CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 07, 2007 7:28 pm

Greg,

Looked at the photos of your place, and called my wife into see it. You have a very nice home. Believe me when I say this: We know all about owning a very old home. It becomes a labor of love, a project thats never finished. We are convinced that no one in their right mind would own a place like this!

Attachments

OUR HOUSE--06-21-06.JPG

June, 2006

.JPG | 101.2KB | OUR HOUSE--06-21-06.JPG
OUR HOUSE SEPTEMBER 1996.jpg

Sept, 1996

.JPG | 122.8KB | OUR HOUSE SEPTEMBER 1996.jpg

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Oct. 07, 2007 8:15 pm

You are right, I'm not sane. :lol: :) :?

It is pretty crazy to take on so much upkeep and responsibility. I do enjoy it... sometimes. Right now with a few year's worth of coal in stock and a 'new' AA boiler soon to be installed, I'm not feeling too teribly oppressed by the farm.

Thanks, your place looks very nice too.

Greg L.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 07, 2007 9:28 pm

Thanks, Greg.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 11:42 am

I'm with you guys. Mine was built in 1887 and renovated in 1920 when electricity came available. The gas light plumbing is still in the walls. Barn was built out of trees, no dimensional lumber and no nails except for when someone put on the metal roof. The barn was built in the early 1800's along with the original farmhouse (which looks about as good as the barn). Insulation consists of letting the dogs sleep on the bed :lol:

Attachments

HPIM0973.JPG
.JPG | 39.8KB | HPIM0973.JPG
DSCN2262.JPG
.JPG | 75.2KB | DSCN2262.JPG

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 12:05 pm

Very nice e. !! Have to laugh about the 'canine insulation'. I used to insist that my big dog join me at night for that very reason, the bedrooms were often 55* or so. [propane heat]

Now that coal is heating the drafty old place, the dogs sleep on the floor, to keep cool! :)

My place was never sophisticated enough or near a gas supply, so it didn't get the gas-lights. But I did have some low-voltage wire-and-bulb in my place. Several different heating systems, I have found remains of two removed chimneys.

Everything is an afterthought, central heat, indoor plumbing, electricity, etc. It amazes me at times the stories the old place could tell.

Greg L

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 12:34 pm

e.--Your house looks great. I've always loved those Victorians. You mentioned the original farm house. Is that still standing?

e. and greg: This place dates from sometime in the 1830's, it's actually 2 post and beam houses built together. The original part is the half with the cellar, the second half is over crawlspace. It was completely renovated in the late 1930's, when electricity was installed (BX).

The stairs to the 2nd floor run the opposite was from the cellar stairs, the area under the stairs was completely enclosed. I opened it up and built a closet, I found the original weather boards from the outside of the original house. We kept them exposed in the closet.

The barn was the carriage house, the actual barn is long gone due to a subdivision.

It's rumored that there was a murder here a long time ago, I haven't had time to document anything about that. I can tell you that odd things happen in this house from time to time, and family members and friends have heard noises and seen figures or people (never happened to me).

If the walls could talk. I'm completely fascinated with old houses and could never live in a modern place.

John in (haunted) Stillwater.

Attachments

BARN DETAIL-1.JPG
.JPG | 85.6KB | BARN DETAIL-1.JPG
CLOSET7.JPG
.JPG | 85.5KB | CLOSET7.JPG
CLOSET2.JPG
.JPG | 104.2KB | CLOSET2.JPG

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 12:58 pm

the original house is still here about 100 yards from mine. The owners use it for a hunting cabin about once a year. There are oil wells everywhere on this hill, they used the natural gas to power the lights. They didn't heat with it though, I'm not sure why. One day an old lady pulls into my driveway. She introduced herself and told me her husband died in the house. I naturally asked where and she pointed and said right there next to the furnace. :shock: There used to be a crude bathroom in the basement where she pointed, I removed the toilet and threw it away. No way am I going to sit on the same crapper where the guy died.

ken

Post by ken » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 1:08 pm

i have an Italian Victorian , built in 1862. all the fancy overhang trim. 10' ceiling downstairs , 9' upstairs. the basement is 7' ceiling. that was one of the great points about the house. I was 6'3" and didn't have to worry about hitting my head anywhere lol. the foundation is 20" thick , big rocks. to look at the long wall down there 58' x 7' , my back just aches. I've been working on this house for 15 years. completely gutted her to the outside studs and all interior walls. been a fun project. did all the interior trim as was. just changed the floor plan some. had 6 bedrooms , made 4 big ones. one bath , made 3 full baths. I have a barn I could put the house in 2 or 3 times. if somebody takes some pics , i'll post some.

pret

Post by pret » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Fellas, my 'labor of love' is nearly over. I've spent the last few years working on this place - loved it... hated it.

I'm sad to be leaving it, but my wife really wants a new house... so we're building one soon and auctioning this one on Saturday. You can see pictures via this link:

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi? ... gid=344849

... this is why I'm missing the coal breaker tour! Maybe next year!

I'm currently heating with a wood insert and an oil boiler. I'm planning on using an AHS S-130 at the new place we're building. I installed an Osburn 1800i [i for 'insert'] about three seasons ago - my oil consumption dropped from about 1100 gallons to less than 400. THAT was and is a beautiful thing!

New homes just don't have the character, nor the heritage our older homes have. The stone portion was built in 1855 and the wood addition was put on in 1917. I'm really going to miss her.

ken

Post by ken » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 3:18 pm

sweet house. what the sqft? I know what ya mean buy , loved it , hated it lol :)

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 5:00 pm

e.,

So the guy expired on the crapper in the cellar of your house or the orig. farmhouse? It's not clear the way you wrote it, or I just can't read very well. It sounds like the orig. house is not yours (subdivided?), but you own the barn-right? I think I got it. Really love the barn, lots could be done with it.
Thanks.

John

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 5:38 pm

he died in my house. The original house with a couple acres was split off 25 years ago, someone else owns that one and uses it for hunting. It's my barn, I use the top level as my parts warehouse and workshop during the warm weather, the lower level has farm stuff in it and hopefully some pigs next year.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 6:08 pm

e.,

Now I understand. Thanks for the reply.

John

pret

Post by pret » Tue. Oct. 16, 2007 7:51 pm

Ken... it has about 1850 square feet... people say is looks like a big house - but it's not really. I just ripped off the roof of the back porch tonight, having somebody replace it with a rubber roof on Thursday. The view from the front porch is awesome... I'll have to send a pic.

I like projects... so the new house will keep me busy, especially with learning to burn coal. When I do something, I usually don't know what I'm doing to start off - takes me at least another go around to get it right, and usually a third till I'm happy! :lol:

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Wed. Feb. 23, 2022 11:26 am

i just bought a house built during ww 1 has nice base ment etc. wanting to use it as mancave ,my question is what would be a good water proofer,sealer for the walls and floor. thanx in advance.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”