Front Loading Washers

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 12:04 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Fri. Jan. 19, 2018 9:48 am

The Village gave me $150.00 credit on my Village utility bills for buying a high efficiency cloths washing machine. It would save electric and hot water, except it doesn't clean clothes on the HE settings and the HE detergent is expensive. I have to use the "bulk" setting which is just as much water as my old washer. But at least I can use the less expensive regular laundry detergent.
At least with coal I'm saving much more than with any other fuel I have used.
Paul
I didnt notice any difference in the cost of HE detergent. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of it for $15 when i got my first one in 2001 and i still have some of it,but iv have both a front loader and a top loader HE machine and i can tell you the front loader can get clothes cleaner with no detergent than the top loader can WITH detergent. I wont replace that top loader with another one.
I do agree the coal boiler saved me more money than any other thing i did since installing it in 2002. I stopped counting the savings at $20k.
Cant think of any other heat source where i would keep my thermostat close to 80 with the exception of a wood stove.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:43 am

TRY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Teepol-610-S-for-surface ... .l4275.c10

No foaming agents just clean. Just a few drops in the wash and this bottle may last another 15 years. Increase if necessary. A dirty horse farmer needs more than an executive on the coal board. Dilute for dish washing liquid, shampoo, car wash. The whole world is similar anionic surfactants and we all spend a ton of money on that stuff. I had a gallon of Shell Teepol for thirty years still going strong until I backed a tractor over it. :cry: Mind you people always walked on the other side of the street but i assumed that was my personality.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:56 am

k-2 wrote:
Sat. Jan. 20, 2018 12:04 pm
I didnt notice any difference in the cost of HE detergent. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of it for $15 when i got my first one in 2001 and i still have some of it,but iv have both a front loader and a top loader HE machine and i can tell you the front loader can get clothes cleaner with no detergent than the top loader can WITH detergent. I wont replace that top loader with another one.
I do agree the coal boiler saved me more money than any other thing i did since installing it in 2002. I stopped counting the savings at $20k.
Cant think of any other heat source where i would keep my thermostat close to 80 with the exception of a wood stove.
5 gallons of HE has lasted you 17 years ???? :o

With my laundry schedule that 5 gallons would be gone in about half a year.

As for HE price, it sounds like you haven't checked in awhile. Go look on the shelves in any Wal Mart, super market, or other stores that sell laundry detergent and compare HE price to non-HE price. Then compare the per-load price of each.

And I didn't see any reduction in my monthly kilowatts after I got the HE machine and compared it to the 20 year old washer I had. If it got the clothes clean on the HE cycle, yeah, then it would run less time, so there might have been a savings of electricity if it actually worked the way it was supposed to. Instead it's like the low flush toilets that actually use more water because they often need to be flushed twice to clear the bowl.

Paul
Last edited by Sunny Boy on Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:00 am

Most people use way more soap than they need. Especially with front loaders.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:09 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:00 am
Most people use way more soap than they need. Especially with front loaders.
I'm not one of them. I'm cheap - I don't use as much as the soap manufactures say to use. I only use just enough to get the clothes clean.

The problem with the HE machine on the HE cycle is that it doesn't use enough water to properly clean the clothes well. Half the load is out of the water and with so little an amount of water it can't move the cloths around well, so only the bottom half of the load gets the dirt washed out.

Plus, the HE machine is more expensive and complex than a non-HE machine. If it wasn't for the $150.00 credit from the Village I never would have bought it.

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:20 am

You don't need a lot of water in a front loader. The clothes should tumble and hit the drum AT THE WATERLINE! Like grandma did on the rocks.

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:33 am

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:20 am
You don't need a lot of water in a front loader. The clothes should tumble and hit the drum AT THE WATERLINE! Like grandma did on the rocks.
Yeah, if I had a front loader,... But then, I might also have a buckled hardwood floor like my ex got when her new front loader "unloaded" water and detergent all over the floor. :roll:

Plus my back is bad enough leaning down getting things out of the back of the front loading dryer. I don't need to be hauling wet, heavy laundry out of the back of a front loader, nor do I want to spend even more for one of the taller front loading machines. Where's the savings then ?

Paul

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 12:29 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:20 am
Right CS Front loaders are a whole different animal. I think the tumbling action does most of the work and you dont need a lot of water which is why you dont need a lot of detergent. I agree with sunnyboy in one aspect. Top loader HE machines are not ready for prime time.
My Front loader outcleans our HE top loader every time ,and our front loader is 15 years old. One of the first ones on the market.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 9:56 am
5 gallons of HE has lasted you 17 years ???? :o
With my laundry schedule that 5 gallons would be gone in about half a year.
Paul
i only use the 5 gallon powder for my work clothes. And i use only the recommended amount. My wife goes through liquid detergent like crazy for the rest of the laundry in the top loader. She also use a full cup when just washing a few things. Iv given up trying to explain that MORE detergent does not always result in cleaner clothes. And causes you to run multiple rinse cycles But the detergent is CHEAPER than a divorce so i just let it go.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 12:37 pm

tsb wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 12:31 pm
A little topic drift ?
Its all about going "green"

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 7:48 pm

The piece that many people are missing when it comes to getting clean laundry with minimal soap is soft water.

I use 1/4 of the recommended amount of soap in the dishwasher and washing machine, with excellent results.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 7:48 pm
The piece that many people are missing when it comes to getting clean laundry with minimal soap is soft water.

I use 1/4 of the recommended amount of soap in the dishwasher and washing machine, with excellent results.
Having hard water I have to agree. I have few real modern appliances but its easy to see.

Its all a give and take. Pay for the water softener and salt or pay for the consequences of not having it.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:32 pm

There are 4 components to good washwheel performance. Time, temperature, chemical and mechanical action. You can get away with less of one if you add more of another. A toploader does not provide any mechanical action, it just sloshes the clothes around.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:51 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 10:32 pm
There are 4 components to good washwheel performance. Time, temperature, chemical and mechanical action. You can get away with less of one if you add more of another. A toploader does not provide any mechanical action, it just sloshes the clothes around.
THere is no more agitator ,it just vibrates. Makes all kind of grinding noises. The clothes on top, stay on top, up out of the water and detergent. Im waiting for mine to crap out so i can replace it with a front loader. All my white t-shirts are off -white now .

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 21, 2018 11:03 pm

You can't get clothes clean without mechnical action.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”