Anyone heat with coal boiler

Hanila

Post by Hanila » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 5:12 am

I'm in the early stages of starting to build a pole barn/shop. I am thinking of using a coal boiler to heat both the shop and my home. I would be tying the coal boiler into my homes oil fired boiler. I'm in nj and close to pa and I have access to a dump truck to get the coal myself. I burn about 900 gallons of oil a year for my home and its adding up 3.50 a gallon. I dont want coal in my home since its a little dirty.

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 6:10 am

Welcome to the site. To answer your question...yup. Depending on how much heat you need at least one of us here has made it happen for themselves. Personally I heat a 1200 sq foot garage with 15' ceilings, a 1240 sq foot home, and 50 gallons of hot water all season long with buckwheat coal in an Axeman Anderson boiler in the garage.

Keeps the house a steady whatever temp my wife likes, usually around 72ish, the garage at 60 unless I'm working out there, and endless hot water. We also have propane and I work for an LP company if that tells you anything. It's just not the same heat even though I could probably heat cheaper with it.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 6:49 am

Welcome. There are many people that have done exactly what you are proposing. How large is the shop you are planning?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 28, 2019 10:05 am

Would the coal boiler have a seperate room within the pole building? And have an outside source for combustion air?

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Fri. Nov. 29, 2019 10:04 am

Great setup ,especially if the shop is attached to your house. Some have their stokers in their garage, makes it easy to clean up the ashes and store the coal and helps keep the garage warm. I used to burn 3 to 4+ tanks of oil a yr (750 to 1000+ gallons) .Now burn 3 to 4 ton of coal. I dont heat a garage though.

Runcot

Post by Runcot » Thu. Dec. 26, 2019 6:13 am

Check your insurance and check the building inspector. There may be rules against a solid fueled heating plant.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”