Reversible Right Angle Die Grinder

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 10:16 am

I need a reversible right angle die grinder. Unless I'm missing something the cheap ones from Harbor Freight are not reversible? Is it possible to permanently reverse it? Even if it was permanently reversed that would work as I could just have two cheap ones for each direction.

Any other suggestions?

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 10:33 am

Have you looked for one as an air tool..

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 10:35 am

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 10:37 am

Air tools is one of those things that you get what you pay for. In my business I've burned through a few of the cheap HF air tools. My good quality Chicago Pneumatic ones are still working like new over 35 years later.

Because of how the air is channeled to the vanes of the rotor, I doubt you could easily make a non-reversible one run in reverse.

And, being reversible adds complexity and therefore cost so expect to pay more. Or, can you figure a way to work around needing it to be reversible ?

Paul

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 10:45 am

I removed the link in my first post as that is apparently not reversible, I'm having trouble finding anything. I'm only finding straight shaft ones that are reversible. If it cost more that is fine as long as it's not a ridiculous price. I don't need one that is reversible on demand necessarily, if it runs opposite direction permanently that is fine too.

I'm working on the weekends at my buddies hardware store and I'm using it for sharpening things. Works fantastic on hedge trimmers but I need the disc running off the edge of the blade. It's slow and tedious for the ones where it's working against the edge and I end up ruining too many discs.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 11:18 am

There is a good reason for not providing hand held reversing flat disc grinders and other rotational tools w/o a chuck or similar grippng method. Many or most right angle disc grinders depend on a threaded (directional) nut for fixing a high speed disc tight.
Reversing the 'disc' direction along w/ some inertia permits theads (directional) to allow for disengagement and disc may become loose. This is a undesirable event and hence not found for public sale.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 12:23 pm

I have a bunch of tools and stones for sharpening lawn mower blades, hedge clippers, knives, chisels, scrapers, knives, drill and cutting bits, etc.

But the ones I use the most for non-hardened cutting edges are, a one inch belt bench sander for really worn large edges - such as lawn mower blades - and a mill file to dress up slightly worn edges.

For reversible right angle work in close areas, such as compounding/polishing, drilling and grinding, I use a Makita 3/8 right angle drill and just chuck-up the same grinder/sanding/polishing tools. More power at the tool, more versatile, uses less electric than an air compressor, doesn't spray vaporized oil out the air exhaust like air tools do, far quieter than any air tool, and the cord is much more flexible than an air hose. And yes I have die grinders, but I rarely use them - preferring the Makita rt-angle drill instead.

If you have to sharpen in a tight spot, try using a mill file. It will get in areas no grinder can and when you need sharp, flat edges, like hedge trimmers, it gives very precise control of the edge. And because the teeth are skewed it works just as well being drawn onto or off the cutting edge.

A mill file is all I use to sharpen my upholstery shop scissors and put a quick edge of the lawn mower blade. And no grinder dust to make a mess. :yes:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 5:32 pm

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 11:18 am
There is a good reason for not providing hand held reversing flat disc grinders and other rotational tools w/o a chuck or similar grippng method. Many or most right angle disc grinders depend on a threaded (directional) nut for fixing a high speed disc tight.
Reversing the 'disc' direction along w/ some inertia permits theads (directional) to allow for disengagement and disc may become loose. This is a undesirable event and hence not found for public sale.
I thought about that for the backing pad but it never occurred to me for the tool itself. In any event surely I'm not the only one in the world that needs something like this.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 12:23 pm
I have a bunch of tools and stones for sharpening lawn mower blades, hedge clippers, knives, chisels, scrapers, knives, drill and cutting bits, etc.
He has special tools for a lot of things like scissor and lawnmower blades. The scissors has a sliding clamp and a really soft wheel and works great for them. The lawnmower blade tool not so much, takes too long especially on some of these blades where they are severely rounded over. You'd literally have to take off a 1/4 of steel to get it sharp with the machine. He uses a right angle grinder and since he's been doing it all these years he can have them looking pretty good. I've been doing them and then a few quick passes with the die grinder that makes them look outstanding. It's just window dressing but that is what customers want to see.

For a lot of the smaller stuff the die grinder works perfect. It looks fantastic and it's quick. Some of those hedge trimmers might have 160 surfaces to sharpen. I'm not even sure if there is a machine that could be used to do it.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Because of the expense, I don't know of any sharpening place that does electric hedge trimmers. Most people just go out and buy a new one after using it for many years, if it gets too dull.

Paul

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 6:09 pm
Because of the expense, I don't know of any sharpening place that does electric hedge trimmers.
He was using Dremel tool and I suggested the die grinder which is working fantastic as long as it's running off the edge. It takes about twenty minutes to do larger ones but these are mostly gas powered trimmers and certainly not disposable junk. He's a Stihl dealer. I could easily cut it to ten with reversed grinder.

What is happening is there isn't lot of space between each blade, the backside of the backer is catching the blade on opposite side and it twists into the blade I'm sharpening and <poof> ruined disc. The other issue is I can't get a nice clean swipe, on tools like hedge clippers. Purely cosmetic but when people are paying for a service lokking really good is important.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Well if a die grinder is what works best for those, TP Toll has one. At $79.00 I don't think they come much cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Tools-ProLine-Reversibl ... ie+grinder

For hedge clippers, go out to the shelves and get an 8-10 inch mill file. Clamp the blade in a vice. Lay the file flat on the blade's cutting edge surface and with a hand on each end pull/push the file across and along the surface of the blade, keeping the file at the same angle.

Here's a video of how to move the file angled slightly across and along the cutting edge. To reverse direction turn the file end for end in your hands and reverse the direction of movement.

And if you want a really finer, smoother finish to the cutting edge try draw filing.

With a little practice you will be amazed at how fast, smooth, and straight it works.

This will tell you a lot about uses of, and how to use files.
http://www.nicholsontool.com/MagentoShare/media/d ... g-2014.pdf

Paul

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 8:18 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 7:20 pm
Well if a die grinder is what works best for those, TP Toll has one. At $79.00 I don't think they come much cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Tools-ProLine-Reversibl ... ie+grinder
I need a right angle one.

For hedge clippers, go out to the shelves and get an 8-10 inch mill file.

Take too long.... There is 160 edges on the larger Stihl trimmers. I can sharpen the half of them where the disc is going off the edge in about 5 minutes. ;)

Thanks for the tips Paul but this isn't my first rodeo working with metal.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 8:51 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 8:18 pm
I need a right angle one.

Just a matter of how you hold it. :D

Take too long.... There is 160 edges on the larger Stihl trimmers.

I notice the Sthil manuals recommend using a file if there is no factory certified sharpener service. The time it takes to do each tooth with a grinder is the about the same as with a mill file. And the file gives more control and consistent angles. Try it, you might be surprised how fast it sharpens.

Thanks for the tips Paul but this isn't my first rodeo working with metal. ;)
But have you tied using a mill file for any sharpening ? :D

Paul

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jun. 25, 2018 9:45 pm

There might be ten of these trimmers sitting there on Saturday morning and sharpening say 1,600 surfaces with a hand file just isn't happening. The die grinder is very fast, easy on the arms and does a great job. It works reasonably well even on the angles where I'm working against the cutting edge. A reversed grinder would be an even better improvement.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”