Whole house H20 filters?

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:21 am

So i was looking to install a whole house filter here at my work and get rid of the timeless water cooler. Just looking to get rid of the "city" water taste, better coffee, etc. Does anyone have experience with a 3-stage cartridge filter system? In my short search i landed on the THD-PSE500, by Pelican. Any insights?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 10:25 am

If its just for drinking, consider a gravity filter. Lots of varieties around and some have chlorine filters available. You must be on city water so there shouldnt be too many other nasty's in it. It might be too simple of a solution....

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 6:46 am

Seems like overkill especially for $800.00. I'd get a regular water tilter and use a charcoal cartridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-CFB-PLUS10BB-Fibred ... ooghydr-20

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-Big-Blue-Housing-NP ... ooghydr-20

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 6:51 am

You need to test the water in order to select a proper way to filter it. Cartridges are pricey and may not do what you want. You can spend a lot of money and have no solution if you don't choose the system that is appropriate for your issues.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 7:40 am

Had an under kitchen sink filter system and took it out because the big cartages got expensive with the wife using it in cooking and rinsing pots/pans.

I now use the Brita counter top type cartages for just drinking, coffee, and ice cube water. Good for at least 40 gallons each cartage. They do an excellent job of filtering out "city water" taste, and our town's deep rock well hard water mineral tastes such as sulfur. Then I can keep a jug of filtered water cold in the fridge in summer.

I buy the bulk packs of ten cartages at the big box stores such as BJ's.

Paul

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 8:52 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 6:51 am
You need to test the water in order to select a proper way to filter it. Cartridges are pricey and may not do what you want. You can spend a lot of money and have no solution if you don't choose the system that is appropriate for your issues.
Hi all this is correct from coaledsweat, filters are part of why McDonalds sodas always taste so good, they are expensive but you also need to know what is in the water to get rid of it, the best thing you can do is get the water tested and filtered, you can decide if you only want to filter the kitchen sink or the whole house. The most expensive and best is a reverse osmosis filter system but it takes everything out of the water, in doing so if you don’t use enough of it you have a chance of that water going bad very quickly ! (I’m a Senior Tech for Coca-Cola)

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Mar. 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Qtown1835 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:21 am
So i was looking to install a whole house filter here at my work and get rid of the timeless water cooler. Just looking to get rid of the "city" water taste, better coffee, etc. Does anyone have experience with a 3-stage cartridge filter system? In my short search i landed on the THD-PSE500, by Pelican. Any insights?
All he wants to do is get rid of that "city water taste" which I interpreted to mean chlorine. It's city water so unless he's living in Flint Michigan, I don't think he needs to do a whole lot of testing. The filter housing and cartridge I suggested are about$50.00 total.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 9:07 am

The water is really good at my Grandmothers except the chlorine, installed just a single housing similar to the one Coalkirk posted and use carbon filter in it. It still has very minor chlorine taste but it's exceptionally strong where she lives. I'd imagine if you doubled up on the filter it would remove it entirely. You are supposed to put a cotton sediment filter before it but it always last long enough before I'm changing it anyway, proabaly change it every two or three months. The only time I had any issues was when they were working on pipe and the water was dirty, instantly clogged it. Of course it was just days after I installed new one. I just washed it off and it worked well for a while longer.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Mar. 14, 2019 10:49 am

Qtown1835 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:21 am
We put a filter on the feed for the coffee pot, ice maker, and drinking fountain. I think it is an Elkay filter, like this:

https://www.drinkingfountaindoctor.com/elkay-ewf1 ... sUQAvD_BwE

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”