Getting Rid of the Weirdness

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 1:28 pm

Katie and I thought we might work on the bedroom of our house. I hesitate to call it the master bedroom because we are not sure if it is going to stay that way. We are working (slowly) on an inlaw apartment too, and so we might take that as a master bedroom when we are done...I am not sure. We have teenagers, so maybe they will take that Inlaw Apartment over too? That is 14 x22 with a kitchenette, then off that a 9x12 full bathroom with laundry.

But right now we have a 16 x 16 bedroom that is kind of goofy. It used to be a 16 x 12 bedroom when we had a hallway that went by it, then out a back door. But it looked like a hotel room walking down the hall. So we truncated the hallway where the doors led to the bedrooms on the left and right. Then we put in a 4 x 4 closet for stuff like board games, crafts, and that sort of thing. Then we took out a wall in our bedroom and made it a bit bigger by 4 x 8. But for a bedroom it looked goofy; we had an exterior door, and the room was U-shaped.

So Katie decided she wanted a shoe closet there instead. That will get rid of the exterior door, then take out another window so we can put a bed against that wall. Then take out the window that is left, and put in a big patio door instead.

This will give us two closets in that bedroom. The master closet that is 8 x 12 feet will be for Katie and I, then the new walk-in shoe closet that will be 4 x 8.

Down the road we might turn the bigger walk-in closet into another bathroom, or maybe not...we are not sure. That would make it a master bedroom suite, but with a tiny 4x8 walk-in closet.

So anyway, today I framed up the new shoe closet just for something to do. So I will put the cogeneration set on hold, and work on this for awhile.
Rooms.jpg
.JPG | 54.7KB | Rooms.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 3:23 pm

You're just a wild man N!!!!!!!!! LOL Using what ya got to the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it :)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 5:49 pm

Run What Ya' Brung!! If You don't like it,change it! You've got this,NS!!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 7:15 pm

I have a walk in shoe closet, I walk in the front door and someone on the floor is three pair of boots or my slip on casual shoes I wear around the house wherever I took them off. :D

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Same here Richard.....

Kevin

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 5:08 am

Richard S. wrote:
Sun. Mar. 01, 2020 7:15 pm
I have a walk in shoe closet, I walk in the front door and someone on the floor is three pair of boots or my slip on casual shoes I wear around the house wherever I took them off. :D
We got that as well! :-)

One of the best things we ever built in this house was a mudroom. It was 13 x 18, so I split it in half, and then I built "lockers", one for each of our four daughters, and then one for Katie and I. That really helps clean up the clutter for everyday shoes, jackets and hats out of the main part of the house.

The interesting thing was, that mudroom was a shed that my Grandmother had. We started by pouring a concrete slab for it by hand, then I jacked it up, put skids under it, and then hauled it across the road with my tractor. I then added a porch to the front of it, and was going to use it as a boiler room, and even hooked my wood/coal boiler up, but then we decided we wanted it as a mudroom more, so I took the boiler back out. Today the mudroom has radiant floor heat.

You can actually see the shed as it was over to my Grandmother's house in the first picture: it is white, and right behind my tractor. In that picture, we are making the concrete slab by hand. We do a lot of our own concrete here because I have a gravel pit so I just have to buy the bags of cement, making the cost hardly anything per cubic yard. The inside picture shows how the inside of the mudroom looks now. The kids lockers are on the left, and Katie and mine are shown straight ahead.

The other half of the mudroom not seen, is going to be a 9 x 13 bathroom for the Inlaw Apartment.

Attachments

100_2754.JPG
.JPG | 719.7KB | 100_2754.JPG
DSCN0823.JPG
.JPG | 335.2KB | DSCN0823.JPG

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 5:30 am

That works well for giving our outer clothing and everyday shoes a place to be stored, but what about day guests?

Just inside our front door we have our "entryway". Again, you guys know I live out my mantra: Do as much for myself as I can", which means I dug the slate from my back pasture with a bulldozer, split it by hand into 2 inch thick slabs, and then made my own mortar to chink between the rocks. Underneath is radiant floor tubing so in the rocks are warm, and cool in the summer when the heat is off.

Then right beside the front door, I have a built-in bench seat.

This works well because we are a shoeless-house, and the slate flooring is a semi barrier, so people who come into the house tend to stay right at that spot if they are not staying long, and yet do not have to take their shoes off. If they want to sit and chat, there is a seat right there where they can be comfortable. The seat flips up so there is storage underneath, and the back of the seat flips down too. This is where I store my guns. Yes, loaded, and right beside the door, because no kid at 2 AM is going to surprise me unaware again.

A half-bath is just to the right of the door so the kids can come in from playing outside, and go to the bathroom.

