Anybody Know How to Thread Black Steel Pipe?

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 11:51 am

Thinking about picking up a used Ridgid threading setup in order to make some sturdy shelves and even some cool looking furniture using black pipe. Black pipe flanges and other off the shelf hangers make great mounts to floors, walls, ceiling etc... and with the right imagination you can build some sturdy industrial looking stuff. Anybody know about these tools and and can give some threading tips?

Also Ridgid lists 2 different types of pipe threaders and die sets. Exposed and enclosed dies. Whats the difference and benefit?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Use plenty of cutting oil and make sure the dies are sharp. A dull one will make lousy threads. No real difference in performance of the two styles.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 12:39 pm

You need specific tool called a teenager for this task. :P Prepare for a workout.

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 12:39 pm

coaledsweat wrote:Use plenty of cutting oil and make sure the dies are sharp. A dull one will make lousy threads. No real difference in performance of the two styles.
I know there are some differences in the size of the pipes each style can thread. Other than that no real difference? Makes me wonder why Ridgid makes and continues to sell the 2 designs.

I have a tristand and pipe cutter already. Looking for a ratcheting threader with die set and oil can to complete the deal

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 12:40 pm

Richard S. wrote:You need specific tool called a teenager for this task. :P Prepare for a workout.
Lol beleive me I want a threading machine but cant afford one for what amounts to occasional hobby work. Im primarily going to be threading 1/2, 3/4 and the occasional inch pipe.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 1:53 pm

Dont forget to show us a pic or two of your completed projects! I love art that shows peoples imagination.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 2:58 pm

Harbor Freight mig welder to the rescue !

https://youtu.be/z6ynAMACdMo?t=170

cabinover
Stoker Coal Boiler: Hybrid Axeman Anderson 130
Baseburners & Antiques: Sparkle #12
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Buckwheat, Nut
Other Heating: LP Hot air. WA TX for coal use.

Post by cabinover » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 6:26 pm

NJJoe wrote:
Richard S. wrote:You need specific tool called a teenager for this task. :P Prepare for a workout.
Lol beleive me I want a threading machine but cant afford one for what amounts to occasional hobby work. Im primarily going to be threading 1/2, 3/4 and the occasional inch pipe.
1/2 won't be too bad, 3/4 will be a handful after a couple of them, 1"....I wouldn't want to by hand. Know any LP techs?

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 8:53 pm

I did my 1/1/4" black iron by hand, as long as the dies are sharp and well lubricated it's not to bad, I'm only 26 though lol

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Thu. Mar. 16, 2017 10:10 pm

I found it easier to cut the threads on a lathe to make legs for several shooting benches.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 1:11 am

Vbull wrote:I found it easier to cut the threads on a lathe to make legs for several shooting benches.
I call lathes finger removal systems .... LOL

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Fri. Mar. 17, 2017 5:05 am

If you're planning to thread 1/2", 3/4" and 1" you'll need to buy 3 separate threaders. Threading by hand isn't bad. If we only have a couple of threads to do do, we'll do it by hand rather than drag out the power machine and set it up. Heck, I even have a 2 1/2" to 4" threader with a hand ratchet. It might only get used once every 10 years though. Dennis

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sat. Mar. 18, 2017 11:56 pm

pintoplumber wrote:Heck, I even have a 2 1/2" to 4" threader with a hand ratchet. It might only get used once every 10 years though. Dennis
Years ago I was on a sprinkler job in a mall store refab, there was some 6 and (if I recall correctly) 8 inch on the mains :eek2: I was glad we used Victaulic fittings on anything 2 1/2 inch and up.
NJJoe wrote:Anybody know about these tools and and can give some threading tips?
Put a pan under your cutting space to collect the chips and oil, then filter and drain the oil back into your squirter bottle to reuse (and also it doesn't get washed into a stream). Lowes has nice handy bottles w/ a squirt top, of the dark cutting oil.

Edit >>> Just remembered this >>> http://www.shorpy.com/node/21439

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Wed. Apr. 26, 2017 11:08 am

Perhaps someone here can help me with this? I need help with the math/formulas that are used in calculating the lengths of pipes when mating them up to fittings. For instance, you have a flat board with 2 holes drilled in it a foot apart. 2 half inch black pipe sections are inserted through. You use a wrench to tighten 2 90 degree elbows and now need a length of new black pipe to connect the 2 elbows.

I need to cut a length of pipe but it needs to be shorter than 1 foot because some of the length between the holes will be comprised of the 2 90 degree elbow fittings, some of that length will be threads on each side of the pipe. So what should the length of the connecting pipe be?

I realize that this question is perhaps getting into math that those working in pipefitting use everyday. I need this kind of data not just for 90 elbows, but what about 45s, 22.5s, tees, unions, couplings, reducers etc... What is this math/measurement called? Is there a chart or table ?

I know I can, through trial and error, measure what I need empirically, but I want to avoid that. Thanks

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Wed. Apr. 26, 2017 1:02 pm

When working with pipe, we measure from centerline of pipe to centerline of pipe. If working with 1/2" pipe and your center to center measurement is for example 16", you subtract your fitting allowance which should be 1/2" for each elbow, making your piece 15" long. You determine your fitting allowance by measuring from the face of the ell to the centerline. Subtract how far the threads will screw in, and your measurement on a 1/2" ell will be 1/2" to 5/8". For your 45's, measure the center to center measurement and multiply by 1.41. Subtract your fitting allowance and cut your pipe. Dennis

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”