New to Me Lawnmower -OR- Why I love rich People

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jul. 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Was just given a Husqvarna AWD, (yes AWD) walk behind lawnmower. This one retails for about $500. My Aunt and Uncle just came in from NC and their neighbor purchased this a short while ago. They were using it to cut a hill and it it would occasionally cut out, my guess is starved for gas. Based on how the wheels look doesn't appear to be used much. I guess this Spring they went to start it and it wouldn't start so they just went and bought another one... must be nice.

He knew I needed a lawnmower or at least better one than I was using so he took it when they offered it. The lawn here is little small for rider but it's not a 30 minute job with push behind. When he got here it would start and instantly cut off.

First thing I did was dump the gas and it didn't look bad, least no water. Took the end bolt off the bowl to drain that. New gas and it's running however not running very well at all. Took the carb apart and the bowl was filled with crap, it was like some kind of corrosion with a brownish look. Carb cleaner and toothbrush didn't touch it so I needed to use wire brush. It was coming off like talcum powder with light brown color. Cleaned the jets etc. Put it back together and it works perfect.

Changed the oil and sharpened the blade. Thank you Mr, rich Guy. :D

Personally it's not something I would buy because I don't need a AWD lawnmower, just more *censored* to break as far as I'm concerned. It does work really nice. It has a Honda engine and to start it everything is automatic, just pull the handle. I did adjust the governor spring a little to get a few more RPM's out if it but that's it. It has two levers on it for the drive. You can use either of them to engage all four wheels and the more you pull the faster it goes. The reason for the two levers is if your hand gets tired you can switch hands.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Jul. 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Now if someone would just give me an almost new John Deere to replace my aged and well used 445, that would be great.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jul. 10, 2019 8:36 pm

My push lawnmower had similar corrosion. I cleaned it out and switched to only using e-free gas and no more problems. Even after it sits over the winters, gas it up, hit the primer button a few times, and it starts on first pull.

Hadn't used the snowblower in a couple of years and last gas in it was winter ethanol. Needed it last winter and it would not run without full choke and barely even at that. Opened carb and it had worse corrosion than the lawnmower. That took putting all the carb parts in my ultrasonic parts cleaner tank. Put it back together, filled it with e-free winter gas and it runs fine.

Paul

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Wed. Jul. 10, 2019 9:01 pm

That’s awesome Richard, the best things in life really are free. It doesn’t happen here very often but occasionally someone else’s loss can be my gain.

The living room furniture set in this house is nearly brand new courtesy of my MIL. She lives by herself, is hardly ever at home so it had hardly any ass-miles on it at all. She had it for a year, grew tired of it, bought herself something different and new, and sold it to us for peanuts on what she paid for it. It’s top of the line stuff so I feel like a real high roller sitting here at night enjoying my warmer-than-average house.

The hard hat that I use every day when I’m out of the truck was a brand new one that I picked up off the side of the road a few years ago that apparently fell off the back of a pickup truck. Many other examples of thinks grabbed off the berm over the years.

I have learned to never, ever, ever look a gift horse in the mouth. If worse comes to worse, it can join the illustrious scrap pile back behind my shop to be turned in for a few $$$ at a later date if nothing else.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jul. 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Wed. Jul. 10, 2019 8:36 pm
My push lawnmower had similar corrosion. I cleaned it out and switched to only using e-free gas and no more problems.
I'm aware of the issues with it, I work on the weekends at my buddies store and he does small engine repairs. You would not believe the amount of water coming out of some of those tanks. There is a gas station a few miles from here that sells ethanol free gas but it's almost $4 a gallon. No big deal over the few gallons I'll use.

Everything two cycle I use premixed which is even more expensive but you can even tell the difference in performance. It's not difficult to justify the expense especially after seeing all the gas related issues at my buddies shop.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Thu. Jul. 11, 2019 7:34 am

Congratulations on the lawn mower, Richard. Yes sir, small engines do NOT like ethanol. I buy Avgas at the Nashua airport for all my small engines. (4 Briggs & Stratton, 1 Tecumseh, 2 chain saws, and a weed wacker) At $5.25/gallon is still cheaper than repairs, and they run better.

AWD lawnmower- put a plow on it, and clear the sidewalk this Winter!!!!

Cheers

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Jul. 11, 2019 11:08 am

Yup AVgas is way cheaper than the $18/gal in the big box store...

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jul. 11, 2019 11:52 am

Yup, the ethanol gas is no savings. The time I spent fixing the carbs, I could have spent at work fixing customer's carbs and earned enough to buy more e-free gas than I'd use in several years of summer and winter.

Paul

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Thu. Jul. 11, 2019 6:48 pm

What about the AWD... how does that work and how heavy is it? That thing should just about walk up a tree if you would let it.

If it’s a Husqvarna it should be well built.

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Thu. Jul. 11, 2019 7:31 pm

I have a Husq front drive with Honda as well and it absolutely hates e-gas. I use either e-free or AV fuel and it runs problem free. I also have two Husqie Swedish riders (Briggs & Stranton motors) and they have the same problem as well with e-gas. Must be the way Husq sets up the motors.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jul. 11, 2019 7:51 pm

CoalJockey wrote:
Thu. Jul. 11, 2019 6:48 pm
What about the AWD... how does that work and how heavy is it?
It's really no more heavy than most lawnmowers. There is single belt for both the front and rear wheels. I don't know how well it will work on hill compared to other lawnmowers and I'm not going to be able to find out unless I build one. Obviuosly it should work better, the one thing I don't like is the rear wheels are normal sized.

This guy here has lot of complaints about it clogging up but he's walking awfully fast with it. Grass is pretty thick and looks to at least be damp.

I'll see, if it sucks...oh well. :D

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 9:19 am

If it repeatedly clogs up, put the "clip on" side clippings exit chute on it.

Related, but not relevant to the topic at hand: For those looking for Honda "like" lawn mower engine performance (as in, starts on the first pull virtually every time) on the cheap, the Harbor Freight lawn mower replacement engines are rumored to be decent Chinese clones, at less than half the Honda engine price. And they will apparently fit most any standard mower deck.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 9:46 am

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 9:19 am
If it repeatedly clogs up, put the "clip on" side clippings exit chute on it.
That would of came with it but I don't have it. Something like that is going to be difficult to come by, I don't believe they are standard. My buddy has a nice revolving collection of dead lawnmowers he keeps the customers will usually just give him if they aren't worth fixing but that is usually not something on the mower when he gets them.

I think it's going to be fine, be finding out shortly because it's grass cutting day.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 9:51 am

Richard S. wrote:
Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 9:46 am
That would of came with it but I don't have it. Something like that is going to be difficult to come by, I don't believe they are standard.
I have the FWD version of the same mower (as a gift from our kids, who got tired of seeing me exhaust myself pulling the rope on the old mower), and the side exit chute came with mine. Perhaps you could contact Husqvarna for one. It cured my issues with the mower clogging up.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 12:45 pm

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 9:51 am
Perhaps you could contact Husqvarna for one.
I'm sure I can find one, perhaps even at my buddies place bu I'll see how it works. Looking at the underside of the deck it appears I could just fabricate a piece of sheet metal for it...

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”