Hotpoint Supermatic Dual Burner Element

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Feb. 18, 2020 6:12 am

I have cooktop from the 70's with one burner that is odd, it does not work. After my excitment this morning with the other burner I decided to investigate this. Cant' really find anything online.

The dial for it has temperature setting so I don't know if the "switch" in the middle is thermostatic or what. I guess the middle burner can go on by itself?

I just need it to work, doesn't need to work as it did. Not sure if it's the switch, burner or the dial. Any suggestions to diagnose or cheap/easy fix?

Attachments

100_2081.JPG
.JPG | 292.6KB | 100_2081.JPG
100_2082.JPG
.JPG | 297KB | 100_2082.JPG

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Feb. 18, 2020 9:52 pm

Getting somewhere, the elements are in parallel. Realized the one on the ther side was eaxct same element minus the switch so I tried the non working element on and I have one element that works. I'll need to replace but I know it's not the element. Hooked the known good element up to the non working side, jumped the switch and it works.

Problem now is it's thermostatic switch, this is for the stove top burner but it has degrees on the one dial instead of the normal high, low etc. With it jumped putting it any setting produces high. I'm calling it a switch but really no idea what the real name is.

Can't find this switch anywhere online but haven't really looked closely yet. Going to call around to some of the local appliance places, might get lucky. If not I'll look into putting regular dial on it, put my dial on ebay for stupid amount of money. :D

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 1:36 pm

I'm running into a brick wall. The only numbers listed on the plate on the stove is a catalog number and serial number. No reference for the catalog number anywhere online or from any appliance places.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Looks similar to this thing:

https://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-sur ... 85460.html

maybe give them a call and see if they can help? that switch is probably used in a dozen different cooktop/range models.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Feb. 19, 2020 2:31 pm

That's not even close, here is what is hopefully better picture. It sits in the middle of the burner where you usually have that round cap that is for decoration. It's spring loaded so that round metal bowl presses against the pot. It's not switched by depressing it though, there is some kind of thermostat in it. Apparently if you turned it on say 200 degrees the elements would get red hot and as the pot got hot bring the temperature of the element down . Actually sounds pretty cool if it worked.

Note I popped the metal bowl off the base to see if I could seen anything wrong. I tested for continuity from the leads to sprung metal contacts and that is good. There is no continuity between the two sprung contacts so the thermostat, sensor or whatever it is on top inside of the metal bowl is faulty.

I can't jump it because the element just goes to high and stays there. There is two junk yards nearby and I'm going to go poking around there tomorrow. Also going to see if I can get number off the regular dial and if I can find one of those I'll be able to wire it up without the thermostat switch.

Attachments

100_2090.JPG
.JPG | 298.9KB | 100_2090.JPG
100_2091.JPG
.JPG | 265.5KB | 100_2091.JPG

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Feb. 20, 2020 6:59 pm

I was able to get the part number on an appliance forum, you guys are of no use. :P

WB21X5058

Can't find any for sale on the internet. :o This is my life.... Anyhow the prices listed were like $280 and there is one on Ebay slightly different number for $100 which even if the price was right wasn't getting installed anyway. If I was retrofitting a 70's kitchen with a I don't care budget might be worth it.

New control is less than $20 so that's the end of that. Just wire it in so it's normal.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 10:14 pm

Ordered the control, a 8" inch burner, a 6" burner to replace the one that exploded and a universal knob kit with 4 knobs. Knob kit was $10, original OEM knob was $30.... Total is about $70.

I'll put my four knobs and the fancy control on Ebay, perhaps I'll make a profit. :D The knob with the numbers and the control may actually be worth something. Someone wants it. I had a guy buy a non working radar range off me but it was in really good shape otherwise. Drove two hours to get it... He was doing a retro kitchen in his basement.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sat. Feb. 22, 2020 10:48 pm

I have an old Hotpoint wall oven. It might be original, house was built in 65’. I replaced the lower element a few years back, hell of a time finding one that worked. I think the thermostat is on it’s way out. It won’t hold temp for anything. Temp is always slightly off. I did find adjustment markings on the back of the actual temperature knob. The outer ring is adjustable to help match up the temp markings on the knob to the actual oven temp. Quite interesting calibration method. Searched the internet high and low, no luck. I managed to track down a contact from the company. They referred to the parts for this particular model as “vintage”. No parts available, everything is obsolete. All in all...oven is still kicking!

Attachments

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 8:26 am

You have newer version than I have. This one has rotisserie which apparently doesn't work, not sure about the temperature probe. Everything else works including the clock. These appliances had the benefit of little use after the 80's. My one aunt moved in sometime in the 80's, she passed in the early 90's and they have pretty much went unused until now.

Attachments

100_2094.JPG
.JPG | 404.4KB | 100_2094.JPG

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 10:37 am

Nice oven Richard. My clock works, but the knob recently broke so it’s a pita to adjust now! Surprisingly everything works well on it for it’s age.

Attachments

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”