Squirrels

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. May. 12, 2018 5:08 am

Our other building is a 100 year oil building with open cupolas on the roof into the attic. Good for cheap A/C but now we have discovered a huge squirrel infestation, I realize the dangers to wiring and structures so I really want to to get rid of these pests. Any words of wisdom on how? I intend to chicken wire the opening to keep the suckers out but I need to get " vacant possession" first.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 12, 2018 6:07 am

If you have pets you don't want to use poison or spring traps. The smaller Have-A-Heart traps work if you can set it up where the squirrels will get to it. baited with peanuts tied to the trigger works well. But then you have to do something with them,....like drop them off at the home of whoever you don't like. :D

Just don't get caught in NYS taking them out of season (September 1st until end of February).

Most country folk use the three "S" method for farm pests and varmints - Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup. :D

I do pest/varmint control for some friends with farms.

A 22 LR will blow holes through the squirrel and roof. Even if you use 22 shorts, which aren't easy to find anymore.

Rat shot through a 22 rifle won't hurt the building, but it has very limited range on squirrels. Like almost stick-the-barrel -in-their-ear, kinda close.

For around my friend's livestock, I use one of these. https://www.crosman.com/trail-np-xl-1100-22

Quiet enough it doesn't spook your critters, yet deadly on squirrels and woodchucks out to at least 50 yards. The 17cal version is too fast to maintain accuracy, and it lacks the power down range.

But, with critters, or feed in that building, you may not want lead sprayed around, so use a pump-up BB gun with steel BBs. The spring type BB guns are not as powerful and just make the squirrels mad,... unless you get a lucky shot head shot.

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 12, 2018 6:46 am

410 ga.--piss on them thar live traps--even in NYS ya can get a nuisance permit if your silly enough to go that route. No other way Simon--hire a kid that can shoot straight! :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 12, 2018 7:18 am

Garbage can or plastic drum with a hole drilled through each side, about 6" from the top. Get a few cans and coat them with peanut butter, add some bird seed if you want, and pass the rod through the drum and cans so they are suspended over the drum. Move the drum into position and put 20" of water in it. The squirrels will try to get the peanut butter and fall into the drum and drown.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 12, 2018 7:24 am

Damn, you guys are tough up Chazy way!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 12, 2018 7:53 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. May. 12, 2018 6:46 am
410 ga.--piss on them thar live traps--even in NYS ya can get a nuisance permit if your silly enough to go that route. No other way Simon--hire a kid that can shoot straight! :)
If they were referring to what you have to go through,.... they sure named it right. I looked into getting a NYS nuisance permit and Albany sure does make it complicated !!!!! Likely why the "three S" method became so popular. ;)

Paul

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 12, 2018 7:55 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. May. 12, 2018 7:24 am
Damn, you guys are tough up Chazy way!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Don't forget it.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 12, 2018 8:19 am

That's just a bigger version of your bucket mouse trap isn't it??? :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. May. 12, 2018 8:23 am

Yes. The bucket trap was the only thing that caught the last mouse in my attic. I had one that was a magician, no snap trap would get him.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. May. 12, 2018 8:30 am

Paul, we just go into Cortland DEC & 5 minutes, you're good. But yes--what happens in Freetown, stays in Freetown!! LOL I've gotten them for beaver & coyotes on other peoples property--I just off them on my own property.
Sunny Boy wrote:
Sat. May. 12, 2018 7:53 am
If they were referring to what you have to go through,.... they sure named it right. I looked into getting a NYS nuisance permit and Albany sure does make it complicated !!!!! Likely why the "three S" method became so popular. ;)

Paul

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. May. 12, 2018 9:41 pm

Who needs 50 yards inside a building??? I use the Rem 700 break barrel pellet gun. I wish I had a .22 caliber but it is deadly out to about 30 yards. Shot 128 in 10 months back at my old house. Havn't needed to thin them out here at the new one.

Kevin

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 12, 2018 10:08 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. May. 12, 2018 8:30 am
Paul, we just go into Cortland DEC & 5 minutes, you're good. But yes--what happens in Freetown, stays in Freetown!! LOL I've gotten them for beaver & coyotes on other peoples property--I just off them on my own property.
Yes, it's easy for land owners to get a depredation permit. I'd like to get one for the deer that are eating up my back yard bushes, but the village frowns on discharging firearms,..... and I'm too old to wrestle with deer. :D

I wanted to get the license to do critter control on other people's land. But that turns out to be an expensive hassle. $200.00 to take the course. Then apply for the license. Then I have to keep a detailed log book and report every critter encounter to the DEC. Then renew the license yearly.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/28635.html

Decided to just stick with my old method of being invited by the land owner.

One less woodchuck mound. ;)

Attachments

DSCN0383.JPG
.JPG | 582.4KB | DSCN0383.JPG

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. May. 12, 2018 10:15 pm

KLook wrote:
Sat. May. 12, 2018 9:41 pm
Who needs 50 yards inside a building??? I use the Rem 700 break barrel pellet gun. I wish I had a .22 caliber but it is deadly out to about 30 yards. Shot 128 in 10 months back at my old house. Havn't needed to thin them out here at the new one.

Kevin

If they are up on the roof of a barn (cupola ventilator), by the time you back away enough that the slope of roof doesn't block the shot, your darned close to a 50 yard shot. ;)

And Simon has some rather large buildings, which explains all the coal stoves. :D

Paul

cosmacart

Post by cosmacart » Wed. Jun. 13, 2018 10:56 pm

could someone give me an idea on the best way to poison these dam squirrels!!?? I tryed a 22 short,then22 cb s,,killed 15 before i hit the house next door,, so i tryed flybait soaked in cracked corn,they ate it all, but didn t kill any i am kinda in town so gun s a no go> Thanks

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Jun. 14, 2018 12:56 am

cosmacart wrote:
Wed. Jun. 13, 2018 10:56 pm
could someone give me an idea on the best way to poison these dam squirrels!!?? I tryed a 22 short,then22 cb s,,killed 15 before i hit the house next door,, so i tryed flybait soaked in cracked corn,they ate it all, but didn t kill any i am kinda in town so gun s a no go> Thanks
If you use poison you could poison the wrong critters.

Small size Have-A-heart trap at Tractor Supply. Use peanuts or sunflower seeds for bait. Take them for a nice long drive to the nearest forest, or property of someone you hate. :D

Paul

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”