Construction issues...from stove?

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:19 pm

I renovated my stove room August 2016. Completely gutted down to the studs. New everything! Plumbing, electrical, windows, insulation, etc. I'm no contractor but it came out beautiful. Problems started showing shortly after firing up my stove. Some of the drywall seems were cracking and my new wood frame Anderson sliding patio door warped slightly causing the seal to get tweaked. I repaired the cracks spring of 2017 and all seemed good. This season the cracks are back...with more friends! I believe the drywall and spackle is drying out from the stove...possibly too fast? Will these cracked seams ever stop? I renovated my bathroom (opposite side of the house from the stove) the year before. This room is still in perfect condition, aside from the kids messing it up! I'm on the fence about doing away with the stove for the simple fact that the repair work is driving me mad. I'm a perfectionist! I plan on eventually renovating the room directly off the stove room. Will I have the same issues with the seams cracking? The seam on the ceiling between the stove room and kitchen area split wide open. The day I noticed it my wife looked at me and said "don't you dare think about fixing it". I agree...it's a messy job and she's not to fond of spackle dust everywhere. Oh...what to do???

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:31 pm

My guess is the stove is not the issue but rather the install of GWB and the slider. Expansion and contraction is normal. Cracks in wall compound joints can be caused by large joints, excessive layers of compound in the joints, wrong type of compund for tape/finish and also wall vibration from high stress areas, slamming doors, windows, etc. Not enough fasteners per board. If you did not have issues before the only likely issue was the installation.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Thanks Q. Three doors located in that room. There is vibration, especially with one of them being a heavy steel garage door that my kids like to slam. I did get a crack in the same area before the renovation as I am now. When I renovated the room I noticed a good amount of studs did not line up with each other, they were a bit off. Like I said, I'm not a contractor so any advice is greatly appreciated.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:47 pm

did you use fiberglass mesh tape?
i hate that stuff!
mom had repairs done here, every seam the guy used thefiberglass tape, it cracked everywhere.
i did a room with paper tape in the 80's and it still looks decent.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:50 pm

I used both. I don't have much luck with paper tape. Most likely operator error though.

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:52 pm

The reason I'm thinking it's the stove is the other room that I renovated the year before is still flawless. It's on the opposite end of the house from the stove. I was thinking the extreme heat from the stove is the issue.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Humidity or lack thereof is a big factor. Especially with fresh drywall. Everything but the drywall wants to shrink.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:55 pm

i could see the issue if your walls were wet and dryrotted, but you said everything is new.....the wood must have shrunk....this "whitewood" they sell is garbage wood. i had some crack here. my new basement step 2x10's.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 4:03 pm

tcalo wrote:
Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:43 pm
When I renovated the room I noticed a good amount of studs did not line up with each other, they were a bit off.
Did you correct the wall plane before drywalling? Bows or inconsistencies in the wall will create "tension" on areas of the wall board which will exacerbate cracking and vibration. I'm assuming you did not glue the wallbaord before screwing/nailing?

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 4:14 pm

Glue...to the studs? No I did not. I did not touch the original studs. That was a bit out of my realm considering two of the walls were outside walls and structural. I didn't have the money for that. I did the best with what I had.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 4:58 pm

tcalo wrote:
Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 3:19 pm
I'm on the fence about doing away with the stove for the simple fact that the repair work is driving me mad.
Huh? 😳

Are you nuts? 🤯

Calm down!

Stop being so OCD😜

tcalo

Post by tcalo » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Haha...love you Scott. I'll get some pics out when I get home from work. Besides, the wife won't let me turn it off!

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 5:20 pm

She’s a keeper!

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 5:50 pm

my basement stairs and railings shrunk.....it's hanging off the floor right now. i got to shim under the steps lol

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jan. 07, 2018 6:36 pm

Stove drives off moisture...
Then it gets to suck up some moisture in the summer...
Drys out again when stove starts up...
This can/will cause the wood to twist...
even that Anderson frame...
Get a humidifier running in that room...

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”