Bought a Snow Blower

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Rob R. wrote:David, I only decided to do this after going to the JD dealer to get a pack of shear pins to have on hand. The package was clearly marked with the model number...and they looked a lot different than what was installed in the unit. My concern was that the prior owner may have used a higher grade bolt than required.

I am going to put a fresh spark plug in it as well, the one in there looks original.
Rob, don't minunderstand what I was sayin. The bolt I pictured is standard equipment for my unit. This is the same snowblower that's used on Kubota's also.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 12:30 pm

I think I've got grade 10.8 in mine ... :lol:

Good score, Rob - looks like a decent unit. Certainly better than anything brand new these days. The new ones look so thin and light, it's a wonder they even last a season.

I put heated grips on mine a few years back when I rebuilt the gear case and impeller section. Got a pair for an ATV/ dirt bike/snowmobile - they're just peel n stick grids. Yanked the grips off, stuck them on, and reinstalled the grips. Had a pigtail hanging out of the engine for a light, so I tapped into that for grip power, and installed a Hi/Lo/off switch in the dash. Works great! Whole gear case, and every bearing, bushing, and belt is new.

I was tossing 3 lb. boulders with it last year, so I'm thinking I need to do the mudflap mod if I expect it to throw any snow this season. It beat the impeller up pretty good.

Rebuilt the transmission last season, and found a decent solid axle, and sold that infuriating differential assembly that would constantly spin the wheel with the LEAST amount of traction. Turned that machine into an infuriating battle every time I used it! Finished it off with a new chain. Only thing I haven't touched on it is the engine, aside from a carb clean.

It's a '88 Toro 828 Powershift. That Powershift feature is the balls. :)

Sting
Other Heating: OBSO Lennox Pulse "Air Scorcher" burning NG

Post by Sting » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 1:10 pm

SWPaDon wrote:My snowblower that goes on the front of my tractor takes 'shear bolts'. You can see the grooves in mine. My thumbnail is in the second groove on the threads.
if your having trouble holding the load with those bolts - try using bolts just a bit longer so the "sholder of the bolt is long enough to carry the load all the way thru the shafts. the thread end is loose so the other end always hold all the torq and fails . If the bolt is loose just double nut it at the bottom of the threads and carry on.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 1:16 pm

Sting wrote:
SWPaDon wrote:My snowblower that goes on the front of my tractor takes 'shear bolts'. You can see the grooves in mine. My thumbnail is in the second groove on the threads.
if your having trouble holding the load with those bolts - try using bolts just a bit longer so the "sholder of the bolt is long enough to carry the load all the way thru the shafts. the thread end is loose so the other end always hold all the torq and fails . If the bolt is loose just double nut it at the bottom of the threads and carry on.
The CORRECT shear bolts have those 2 grooves which are the shear points,putting in a longer BOLT with a longer shoulder defeats the purpose of the CORRECT shear bolt.
I have 8 different part numbers of shear bolts & shear pins in stock,all but the 1 part number has the shear grooves,that 1 looks like a regular bolt.
Last edited by windyhill4.2 on Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 1:27 pm

SWPaDon wrote:
Rob R. wrote:David, I only decided to do this after going to the JD dealer to get a pack of shear pins to have on hand. The package was clearly marked with the model number...and they looked a lot different than what was installed in the unit. My concern was that the prior owner may have used a higher grade bolt than required.

I am going to put a fresh spark plug in it as well, the one in there looks original.
Rob, don't minunderstand what I was sayin. The bolt I pictured is standard equipment for my unit. This is the same snowblower that's used on Kubota's also.
I knew what you meant. Mine uses a pin with a cotter key rather than a shear bolt. Gearboxes and such are expensive, I just wanted to make sure the right grade pin was in there.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Mine takes two different bolts. one for the augers, and a different one for the impeller. Just as Dave said, they are made specifically so the the shear point matches up with the auger or impeller. I've only had one break on mine in the entire time I've had the machine, so no troubles at all as Sting mentioned.

When you couldn't find 'shear pins' at first, I just wanted to put it our there that some applications use the 'shear bolts' as mine does. That way you knew what to look for until you got the manual to reference.

I'm a firm believer in using the OEM parts such as that. I've watched so many people over the years, destroy so many things by using the wrong parts. I'm glad you found the correct parts for yours.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 2:50 pm

SMITTY wrote:I think I've got grade 10.8 in mine ... :lol:

Good score, Rob - looks like a decent unit. Certainly better than anything brand new these days. The new ones look so thin and light, it's a wonder they even last a season.

I put heated grips on mine a few years back when I rebuilt the gear case and impeller section. Got a pair for an ATV/ dirt bike/snowmobile - they're just peel n stick grids. Yanked the grips off, stuck them on, and reinstalled the grips. Had a pigtail hanging out of the engine for a light, so I tapped into that for grip power, and installed a Hi/Lo/off switch in the dash. Works great! Whole gear case, and every bearing, bushing, and belt is new.

I was tossing 3 lb. boulders with it last year, so I'm thinking I need to do the mudflap mod if I expect it to throw any snow this season. It beat the impeller up pretty good.

Rebuilt the transmission last season, and found a decent solid axle, and sold that infuriating differential assembly that would constantly spin the wheel with the LEAST amount of traction. Turned that machine into an infuriating battle every time I used it! Finished it off with a new chain. Only thing I haven't touched on it is the engine, aside from a carb clean.

It's a '88 Toro 828 Powershift. That Powershift feature is the balls. :)
============================================================================

Now all you and Rob need is one of Clarences impeller kit to turn your snowblowers into dragsters!!

http://www.snowblowerparts.canada.ca

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Dec. 27, 2016 4:12 pm

Moar POWER LOL.

Maybe get this as a backup?

Teach that snow a lesson...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 6:38 am

We have gotten some decent snowfall in the last week and I have put the JD snow blower to the test. It runs excellent, and seems to chew right through drifts and snowbanks. It is not limited by power at all, just how fast it can take in snow.

I also enjoy the heated handgrips. :)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 7:49 am

Nice you finally got to test it out!!! :up:

Better get some of these to keep those sweaty hands dry or you'll be chapped....

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/under-armour-mens-no-bre ... swodicwCzQ

:whistle:

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”