Led

wilder11354
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260 Boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: nut or pea, anthracite
Other Heating: crown oil boiler, backup.if needed

Post by wilder11354 » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 7:20 pm

Not a biggy, but am switching over to LED lights(bulbs). Staying away from mass market no name brands(cree,utilitech, etc) sticking with, GE, Sylvania, and Phillips bulbs. Cost is a bit more for some bulbs, but total hours(life expectancy, 20K hours) of them are higher and over all quality(base fittings,construction,etc) are much better. Light color(kelvins) soft white, bright white etc, are mostly available for types needed.
Only have a few CFL lamps, not impressed, take a bit to warm up, cost factor, etc.

scoobydoo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer LE top vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by scoobydoo » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 7:33 pm

I just bought 35 of these the other day,should be here tomorrow http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-65W-Equivalent ... 355726-_-x They're for the new house.

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 7:36 pm

I've got two in my kitchen. Maybe 6 months old. One is already randomly blinking and I expect it to fail soon. I honestly don't recall the brand.

I've never had so many issues with bulbs since they started to ban the Edison bulbs.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 7:39 pm

We have been using some led bulbs for 6 mons, had 1 go bad, I called the manufacturer , FEIT,actually talked to a real live person,she asked me the approximate date of purchase & for various numbers off the bulb. She then informed me that we would be getting a new replacement bulb in the next 2 weeks. Easy . :D

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 7:44 pm

I have about 12 of the Cree brand bulbs in service, some for almost 2 years. Zero failures or problems. 5 are in my dining room light, which is on at least 6 hours per day.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 7:49 pm

I have found many uses for GE light stiks. I use Daylight ones in my work lights and attic, and soft or warm whites in the house. Their dimension replaces those expensive clear ones in my wife's hutches and nicely bright as well. 60 watt equivalant using 10 watts. These new LED lights have become a game changer for me. I wish I hadn't of replaced some fixtures to Flourescent when these would new LED replacement lights would of worked just as well, and no work :mad: The next change for me when prices drop will be the long lamps that replace 4' fluorescent lamps.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Rob R. wrote:I have about 12 of the Cree brand bulbs in service, some for almost 2 years. Zero failures or problems. 5 are in my dining room light, which is on at least 6 hours per day.
Ditto with the Cree LEDs. I just picked up more at Home Depot. The 5000 kelvin throw better light than the soft white incandescent bulbs of the same rating at a fraction of the power. I have two 100W and four 60W equivalent LED in my kitchen and it's only using the same amount of electricity as a 100W incandescent, but the kitchen was never this bright and evenly lite up.

We have three for outdoor security lights at Melissa's house - front, back, and garage door areas- that have been on 24/7 for over a year now. No problems. And all three used less electricity than when we had just one 60W incandescent at the front door.

They work very well even below zero weather outdoors. Whereas with the CFL stay dim in below room temps and are useless outdoors in cold weather.

Paul

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Jan. 03, 2016 8:05 pm

Was really surprised when I converted the Christmas Tree over to the cool running LED strings. In the past,I've always felt that the colors were hoky. When I had seen the new GE strings,Colors were where they should be,and the clears were very bright. I like the fact of having a zero heat source on a Live Tree,too. This is causing me to look at LED's for Home usage.

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 7:30 am

I have these in the kitchen, and bathroom, been installed for about 2 months, no complaints, light is a little more yellow, like a traditional incandescent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QFK92M6?psc=1 ... ge_o06_s00

I put two of these in our range over the oven in the kitchen, last week, love them so far, they are extremely bright.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HK880YI?psc=1 ... ge_o00_s00

and I have 4 of these in the garage, put them in about 2 weeks ago, they are awesome!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-sh ... navAction=

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 7:31 am

hotblast1357 wrote:I have these in the kitchen, and bathroom, been installed for about 2 months, no complaints, light is a little more yellow, like a traditional incandescent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QFK92M6?psc=1 ... ge_o06_s00

I put two of these in our range over the oven in the kitchen, last week, love them so far, they are extremely bright.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HK880YI?psc=1 ... ge_o00_s00

and I have 4 of these in the garage, put them in about 2 weeks ago, they are awesome!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/4ft-led-shoplight-sh ... navAction=
and I have these on the outside of my house, have points on amazon so I got them for free, they are actually alright, for the days it has been sunny, they work pretty well for the price, and light up just enough outside for the dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZQNVK3C?psc=1 ... ge_o06_s00

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 8:21 am

LED bulbs... LOVE EM'! Ive found that I like the brightest light fixtures I can find with built in LED's better than adding LED bulbs to an existing light fixture.
My kitchen light is the one light I leave on almost always and its the only light in the kitchen... dimmable, I figured the life to be 10 years & when on high its instantly bright as the sun :verycool:
P1010846.JPG

LED Fixture

.JPG | 55.9KB | P1010846.JPG

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Phillips 3 years no issues...
40 bulbs...

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 3:13 pm

According to product literature, mixing CFL and LED on same circuit may cause issues.

All of my lights are now LED, even my exterior lights. In fact, my backyard flood light is so bright it looks like daytime. The light is very clean and lacks the glare you would get from ordinary halogens.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 4:12 pm

EarthWindandFire wrote:According to product literature, mixing CFL and LED on same circuit may cause issues.

All of my lights are now LED, even my exterior lights. In fact, my backyard flood light is so bright it looks like daytime. The light is very clean and lacks the glare you would get from ordinary halogens.
I can see that as a possibility. Ballasts have always been a noise issue. But I did not think the electronic ones in the cfls were as bad,

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Jan. 04, 2016 4:17 pm

LEDs throw a lot of RF hash. Put a portable radio on am close.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”