Olive oil lamp

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Mar. 16, 2020 8:31 pm

I had a gallon of rancid olive oil I didn’t want to waste. I decided to make a simple oil lamp. I coiled some bailing wire and ran a piece of flat stove gasket up through it and fastened to the top. I set it in a candle holder and poured the oil over it with a good amount at the base. Lit it off. It burned great. No smell and a heck of a bright flame. Very dangerous so I don’t recommend anyone else do it. Leave it to the professional firebugs.

Attachments

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 16, 2020 9:08 pm

LOL--indeed F!!! :)

Kligan

Post by Kligan » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 5:27 pm

I had a bad experience with what you just made... never again! And yes, by all means... I'll definitely not try again. I was thinking just like you: why should I waste rancid olive oil? Plus, I have also seen a vintage movie that showed a couple standing next to a lamp like this, so the romantic in me had to do it. God bless youtube tutorials, but not really because the curtain caught fire. Needless to say, how embarrassed I was when the firemen came as well as the police. It's somehow a funny story. I mean, I'm glad that it didn't burn my whole house down, God forbid. Ever since I stick to LITELUME LED lights.
Last edited by Kligan on Wed. Apr. 21, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 7:22 pm

Then by all means K, don't do it again! :)

dorothydun

Post by dorothydun » Sun. Aug. 01, 2021 3:00 pm

I adore vintage style, and I'm looking for lamps that could decorate my house beautifully. I didn't find anything to my liking, either the quality was poor, or the price was too exaggerated, or I didn't like the model. By chance, I found a very beautiful website with a lot of models that I liked. They have a huge variety in everything, so it was difficult for me to choose something specific. So I took more things than I planned, but they look great in my house.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”