Front Loading Washers

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 6:11 pm

I have both a HE top loader and a HE front loader. Problem with the top loader is it dont get the clothes near as clean. All that grinding and vibrating the top loader does is no match for tumbling in a front loader. Some of the clothes on top are not even covered by the water in the top loader.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 6:24 pm

k-2 wrote:
Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 6:11 pm
I have both a HE top loader and a HE front loader. Problem with the top loader is it dont get the clothes near as clean. All that grinding and vibrating the top loader does is no match for tumbling in a front loader. Some of the clothes on top are not even covered by the water in the top loader.

My HE top loader has a "bulk" setting that measures the load and only adds enough water to just cover the clothes - no matter what size the load is. I have no idea how it figures that out, but works every time.

Paul

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 6:51 pm

We have a Whirlpool set. Bought new 20 years ago. They work fine. Our first washing machine was a Frigidaire model WD 65. It had the pulsamatic agitator that moved up and down. That thing beat the living hell out of stuff. Always cleaned clothes very well....

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Oct. 30, 2018 7:17 pm

The wife had to have a front Whirlpool front loader when they came out. The first one went about seven years before self-destructing. The spider broke and the drum wobbled and destroyed the tub, it vibrated and shook but the wife just kept using it until it got so bad I had to investigate what was going on. We bought a new one made by Whirlpool. They redesigned the tub somewhat and this new one has more bells and whistles. The wife had to have it and loves it even though all she does is shove clothes into it until she has to shut the door by pushing against it with her foot and then selects “Normal Wash”.

Not being satisfied with some of the laundry results I had to investigate things on my own and now when I am home I do the whites on the “Whites” setting and add bleach, I do towels on a “Towels” setting and do printed tee shirts in cold water. It does a good job now and even has more settings available, unsatisfactory results are due to operator error.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 2:38 pm

It dont pay to use too much ,then you have to do extra rinses to get all the soap out.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 2:54 pm

You don't get the soap out. You get some, maybe most if you use too much but it's always there.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 3:17 pm

I only use half the detergent they recommend, I always use the soak cycle to give it time to work. I don't know how much soap is left but it can;t be much. The front loader I have lets you select up to 5 rinse cycles. Normal is 2 or 3 cycles but I use 4 for bulky items like bed spreads.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 3:29 pm

I ran an industrial laundry for 16 years. When I created a reuse system to reclaim a significant quantity of water I called the soap supplier for some guidance. They asked me what I using and how I described the process. The first 3-4 fills were all reuse and the final 2 rinses were fresh water. I was on speaker phone at the soap lab because I could here several different chemists chatting about it. Then one asked me why I was doing the final 2 rinses with fresh water and I said "to get the soap out." That was met with hysterical laughter and the explanation was "you can't get the soap out." Soap is a double ended molecule that latches onto something and doesn't let go.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 6:52 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 3:29 pm
Soap is a double ended molecule that latches onto something and doesn't let go.
I believe its supposed to latch onto the dirt. And get carried away with the rinse water.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 6:56 pm

Yes, it latches onto dirt, clothes, whatever it comes in contact with. The point is, it doesn't rinse off the clothes, it's stuck to it just like the dirt.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Apr. 06, 2021 6:56 pm

Laundry is a huge water polluter. A lot of micro plastics dumped into the streams with every load. The ocean will be one big plastic soup soon it its not already. Im sure the local treatment plant doesnt remove any of it along with all the pharmaceuticals we excrete.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”