New to Me Lawnmower -OR- Why I love rich People

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 1:38 pm

There is a rod that the closed side exit ports black rubber/plastic "mulching mode side exit cover plate" pivots up/down upon, with spring assist. The side exit chute I have simply clips onto that pivot rod and dangles below the "mulching mode side exit cover plate" (which then "sort of" springs back down and holds the side exit chute in place by spring tension). The side exit port is very cheaply made of flimsy plastic, and it more than occasionally falls off, as there is little to prevent it from doing so. You might be best served by making your own. The factory one is a kludge.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 5:17 pm

lsayre wrote:
Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 1:38 pm
There is a rod that the closed side exit ports black rubber/plastic "mulching mode side exit cover plate" pivots up/down upon, with spring assist. The side exit chute I have simply clips onto that pivot rod and dangles below the "mulching mode side exit cover plate" (which then "sort of" springs back down and holds the side exit chute in place by spring tension). The side exit port is very cheaply made of flimsy plastic, and it more than occasionally falls off, as there is little to prevent it from doing so. You might be best served by making your own. The factory one is a kludge.
If I make anything it will be to block that hole on the back so there is no where for the grass to build up. I'd only need to cut it out to whatever the shape is and round it a little. It can be attached right to the deck on one side and the plastic shroud on the other side. It will be removable but the chances of me needing to remove it so I can use the bag are slim to none.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jul. 12, 2019 8:52 pm

It was was clogging up but I turned the RPM up a little more, seems to be ok now. By ear doesn't sound to be running too fast. Not sure how you would check. Off too Google it. :D

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jul. 13, 2019 5:29 am

Congrats on the free mower! Sweet. Yup... SO many small engines go to the junk yard with just "green slime syndrome"... even if it's some other color. Lot's a places around here now have "real gas" for just under $4 a gallon.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jul. 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Another score today, a guy brought a weed whacker back he bought a few weeks ago asking to return it because he needed the money. He didn't even run through the factory line yet. It's practically brand new. My buddy offered him $20 less than he would of paid for new one from Stihl... it's the cheapest one they make but hard to beat the price of $20 less than dealer cost.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Jan. 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Trufuel, the best thing that Lowes or Home Depot sells!

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Jan. 03, 2020 8:04 pm

my local wawa has ethanol free fuel now, 91 octane, 3 dollars a gallon. i use that in the town car and the f-250 and the small engines now.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Apr. 25, 2020 12:10 pm

What piece of crap, took three whole pulls to start after sitting all winter. :D There is no primer bulb.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Damn Richard--??????????? I'd trash it--of course I don't have enough ass to even try to start my old STIHL weed-whackere--YET--!! Actually I'm envious!!! :)

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Apr. 20, 2021 9:09 pm

First mow of the season. Sharpened the blade and put it back on, filled it with gas and it was prime time. First pull...nothing but not unexpected since I emptied it of gas before winter. Second pull... nothing but not completely unexpected. Third pull......nothing, rut roh. Fouth, fifth and sixth....zilch, not even a sputter.... mother trucker.....

Then the golden bulb went off. I took the spark plug wire off for the blade sharpening. Started right up.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jun. 04, 2021 5:57 pm

You took the spark plug wire off for the blade sharpening?? LOL!! Dang. Six times it told you it wouldn’t run. Must have been doing a television show.

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself. :lol:

Glad you figured it out.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Jun. 05, 2021 5:21 am

I work at a place with a small engine shop, it's only happened a few times but over 30+ years he's had engines start running unexpectedly more than once. He told me the one story where he had taken the spark plug wire off and the customer was holding the lawnmower up looking at the shaft to see if it was bent. When he pulled the start cord it arced to the plug and started. :o That's probably why they all come with boots these days.

Better safe than sorry and it's very simple safety measure. Chances it will start when taking a blade off or putting it on are almost non existent but don't be that 1 in one million guy who chopped all his fingers off.

Always have to be wary. I do the hedge trimmer sharpening, we don't work on electric but will sharpen them. You need to move the blades for access to different surfaces, I plugged one in and the damn thing started running. Switch had broken and the owner bypassed the switch. Obviously your hands should not be on the blades while it's plugged in but it's situations like that where people lose fingers.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jun. 05, 2021 8:09 am

I don't know about all small mower engines but the Briggs always had a V notch in the shroud near the plug for you to clip the plug wire onto.

I had an interesting problem last week, last time I used the push mower it worked fine, I shut it off. Fast forward one week and it refused to start, kind of tried a couple times but just wouldn't run. It seemed to be getting gas and starter fluid didn't work so I figured spark. I found it a bit hard to believe the plug would go out just like that but replacing it was the easiest thing to do and worth a shot. I removed the no name Chinese plug I had put in a year or two ago and put a B&S replacement and wouldn't you know it started right up.

mehmetkal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-180 Hot Air

Post by mehmetkal » Wed. Sep. 08, 2021 7:43 pm

gaw wrote:
Sat. Jun. 05, 2021 8:09 am
I don't know about all small mower engines but the Briggs always had a V notch in the shroud near the plug for you to clip the plug wire onto.

I had an interesting problem last week, last time I used the push mower it worked fine, I shut it off. Fast forward one week and it refused to start, kind of tried a couple times but just wouldn't run. It seemed to be getting gas and starter fluid didn't work so I figured spark. I found it a bit hard to believe the plug would go out just like that but replacing it was the easiest thing to do and worth a shot. I removed the no name Chinese plug I had put in a year or two ago and put a B&S replacement and wouldn't you know it started right up.
Hello. I just joined you. I am experiencing a similar situation. It's interesting. When I found the topic from the search engine, I wanted to become a member and ask you. What is the latest status? I'm about to lose my lawnmower. Do you know how exactly to care for his belt?

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Thu. Sep. 09, 2021 7:45 am

At the risk of sounding like the MSM these days, and social media, I think we are missing some context here........explain that again?

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”