how complicated engineers will make things. Although the market Department gets to have fun with the flaw-feachers.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jul. 03, 2020 4:37 pm

Well I ran it and tested the 3 heater leads in each temperature setting. They changed voltages so I'll assume it needs a cycling thermostat. At this point, it appears to be the least expensive mistake I can make, LOL.

Stephanie30

Post by Stephanie30 » Wed. Feb. 03, 2021 4:25 pm

Have the same problem with my washer. My 8 yo has spilled a honey jar on the top of it ;) The electronic panel and all the buttons got sticky and now it's only working in one mode.

carlherrnstein

Post by carlherrnstein » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 11:39 pm

Mess monsters. Honey is bad when it gets into cracks you just about can't get it out. My tv remote somehow got pancake syrup in it a while back.

Nobody did it 🙄 I ended up taking it apart and scrubbing the rubber button pad and the inside of the case with hot water and a toothbrush. Yes I'm a cheap ass.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”