Watch this Space for Further Developments

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 7:01 pm

With all the extra time that the Black Swan Disease is allowing us, after redoing our Master Bedroom with some measure of success, Katie and I decided we wanted to refresh the main bathroom a little. I know most married couples are probably going to see the stork in 9 months, but for Katie and I, we are just feathering our nest.

It was a single vanity along a 8 foot wall, and so kind of diminutive, and not all that inspiring. We also have four daughters, of which three are teenagers, and the youngest thinks she is 14 (she is really 6) so we needed a bit more early morning production from our bathroom

Over the last year, I added some barn-wood elements to the bathroom, and so my wife decided she wanted a double vanity in barn-wood style. It took me a few hours, but I got the humble beginnings of a double vanity, and keeping with its moniker, at least built it in our barn, even if it is just built from some rough lumber I had kicking around and not real barn-wood.

There is a lot of work left to do, but today we went to the hardware store and picked up almost all the needed supplies. I had a hard time finding 1/2 inch NPT gate valves to make the faucets, and forgot the tail drains for the twin sinks, and have to wait until Monday to get my shiplap boards (we are replacing the drywall behind the vanity), but this should be a quick, easy project overall.

We managed to get everything else, and so it looks to be about a $750 renovation job at this point ($560 so far). Hopefully it will add a little more appeal to our main bathroom when we are done

These first two pictures are of the bathroom as it now is, about to be renovated. (This is a first for us, normally we get half done with a project, and then start taking photos. But this is what we are starting with). The last photo is of the barn-wood double vanity I am in the midst of making. It has a long ways to go I know, but I did manage to get the double sinks installed in it today.
ABJqXnnE_o.jpg
.JPG | 277.6KB | ABJqXnnE_o.jpg
AXMDhh9c_o.jpg
.JPG | 486.3KB | AXMDhh9c_o.jpg
pkQIvp2r_o.jpg
.JPG | 304.1KB | pkQIvp2r_o.jpg

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. Apr. 04, 2020 7:09 pm

Great job and bless your patience being 1 male out of 5.😉

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Apr. 06, 2020 8:02 pm

Wish I had that space in one of our 2 baths...
I'm two of five...
And the Girls still dominate...

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Mon. Apr. 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Keep up the good work!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Apr. 06, 2020 10:20 pm

One bathroom and five women, been there, goooooood luck !!!!! :baby:

I have 1-1/2 bathrooms and it was still not enough with four daughters and a wife all trying to get out to school in the morning (exwife worked at the school back then).

I had to hang another mirror outside one bathroom, with a light over it, and a 20amp outlet just below it for the hair dryer. Plus a cabinet next to it to store the hair dryer, hair brushes, makeup, and other care necessities. That not only helped cut down on the morning screaming fights of, " I need the bathroom", it also reduced how often I had to clean long hair clogs out of sinks. ;)

Paul

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 5:58 am

Jeesh I am sorry guys for the confusion, this is our MAIN bathroom, but not our only one. We also have a half-bath.

Now I sound like CBS News and their Covid19 scandal...but I did not want fake-news on this forum! :-)

We actually have another bathroom in the works as well. That one will be for the Inlaw Apartment. The cabinet you see in the photo will be redone, and I will stick that in that bathroom, along with the mirror, also in the photo.

We really wanted a master bathroom, but my new His Closet, is just not big enough for a husband and wife. Her closet, which is 8x12 is big enough to be converted into a bathroom, but then where would we put all her shoes? :-)

Once the inlaw apartment is completed which will have a full bathroom, with laundry (9 x 12), and then its main room with kitchenette and full appliances: 13 x 22...we might take that on as a master bedroom, but we are not sure.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 6:06 am

But in all fairness can anyone predict the future?

I have not said anything, but my Mom is real sick. She just had surgery to replace her main artery going from her stomach to her neck, passing through the heart with an artificial one. She looks better now...but she has congestive heart failure, and has had it for years, so I think the time is close.

