Any TIG weldors here? Advice wanted

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Tue. Oct. 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Hey guys, looking for advice on a purchase. I haven't tig welded in about oh....35 years or so but I'm interested in starting again. Don't have a million to spend but trying to think ahead for the day I may not have to go to work and need something to do and maybe make a couple bucks here and there.

There are a few tig machines around within a 3 hour drive. The one that really has my eye is a Lincoln Tig 300/300 redface. Needs torch but has pedal for $1300. Last night I talked to a guy whose dad passed away recently, looks like a Miller Dialarc 250 with bottles, regs, filler, torch, peddle, whole deal...$1000.00
There is another in CT, Miller Dialarc 310, water cooler, torch, peddle, cart, $1300~

All these are in my range and under power so I can see them work. The Lincoln has pulse, something I may or may not ever need but people that have it love it.

I have no set ideas on what I may use this for but hate to start small only to rebuy later to take care of business. Steel...yup,,Alum....maybe.

The one thing I keep seeing about the older stuff is it's a little more finicky but a lot less costly than newer boards that get smoked.

Any takers on this subject? Thanks!

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Wed. Nov. 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Well there wasn't really a forum for welding and it's kind of a hobby so....there ya go. :lol:

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Thu. Nov. 21, 2019 8:04 am

9 years ago i bought a versatile tig machine for welding around the house. here are the two i researched Lkincoln and hobart I bought the lincoln My son has a hobart mig and it looks pretty good and he works it hard and its holding up It pays to buy the accessories in a ready pak mode like the cart. The lincoln has no issues after 9 years though it is not worked hard.

https://www.airgas.com/product/Welding-Products/W ... LINK2535-2

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_2 ... 0bEALw_wcB

cabinover

Post by cabinover » Thu. Nov. 21, 2019 4:58 pm

That is a nice machine but way beyond my means, at least so far as it's more a toy than something I need. I ended up buying a used Miller Syncrowave 350. Haven't used it all that much and it hasn't earned it's keep by any means but for $1K I'm happy with it's ability.

Now to find the time to really sit and learn it's capabilities...or rather my incapabilities... :lol:

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Nov. 22, 2019 8:08 am

Now to find the time to really sit and learn it's capabilities...or rather my incapabilities... :lol:
[/quote]

isn't that the truth....like trying to weld aluminum with high freq start , pulse , ac and balled tungsten. maybe ill try again
cover your neck to prevent radiation burns too.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 11:06 pm

I have TIG welded quite a bit of SS pipe and sheet steel, TIG is my favorite welding process little to no smoke sparks nastiness....... I have run a then new Lincoln transformer TIG welder 225A?, miller dialarc which was awful the hi frequency was not working at all, a miller protig it is nice. However I have made the most welds with a Everlast 200A welder it was some of the first Chinese inverter welders 10 years ago. It would keep up just fine with the Lincoln the cooling fan was a bit loud but it was 1/6 the price new.

Get a water cooled torch the air cooled torches overheat quick.

Get a welder that has a foot pedal and high frequency start.

I would not have a dialarc if one was given to me.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 11:35 pm

A little late to this party but hey.....cabinover, the Syncowave 350 is a really good machine, we have one at work that I use quite often. I mostly do aluminum with it and always does a good job. Personally I have a Miller Dynasty 350 at home which is the Cadillac of tig welders! Love all the bells and whistles but when it comes right down to it, I mainly just weld normally with it. Tig is definitely my favorite process!

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Mon. Dec. 02, 2019 11:08 pm

My apologies its not a miller protig Its a miller dynasty I'm not sure were the protig came from. Seriously stay the eff away from a miller dialarc. My experience with one was scratch start everything.

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Tue. Dec. 03, 2019 3:12 am

franpipeman wrote:
Fri. Nov. 22, 2019 8:08 am

isn't that the truth....like trying to weld aluminum with high freq start , pulse , ac and balled tungsten. maybe ill try again
cover your neck to prevent radiation burns too.
Haha, when I first hired into Ford I was messing around with the tig welder and was wearing coveralls.......on my way to the shower in the locker room after work I walked by a mirror and took a quick look and a had giant red V on my chest......wasn't wearing a shirt underneath and my first 3 buttons were undone when I was welding..... lesson learned!

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Thu. Dec. 05, 2019 3:09 pm

I bought an AHP 200 amp ac/dc tig welder a few years ago. It’s not a miller or Lincoln but it’s pretty close and for the price it just can’t be beat.

About a year later I got an urge to get something a little more portable. I took a chance on one of those Ansen 185 dc tig/stick welders. It’s smaller then a toaster oven weighs about 15lbs and is a hell of a welder. I got it on sale for $175. I use it more then anything now. It’s just too damn handy. I just built a 6x10’ trailer for my sister with it. Did a fine job. So far it’s held up to anything I’ve asked from it. Now I can leave my AHP in my basement shop permanently. Not lugging it up and down the stairs.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”