EPA killed the gas container

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 2:37 pm

I hope this is the right section to post this in. I'm sure this is old news to most. I have several gas containers that I use for my lawn equipment. One of those containers is the old style with just a cap, nothing fancy. The others are the newer style container with the God awful child safety spouts! Struggling for a while with them I started looking for replacement caps. It seems nobody sells them. It reminded me of when I remodeled my bathroom several years ago. I wanted a shower setup with separate hot and cold valves, but could only find the knob with the built in scald proof valve which contains both the hot and cold valve in one. After researching the shower valves I found that the old style separate hot and cold valves were discontinued and replaced with the scald proof valves because people are too dumb to figure out that if the water is to hot then just turn down the hot or turn up the cold! So, back to the gas containers. I started thinking that the same thing probably happened with these. Sure enough, after a few minutes of research I found that back in 2012 there was a law passed requiring all portable gas containers to be equipped with the new child proof safety spout. Where did it stem from, you guessed it...CALIFORNIA!!! Some moron let their kid play with a container of gasoline and started a fire. God, people (some) are dumb!!! I actually spill more gasoline using the new spout than with just a funnel. Not to mention the spout on one of my containers broke shortly after buying the container! Thanks big brother, what would I do without you? What happened to simplicity? Luckily I found replacement caps on Amazon. I did manage to rig the caps up for now. I used some gasket material from my job and installed it in place of the spout.

Attachments

IMG_2829.JPG
.JPG | 130.5KB | IMG_2829.JPG
IMG_2830.JPG
.JPG | 116.2KB | IMG_2830.JPG

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 3:22 pm

There is a lot of gas spilled from these new ones. They truly are junk. I pick up old cans at sales after that experience.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 4:21 pm

I don't understand how they consider those abortions as safe. Clumbsy and dangerous would be more appropriate.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 5:24 pm

I thought it was just me! I got a bunch of leaking gas cans and thought I just got unlucky and got a bad container or worse yet just operator error. I spill lots of gas, the environmental damage doesn't bother me but the gas is too expensive to pour away.

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 9:15 pm

https://www.amazon.com/NATO-Style-Metal-Jerry-Can/dp/B00ADLHN3S

I've got a couple of these for when I sump jet fuel and I have one of these new "safety" one gallon jugs for my Stihl saw and it works quit well actually :what:

I have had some newer cans that do suck so I get it :lol:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 9:46 pm

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Aug. 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Just a thought: http://ezpourspout.com/

Available at TSC and Rural King. Not for use on gas cans manufactured in 2009 and later. ;)

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Mon. Aug. 14, 2017 6:09 am

I picked one of these up for my weed eater. Works very well with no dripping after you let go of the button. Will see how it does 10 years from now.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/no-spill-1.25-gal.-gas-can/ ... crEALw_wcB

Have several of the other useless ones. A good tearing apart and removing the spring and guts helps them out. :lol:

NoSmoke
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: New Yoker WC90
Baseburners & Antiques: Woods and Bishop Antique Pot Bellied Stove
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut/Pea Anthracite
Other Heating: Munchkin LP Boiler/Englander Pellet Stove/Perkins 4.108 Cogeneration diesel

Post by NoSmoke » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 5:26 am

I use used hydraulic oil pails to tote all the gas and diesel fuel I use. They have extendable spouts, and having already been purchased for my hydraulic needs, they are free.

The lack a vent hole, but a 1/4 x 1 inch lag bolt cures that.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 6:29 am

cabinover wrote:I picked one of these up for my weed eater. Works very well with no dripping after you let go of the button. Will see how it does 10 years from now.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/no-spill-1.25-gal.-gas-can/ ... crEALw_wcB

Have several of the other useless ones. A good tearing apart and removing the spring and guts helps them out. :lol:
The No-Spill jug is the best on the market !! I sell them here at my shop,i've been using these for around 5 yrs. now in the 2.5 & 5 gallon sizes. I did have to remove the child proof part.... i couldn't get it open otherwise.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 6:36 am

NoSmoke wrote:I use used hydraulic oil pails to tote all the gas and diesel fuel I use. They have extendable spouts, and having already been purchased for my hydraulic needs, they are free.

The lack a vent hole, but a 1/4 x 1 inch lag bolt cures that.
Years ago those oil cans were steel and there were two screw on caps on top, one was a flat solid cap and the other was a stepped spout that screwed apart at two places allowing different rates of pour. The flat cap on the opposite side of the top could be loosened to vent. We used many of these fuel cans at my grandfather’s farm.

gizmo
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Pea
Other Heating: NONE

Post by gizmo » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 8:59 pm

You can get these containers everywhere in any color
you want.
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/vpr-3014.jpg?rep=False

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Sep. 14, 2017 9:30 pm

gizmo wrote:You can get these containers everywhere in any color
you want.
https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/vpr-3014.jpg?rep=False
As awkward as they look, these cans work great. They usually have an 18" clear poly hose that can be placed in the tank before pouring.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”