Household Tips, Tips and Hacks

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. May. 27, 2020 9:27 am

Hoytman wrote:
Wed. May. 27, 2020 12:10 am
Erie is quick to drop home owners as well...if the policy holder is the type to turn any little thing in. Major issues, Erie pays it and it’s over with and replaced. Great company!!!
Agreed - they were very good to me when a wind storm caused severe damage to our roof. A friend of mine told me to raise my deductible from $1000 to $2500 - his logic was that we should have that money banked in a few years from the lower premiums, and it was not worth filing a claim less than that anyway.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. May. 27, 2020 9:41 am

Erie’s idea of good business is taking care of their customers. If a person does not try to misuse or abuse the insurance system, then when an event happens causing damage, they do take care of their clients.

My wife is an independent agent with numerous companies. We use Erie because of their prices, coverage, and their reputation.

Two years ago a storm ripped through our village with lots of big hail damage. You wouldn’t believe the millions of dollars Erie alone covered in our village alone. Many homes got full replacement of even non-damaged siding, windows, roofs, and auto. It was amazing. I have nothing to do with the business and even I was amazed. You wouldn’t believe the calls from people using other companies complaining about things not being covered and switched giving my wife the business just based on word of mouth of others after the storm. Erie gained a lot of knee clients because they went above and beyond. Of course, that kind of service starts with a good claims adjuster...who anyone with any company should get to know. Our glckaims adjuster was really good to folks in our village through two different agents...one who used to live here, but lives a hundred miles away. People know this agent was raised here and kept their business with him when he moved away. The adjuster still took care of the clients.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. May. 27, 2020 12:33 pm

I think it's fun to clear a clogged drain with the shop vac. Works every time...

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Sat. May. 30, 2020 12:03 pm

mntbugy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S 1500, Warm Moring 400
Baseburners & Antiques: Art Garland 145,GW114 ,Clarion 115, Vestal 20 Globe,New Royal22 Globe, Red Cross Oak 56,Acme Ventiduct 38,Radiant Airblast 626,Home Airblast 62,Moores #7,Moores 3way
Coal Size/Type: stove and nut and some bit
Other Heating: Propain

Post by mntbugy » Thu. Jul. 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Time to give your sweet corn a dose of corn starch.

Sprinkle on loose ground and water in.
Or mix in a watering can.

Do again when tassels are starting to form.

Watch it grow. Might need an axe to cut stalks down in the fall.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jul. 04, 2020 1:27 pm

Never heard of that one. Hmmnnn...

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 11:10 am

The old farm houses had a closed in stairway to the second floor. My house, built in 1884 had the stairway closed, with a door at the bottom. When I was remodeling, I opened up the stairway.
But, after concentrating on heating (with coal), I felt that, I was probably losing a lot of heat to the upstairs, via the stairway. My attempt to prevent heat from escaping from the living floor ceiling, up the open stairway, was to install some "cordless cellular shades" on the stairway. While, they don't prevent all transfer of heat and cold, I do think, they help quite a bit. After, I've come down stairs for the day, I pull them down, as permitted. ?? "Food for thought"

Attachments

shade1.JPG
.JPG | 330.2KB | shade1.JPG
shade2.JPG
.JPG | 373.1KB | shade2.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 11:19 am

Dallas wrote:
Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 11:10 am
The old farm houses had a closed in stairway to the second floor. My house, built in 1884 had the stairway closed, with a door at the bottom. When I was remodeling, I opened up the stairway.
But, after concentrating on heating (with coal), I felt that, I was probably losing a lot of heat to the upstairs, via the stairway. My attempt to prevent heat from escaping from the living floor ceiling, up the open stairway, was to install some "cordless cellular shades" on the stairway. While, they don't prevent all transfer of heat and cold, I do think, they help quite a bit. After, I've come down stairs for the day, I pull them down, as permitted. ?? "Food for thought"
Have not seen much of you in the last few years. welcome back.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 11, 2020 11:32 am

What ever works D--interesting but, don't look all that bad either. :)

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 5:38 am

When it is your dime, your sweat, and your time, and you think you have a novel concept, just do it.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Nov. 29, 2022 6:30 am

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 4:28 pm

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”