Leaf Blowers

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Yes, they blow great, but as was mentioned , they are a workout. I know several people who have given up because of difficulty of pushing up even a mild slope. Half the effort goes to pushing it into the ground with that stupid handle position.

Look at the last picture with the zero turn. It pushes straight ahead from the axle position with half the effort.

People use them because that's all there is until a better design comes along. Two front wheels is an improvement. The only lawn mowers for years were reel mowers until the more versatile and cheaper design of the rotary came along.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 4:55 pm

franco b wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 4:33 pm
Yes, they blow great, but as was mentioned , they are a workout. I know several people who have given up because of difficulty of pushing up even a mild slope. Half the effort goes to pushing it into the ground with that stupid handle position.

Look at the last picture with the zero turn. It pushes straight ahead from the axle position with half the effort.

People use them because that's all there is until a better design comes along. Two front wheels is an improvement. The only lawn mowers for years were reel mowers until the more versatile and cheaper design of the rotary came along.
I know LOTS of folks who gave up on push mowers because they got tired of pushing them with the stupid handle in the air instead of being able to push from down low like the self-propelled mowers do :P
The self-propelled mowers are much easier to mow with,even for the very old folks who can still walk at a reasonable pace.
The PUSH chipper/shredder/vac units even on 4 wheels are hard to push uphill,especially as the bag fills.
The self-propelled chipper/shredder/vac units are easier to follow uphill ,but they do tend to be cumbersome to handle without steering built into the front wheels.

It does seem as tho the blowers could benefit by having self-propelled models for the folks who want or need it.
Is there enough of a demand for a self-propelled unit to make it worthwhile producing the option ?

Time for a retiree to come up with a plan & submit it to a company for production.

Maybe even make your own vertical shaft blower on a lawn tractor & when it is perfected, submit those plans to a company .

Surely there would be riches to be gained with introducing a vertical shaft blower for the zero turn market,then the commercial guys could ride & blow leaves.... + do it at breakneck speed. :what: :)

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 7:54 pm

I use a HUSQVARNA R 322T AWD with a mulching deck. It makes short work of grass and leaves in the same pass. I upgraded to this model from the older 155 model and kept this as a spare.
Snuffy

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:04 pm

snuffy wrote:
Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 7:54 pm
I use a HUSQVARNA R 322T AWD with a mulching deck. It makes short work of grass and leaves in the same pass. I upgraded to this model from the older 155 model and kept this as a spare.
Snuffy
I really like the idea of AWD for self-propelled mowers,makes mowing slopes & hills much easier.

BUT...
I sure wish Husqvarna would have built quality into the unit.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”