McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jun. 10, 2016 11:10 pm

Threw the Switch for the new Toy the other day. :roll:
Lots of "tweaking" clear into the start of the 3 day. Might be getting close now, reading for today says I harvested better than 33 Kwh and it was only partly sunny here today. :)

Still a few things to get "dressed up" yet. but I am 99.9% completed. :dancing: :smoke: :drunk:

I know, I know, "It didn't happen if there's no pictures" ...I took several pics and they will be appearing very soon.

Here was the beginning:
IMG_0697.JPG
.JPG | 275.6KB | IMG_0697.JPG

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 1:46 am

That's Great !!! Looking forward to seeing more. :up: :notworthy:

Paulie

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 5:11 am

Dang! Those gofers are getting real symmetric!

You're going to love it. This year has been a great solar year so far. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 9:04 am

Mc,

looks like alot of work. Lets get Larry working on how many watts of your energy went into diggin all that! Too , Im wondering why the leaves are all brown>>>? Just how long has this project been goin on :gee:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 9:44 am

Looks like your soil is nearly all gravel/shale. Must have been fun digging. 8-)

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 11:00 am

Rob R. wrote:Looks like your soil is nearly all gravel/shale. Must have been fun digging. 8-)
Yes, lots of shale...Hmm, maybe I should of just dug a wee bit deeper on into the Marcella and then even further on into the Utica Shale formations and skipped all this high tech electric gear.
waldo lemieux wrote:Mc, Im wondering why the leaves are all brown>>>? Just how long has this project been goin on :gee:
Like I always say, "I might not do good work,,,but I sure am slow." :P
IMG_1381.JPG
.JPG | 111.2KB | IMG_1381.JPG

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 11:31 am

For those who care to know...
---------------------------------------------------------
Date stamp: 16-01-2016
Time stamp: 17-55-10
http://www.cmpco.com/SuppliersAndPartners/MainesElectricityMarket/BusinessInMaine/netenergymetering.html

With “net energy billing,” the utility invoices the customer based on net energy over the billing period, taking into account any accumulated kilowatt-hour credits from prior billing periods. “Net energy” is the difference between the energy used by the customer and the energy generated by the customer’s facility over a common billing period. If the monthly net metered amount indicates generator output in excess of monthly usage, a customer will still be responsible to pay CMP’s minimum delivery charge. The unused kWh credits go into a “bank” administered by CMP. The banked kWh credits will be netted against usage in future monthly bills with the oldest credits applied first. Each unused kWh credit may remain in the bank for up to one year. At the end of each month, CMP will deduct from the bank any unused kWh credits that have reached their 12-month expiration.

Who is eligible for net energy billing?
Net energy billing is available to customers who use energy generated with renewable fuel or technology as specified

The generating facility must:
• Have an installed capacity of 660 kW or less to serve its own electricity requirements,
• Be located within the utility’s service territory
• Be located on or near the customer’s premises, and
• Be used primarily to offset part or all of the customer’s own electricity needs.

How does net energy billing work?
If the electricity generated exceeds the customer’s kilowatt-hour usage any net excess is banked and applied to the customer’s future bills as a reduction in usage. Within a current billing cycle the amount of generation produced would offset the amount purchased from a supplier and would reduce the customer’s delivery charge if the customer’s usage is greater than 50 kWhs.

If a customer is on a TOU rate the generation recorded on the out meter will be applied first to like time periods (e.g. on-peak will be applied against on-peak first, shoulder against shoulder, etc.). If there remains excess generation in any time period beyond the usage in the same period the excess will be used in the next closest time period. The intent is to use all generation produced within that billing cycle before adding any to the bank. If generation exists even after reducing all usage to zero (0) within the billing cycle the excess will be banked in whichever time period it was produced. In the subsequent month(s) energy will be drawn from the bank in the manner described in the preceding sentences.