And my father, he has Alzheimer's that is getting worse.

That is okay; we all get old and must pass on: but my parents adopted 6 children, and (2) are down-syndrome sisters. It is hard to describe, but they just could not move. They do not do well with change, and that house is all they know. So I think when my parents go, Katie and I will have to move to my parents home to take care of my sisters. They are good people, and at 20 and 22 have productive jobs, but they can not manage life and a house on their own. They just can't.

So as I said, we might have to move down there when they go (it is 517 feet away). It is big enough for (4) adults and (4) kids though, as they have a 5200 sq foot home with an 8 car garage capacity.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 6:15 am

But talk about humbling...

The person typing this is an idiot...here I go and post about going to college for High Pressure Steam, and what do I do on this build, but go and put (2)...oh no, not just one...but two gate valves in backwards, and get the biggest water hammer possible!

Katie wanted old fashioned faucets, so I made them out of gate-valves, but forgot about flow direction on gate valves and thus put two in backwards. I have to fix those.

But I got a lot done yesterday. I got the old vanity removed, then pulled down the drywall, replumbed the drain lines for (2) sinks, then went to the store and got 112 square feet of shiplap siding, installed that and painted it. Then after having lunch, we brought in the new double vanity from the barn. I had installed the faucets which are a collection of black iron pipe fittings, and gate valves, and hooked it up. That was when I noticed the water hammering. I had to make a conference call for work at that point, but hope to get more done today.

I should be able to fix the gate valves, get the trim put back up, wire in the new lights, put up the new mirrors, and then polyurethane the new vanity. In that sense I will not be done today, as I must put multiple coats of polyurethane on it, but hopefully it will be usable today.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 7:20 am

I wish you'd cut those pix down to size N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 8:53 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 7:20 am
I wish you'd cut those pix down to size N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The issue is not the size of the pictures, it is because he uploads the images to a different website, and then links to them. I have asked him before to stop doing this because it creates problems with broken links down the road - although it would seem he forgot, again.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 11:27 am

Well, seems like he done went & done it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice S--Thanx for explanation Rob. :) S, how come ya didn't do the double sinks????????

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 4:10 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Apr. 07, 2020 11:27 am
Well, seems like he done went & done it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice S--Thanx for explanation Rob. :) S, how come ya didn't do the double sinks????????
Rob must have fixed the pictures...I did not realize they had an issue, on my end they looked just fine.

As for the double sinks, yes I installed double sinks, at least in the main bathroom. The other half-bath has a pedestal sink, but only because it is so tiny...a 4 x 8 room. The inlaw apartment will also have a single sink just because it is tucked between the shower and its closet.

I managed to get this project done today. I got the shiplapped walls done, then trimmed everything up, got everything painted that was supposed to be, installed the two lights, installed the two mirrors, and the fixed the valves I had in backwards. Then it was on to putting at least one coat of polyurethane on the new vanity. And finally, I installed the backsplash.

In the end it took 4 days, and about $850. It is not a look for everyone, but it was what Katie wanted, and is a lot brighter, and larger looking now.

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Wed. Apr. 08, 2020 7:49 pm

Sounds good, any pictures coming of the finished project?

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Apr. 09, 2020 5:46 am

I was hoping to have some by now, but I am having trouble with the flanges leaking. I was hoping a second round would fix the issue, but it di not. I had to do it anyway because the valves were in backwards, so those have been fixed, but they are still leaking around the flange.

I got some ideas how to fix that, but was at work yesterday, and will be again today.

But I also wanted to get some more coats of polyurethane on, and Katie wanted to get some towel holders made. Their position will mask the pex plumbing underneath. I hate plumbing so I just go with pex to make it easy, but they can take away from the look of the room that is for sure.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Apr. 09, 2020 6:46 am

Sooooo N, how's work goin with your young gangsters? :) I worked a couple yrs. with DYS in Melrose, Ma.-- Interesting experience.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”