Getting Rid of the Weirdness

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 09, 2020 12:50 pm

As promised I got some pictures of the work that has been done.

Just to orient yourself, where the headboard now is, was once a 3 x 4 foot window, now removed and filled in. The new closet (unfinished) is just out of sight on the left, and the window on the left is going to be taken out, and a patio door installed instead.

Ahead you will see the new headboard, and for those that care about such things, it is built out of western red cedar, and spruce. As I said, the paint is supposed to make the headboard look like weathered wood, but I do not see it, but it is what it is.

The footboard bench is made out of white pine; grown, felled, limbed, bucked, hauled, sawn into lumber, dried, and made into the bench all right here on this farm. It is kind of neat to take a tree from stump to bedroom furniture I think, but you can be the judge.
DSCN0851.JPG
.JPG | 455.6KB | DSCN0851.JPG

NoSmoke
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 09, 2020 12:53 pm

I am really itching to build the two side tables as OBVIOUSLY those two bedside tables are not staying, but Katie has not decided what she wants yet. I have the lumber to make them, but with this sort of thing, it is always best to get the Domestic Supervisor's input (wife) before proceeding.

I think it will look good when we are done.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Mar. 11, 2020 4:07 pm

I managed to get out in the barn today and get something done on this project. After deciding what my wife wanted for two matching bedside tables, we went to the store yesterday and picked up some hardware. Then today I grabbed some lumber I had, and started to build the cabinets.

They are nothing super-fancy, just bedside tables 30 inches high, 32 inches long, and 18 inches wide. Underneath there is a cubby half-hidden by a barn door that slides on custom tracks and wheels.

But determined not to have SSS...which is Second Sock Syndrome; this is the name knitters give the issue of making a sock in two days, then taking two months to make the second sock. So to eliminate that, I built both bedside tables at the same time so I would be assured to have two matching pairs in a timely manner.

Except I am a complete idiot.

When I was at the hardware store picking up rollers, I picked up two, never thinking I needed (2) per barn door, and thus I needed FOUR in all.

So I got one completely done, and have to put the door on the second one tomorrow. Then I just got to prep them for paint, and throw on a coat of that barn-wood gray, and see how they look.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Mar. 11, 2020 4:13 pm

I picked out some interesting wood for this project: wormy wood. I did not plane the lumber down, but rather I put it all together in rough-lumber form, then took a sander and sanded the front and sides to 60 grit. So it is pretty rough, but not raw-wood rough. I kind of like the look, and think with the gray weathered paint, it might actually look like barn-wood.

I am not sure how Katie will feel. If she wants a more refined look, I can fill the holes, sand it down to a finer grit, then apply the paint. We shall see.

As for real barn-wood. I have made some projects out of it, but it is really hard to work with. It is VERY brittle and can break and flake off. Katie did not want that because she did not want the old wood getting on the bedding.

Pictures will be coming as soon as I am done with the two bedside tables.

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Mon. Mar. 16, 2020 4:12 am

Well I got a lot done on this project over the weekend.

Katie just picked up the rollers for that matching bedside table last night, so that is not yet done, but she bought matching lamps for the bedroom, and they look really nice. We also got two, on-the-headboard lights so we can read at night.

I managed to get the closet door hung, then drywall installed, some mudding done, but all the baseboard, closet door trim, and crown molding installed. This is both in the bedroom, and inside the closet, so it just seems like a list, but it was a lot of fussy work with many trips back and forth to the barn. My baseboard is unique in that it has a lot of curves and height changes as it flows around the room, into corners, and up and over doors.

One rule of construction for me too that is unique, is that every wall in my home is insulated, even the inside walls. I did that on this closet as well, mostly for sound control. So the bedroom is really quiet now because there is two inside insulated wall between the next bedroom.

The patio door should arrive this week, so hopefully in the next few weeks I will get a good weather weekend to put that in.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 16, 2020 5:48 am

Bout time ya got a couple things COMPLETED N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Sounds like ya had a productive week-end my young friend!!! :)

NoSmoke

Post by NoSmoke » Sun. Mar. 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Well I finally got this project finished. It took a couple of days to get the door in, the drywall placed and mudded in, then paint and all the trim. That included an outside light over the new patio door. But it is done, with the exception of some new flooring for the "His Closet", and this is the results.

As for details, at the moment anyway, it is a Master Bedroom with his and her walk-in closets, his being 4x9 and hers being 8 x 12. The bedroom itself is 16 x 12 not including any closet space.

Since the last update, I built (2) matching barn-wood bedside tables, my wife bought matching lamps, and then we installed two lights over the headboard for reading. I then installed the patio door to give the room some light.

Total cost was:
Custom Made Door: $900
Framing Lumber: $327
Lamps: $60
Hardware: 250
Total: $1537

(This is a photo looking over the bedroom from His Closet door, to the door of Her Closet).

(This is the same view as before, but with the new patio door installed).

(This is the Her Closet).

(This is the His Closet)

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”