If the customer’s usage exceeds the electricity generated plus any banked credits, the customer is billed for the excess usage at the applicable retail rate for electricity service. The customer’s invoice will reflect how many kWhs were credited against the current cycles usage. If banked energy was used or produced a separate spreadsheet table will be included with the bill. Once the banked energy is depleted the spreadsheet table will not be sent to the customer unless a bank is created at a future date. If energy in the bank exceeds the 12 month limit energy lost will be reflected in the spreadsheet.

A customer may accumulate unused credits and apply them against usage over the next 12 billing periods on a first-in, first-out basis. If the unused credits are not used within 12 billing months, the unused credits from the oldest month would be lost. The customer receives no compensation for eliminated unused credits.

Net energy billing applies only to kilowatt-hour usage charges. Net energy billing customers are responsible for all other charges applicable to the customer’s rate class (for example, a monthly service charge, demand charges, etc) and recovered either through fixed amounts or over units other than kWh.

A customer who uses net energy billing may purchase generation service from any competitive electricity provider that agrees to provide service on a net energy basis. If the customer is served through the standard offer, the standard offer provider shall provide service on a net energy basis.

The utility may install additional meters to record generation and usage separately, provided that the customer signing a net energy billing agreement will not be charged for those additional meters or other equipment. CMP determines how it will meter each account based upon the size of the generator and the expected monthly usage. If monthly usage is expected to always exceed the generated output, CMP will replace the current meter with a single net “smart” meter. This meter can operate in both directions depending on the relationship between the generator output and usage at any point in time, and it provides a true net reading at the end of the monthly billing cycle.

If the generator output is likely to exceed electric usage during some months, CMP will install either a meter adapter with two “smart” meters or a single “alpha” meter. The meter adapter with two meters (each meter will only move in the forward direction) may be used if the service size is 200 amps or less. One meter will only record the net outflow of energy delivered from the premise to the CMP system and the other meter will only record the net inflow of energy from CMP’s system. In some cases, a single solid-state net energy meter may be used (currently available for single-phase (non-demand) 200 amp and 320 amp only). This alpha meter will record the net flow of energy in both directions with a single meter. As a general rule, alpha meters are only used for small commercial net energy customers.
Note: TOU, = time of use.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 11:56 am

McGiever wrote:<snip>

Like I always say, "I might not do good work,,,but I sure am slow." :P
IMG_1381.JPG
I just assumed cause the wifey wanted blue frames at first, then red, then black, then orange etc....what should take a day w/o making it pleasing to the wifey = 5 yrs to make it pleasing to the wifey.

You're ahead of schedule IMO

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Im looking forward to reading about this. I'll never understand the tech talk since 1970 :lol: , but solar and wind power are always interesting.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Jun. 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Too bad I wasn't ready to harvest on this fine day...oh well. :cry:

Some parts are a little unconventional, but ya work with what ya got. :)
IMG_1933.JPG
.JPG | 258.1KB | IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG
.JPG | 282KB | IMG_1934.JPG
IMG_1935.JPG
.JPG | 286.7KB | IMG_1935.JPG

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 9:19 am

IMG_1938.JPG
.JPG | 300.7KB | IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
.JPG | 286.1KB | IMG_1939.JPG
IMG_1940.JPG
.JPG | 262.7KB | IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG
.JPG | 240.7KB | IMG_1945.JPG
Stashed away in storage waiting...

Attachments

IMG_0982.JPG
.JPG | 103KB | IMG_0982.JPG

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Will the system pay for itself during its service life, and/or did you want to be less grid dependent?

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 2:08 pm

scalabro wrote:Will the system pay for itself during its service life, and/or did you want to be less grid dependent?
Retirement hobby ...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
44 years as an electrician and I have the DIY skills and a vast array of resources.

To all... If payback is to be debated...Start your own thread.
That's too much of a "hot topic" and I would rather use this thread for technical aspects.
Hold your "Debates" elsewhere, Thank You very much.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 2:40 pm

I'll take that as a no.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Jun. 13, 2016 2:54 pm

How does the 33kw you harvested the other day, compare to your average daily grid consumption?

Is there an advantage to the two inverters vs a larger single unit?

What type and capacity are you going with for your battery storage?

And again ....Very nice setup !! :up: :notworthy:

Paulie

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”