This is that bench and slate I was talking about, but for whatever reason the photo has a tinge to it. Our house is not THAT dirty. I am a trophy-husband, what do you think I do all day...clean!
DSCN0717.JPG
.JPG | 476.8KB | DSCN0717.JPG

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 9:43 am

NoSmoke wrote:
Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 5:08 am
We got that as well! :-)

One of the best things we ever built in this house was a mudroom.
I'm single, no mud room. They may be near the bed, in the kitchen, by the recliner, bathroom.... :lol:

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 3:56 pm

Oh, so what you are saying is, you need a woman to help better train you! (LOL)

(Richard, I hope you know I am just teasing you? I mean no malice in the above reply)

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Incidentally, Katie had the day off, so I spent the day with her.

That meant grocery shopping, and picking some stuff up from the store. I got some electrical stuff, and managed to wire up a few outlets, and the ceiling light, so that aspect is at least done.

I tried to convince her to keep one of the windows in place, but she was adamant that it should be removed, and the hole plugged up. It will make for a warmer room. The warmest window in the world has an R-Factor of 3, and an insulated wall is R-20, so closing up a 3 x 4 window on the north wall makes sense...just more work for me.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 8:45 pm

NoSmoke wrote:
Mon. Mar. 02, 2020 3:56 pm
Oh, so what you are saying is, you need a woman to help better train you! (LOL)
I prefer to look at it other way. <makes whipping sound>.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 7:00 am

Yeah my second wife tried to train me, but that did not go over well. (Katie is my third just to avoid confusion)

My first wife...well she did not do that, but she was very, very social. I mean very social.

It was not all bad: I knew she was good in bed because everyone in town told me she was! :yes:

But as sad as it is being wed three times, I can at least say: I have not missed a year. I was married in August 1995, then got divorced in January of 2005, remarried in October 2005, then got divorced in May 2011, and married Katie in July 2011; 54 days later. :angel:

I guess I just do not like to cook.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 7:09 am

I was able to make some more headway on this project yesterday though.

I talked with Katie, and she said she really wanted the middle window removed even though it would be quite a bit of extra work to do it. I was not doing anything anyway, so I ripped off the trim, removed the window, and then reframed the hole with some lumber I had kicking around. I even had some insulation and drywall, so I managed to fill the gap and get the first coat of drywall compound on it.

My house has wooden shingles for siding, and I did not have enough cedar shingles kicking around to do that, so I did not get that done granted, but it was some work accomplished on this project anyway.

We do have a cedar shingle mill here, but we always buy our shingles just because operating the shingle mill is so dangerous to fingers.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 4:15 pm

I did pretty good again today.

I removed the old door that looked kind of odd in our bedroom, and managed to put in some framing, and get the sheathing buttoned up. That was pretty good since it was raining when I did it. I did not have any OSB kicking around in the size I needed, but I got a sawmill, so I just used boards off the sawmill.

That was okay, but today it is blowing 50 mph winds, so it was whipping through the cracks in the boards. I put some insulation in, but the wind was blowing it out as fast as I could tap it back in. I finally got it secured in place, but I had Katie buy some spray cans of insulation on her way home from work, and I stopped those wind-filled drafts that way.

The window is all but done. I got (4) coats of drywall compound on the drywall where the window was, and even managed to get it painted.

You can definitely feel the difference in the bedroom now heat-wise. We had bought Marvin Windows when we built that section of the house, and I hated those crap-windows the day we put them in, and loved ripping those crap-windows out. Normally I am nice pulling doors and windows out because you never know where you might need them, but with these...I do not know. They are such crap, I think putting them in an old barn would be doing an old barn a disservice. I am pretty sure you would get less drafts if you left the hole where the window would go!

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 09, 2020 7:08 am

We are making some pretty good headway.

We have cedar shingles on our house for siding, so I was able to get some cedar shingles...spending wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much money on some bundles in order to do it. I am not sure why the price jumped so much because what I swear what they sell for a #2 clear shingle, is actually a #3. We do have a shingle mill, but we tend to like our fingers so we typically buy shingles instead of sawing our own, but at these prices...I am paying with an arm and a leg anyway, so lobbing off a few fingers might be well worth it.

I did get the window and door sided in, while Katie painted the inside of the bedroom. Then after church yesterday I went up to ye ole sawmill, found some lumber, and an hour later managed to have a decent barn-board headboard that Katie wanted. I painted the rough lumber with barn-board paint, but to me it just looks like gray paint, and not like real-barn wood, so I guess I got scammed on that.

But with so much free-time since the headboard only took an hour to make, I took some white pine that I had sawed last winter, and made a footboard bench. A bed needs some sort of footboard to look good, but a footboard makes the bed harder to make, so Katie wanted something there, but something that she could move out of the way. Plus it is nice to have a place to sit down and put shoes on and such. But atlas, the lumber was stored in the barn and had ice on it, so after I built the bench, I put it in the house to thaw out.

After it dries out, I will paint it, and get some pictures.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”