Garage Floor Epoxy Coating.

Ilelvena

Post by Ilelvena » Fri. Sep. 20, 2019 9:59 am

Ok, So here is my story. Over the past two months I have been trying to get my garage floor epoxy coating done. I researched it on here and went with the Rustoleam Professional 2 part epoxy coat in gloss silver and gray.

I didn't really want the gloss or think I was getting it until I got the stuff.

I spent about 2 months cleaning out the garage of all the new construction supplies and power washing the floor. I then acid washed the floor with muriatic acid. I left it dry for 1/.5 weeks. It is cold here in Utah but the garage is closed in and I have a double heating system and have have kept it at 50 degrees or higher.

So I put down 8 gallons of this stuff from 4 kits. This actual application took 8-12 hours about 2-3 hours for start, mix, wait, paint cleanup, relax.

AND NOW FOR MY DISAPPOINTING results.

Each kit did the same thing. The floor came out Blotchy, or streaked, or 1/2 really glossy and nice then lines all dull and matte finished. It looks like the streaks where I pour the paint out of the bucket, or where I poured the acid on the floor to etch it.

I am thinking I will put a clear coat over it, I will try this on one section to see what kind of results I get. But this will double my cost and add to my efforts.

Anyone else have this result?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 20, 2019 10:48 am

Did you test for moisture before you did all this? Without a barrier under the concrete good luck getting anything to stick. Just tape down a piece of plastic/rubber/foil on the bare concrete and wait a day or two. Peel it up, if dry there is a barrier. If wet, you're done.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Sep. 20, 2019 10:58 am

Did the epoxy instructions say to use acid as part of the prep ?

I've heard that acid etching can cause problems with the concrete and possibly with whatever is used as a coating if the acid is not completely neutralized with baking soda and rinsed well with water.

We used to paint the concrete shop floors in the boatyard I worked in once a year, then spend the next month or two of raining days trying not to slip and fall on our butts when the floor got wet. Gloss finish on floors is as bad as ice when it gets wet. After he almost got hurt, the boss finally let us mix painter's sand in the paint.

I just put a clear concrete sealer on my shop floor which mostly soaked in and doesn't make the floor slippery. 20 years as a full time work shop and the floor is not worn and making dust. Oil spills get kitty litter spread and ground-in with my shoe, then left overnight to absorb almost all of it. Then those areas are not slippery, either.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Fri. Sep. 20, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Sep. 20, 2019 11:47 am

I had someone ask me about re-doing their epoxy painted garage floor that didn't turn out so well. I wanted no part of trying to correct that situation with another attempt at epoxy paint. I suggested they look at the interlocking tiles that are available and they are going to go with that. Theirs is a residential use not industrial so those tiles should survive just fine. The product reviews and online garage/car enthusiast forums seem to like them.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Sep. 20, 2019 12:51 pm

I suggested they look at the interlocking tiles that are available and they are going to go with that.
Epoxy paints stink. Thx for the tip on looking at newer products. Now I have to get off myass and do something. Sigh.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”