Can O' Worms Project for Gram

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 7:30 am

Sunny Boy wrote:
It's not easy trying to figure out where is best to put grab rails and such for someone of a very different height,
She was here so I sized them where she wanted them.
Just getting in and out of bed can be a challenge.
This was problem for her specifically because she is so short, when she was a sitting down she was just on the edge of the bed and I was afraid she was going to slip off. There was some legs that just spun off that made it about 4 inches shorter so it's about perfect now.

She has a rail for the bed, it's pretty important because I put the potty next to her bed at night. This is another thing I had to McGiever because it wasn't short enough for the bed. This is the exact one, it's very sturdy.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/medical-lab/medical-equipm ... DQod5JYGbQ

The other thing was the wheelchair came with full length armrests which were adjustable something like this:

One of them broke and the guy that came to replace it didn't have those handles but he had these which were much better. She has more room for movement and the ends allow her to push or lower/raise herself in and out of the chair easy. It's little things like that which make a huge difference.

The other thing is I put a wireless doorbell on it, this is double block and it's perfect for taking care of someone like this. If she needs me she can ring the bell. She doesn't abuse it so I'm fine with it. The only problem is she's banged it more than once accidentally, not a problem during the day but certainly at 4AM. I'm going to put something on there so it's in a hole and not so easy to hit accidentally.

I have to give my Gram credit, she tries to be as independent as possible but that is double edge sword. Remaining active is important but she is often doing things she shouldn't be doing.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 7:53 am

You do great work. What I do by comparison is a can of worms.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 9:06 am

lsayre wrote:You do great work. What I do by comparison is a can of worms.
I'm slow but thorough. Learned my lesson a long time ago there is no sense doing stuff half assed because you'll either regret it or end up fixing it the right way. My biggest problem is I don't when to say good enough. ;)

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 9:10 am

Very impressive project; I'm sure your Gram is pleased! :)

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”