High pressure vs low pressure propane burner?

Nilawee

Post by Nilawee » Tue. Jun. 25, 2019 6:34 am

I recently acquired a camp chef explorer dual burner cook top. It is a low pressure system and doesn't get hot enough to light charcoal or fry fish. I contacted the manufacturer, and they said I could convert it to a high/low combination by changing the burner, spring, valve, manifold, air vent and hose/regulator. This didn't make much sense to me. I hooked up a high pressure regulator to it and it produces a much hotter/larger flame than before with the low pressure equipment that it already has. So, my question is how can it be a high low combo if it has a high pressure regulator on it. Is it unsafe to run it as is with the high pressure regulator on it with a low pressure burner/valve on it? They quoted me £60 to change out one side of it, but I don't know how it is going to work like that. Thanks.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Jun. 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Your results sound unusal for a stove top with two 30,000 btu burners fired on low pressure propane. Are you sure nothing is plugged? I have a low pressure Camp Chef Ranger II ( 2 x 17,000 btu, ~11 inches on a manometer). It fries easily at less than full dial setting. Have you investigated that all the gas orifices and air sleeves are unobstructed?

PFrank
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fatsco Midget
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Propane wall heater

Post by PFrank » Thu. Jul. 04, 2019 10:55 am

Volume of the regulator is your target.

A standard regulator meters a pressure of, 11-13" of water.

"Portable", single stage regulators, put out +-20,000 btu's.
An,
"Integral Two Stage Regulator" is probable what you want. Higher volume of gas is put out at the standard 11" of water.

https://www.propane101.com/regulators.htm

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Wed. Feb. 26, 2020 7:12 am

Did you try resetting the regulator?

They have safety features now that if they sense a huge volume loss it cuts out. It will still simmer, but not get full flow. More and more appliances are coming with that feature now, but grills were the first to get it. I would reset the regulator and see if that helps your issue. I hate to state the obvious, but sometimes we chase big problems when we forget about the little stuff.

On my stoves too, I can adjust my flame size. Have you tried that? In the USA it is just a small allen wrench to reset the knob for higher flow.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”