Chainsaw Thread: Husqvarna Vs Stihl

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Need a new chainsaw soon. I'd like a 18 to 20 inch blade and ample power. Struggling with a crappy hand-me-down homelite brand electric saw from home depot and its getting time to replace it rather than waste $ repairing it. The saw bogs down under load, it takes forever to cut down a tree and I need more power. It has a 16 inch bar that is a touch too small, Id prefer 18 or 20 inch. Plus the electrical cord is always in the way and gets unplugged; I don't mind gasoline power or even mixing two stroke.

The big question is Husqvarna vs Stihl. I'd like to consider premium brands as I believe you get what you pay for. I have both dealers located close to me so support is not an issue. I would like to buy from one of these outdoor power equipment dealers, not Home Depot/Lowes.

Intended use will be occasional (once a month or so), mainly for tree cleanup and cutting firewood. I know you cant go wrong with either saw but what do you guys say?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 9:21 pm

Sthil "Farm Boss" equipped with a logger chain is an excellent all around saw.

I have an "MS290" Boss and I love it. Although now it's the MS 291 and 270.

I highly recommend one.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 9:40 pm

'Firewood'?? What is this 'Firewood' of which you speak?? I cannot imagine someone doing the work necessary to collect and prepare wood to burn in a fire?!?!?! :lol:

oh....I've had a Husqy w/ a 20" bar for the last 15 years and couldn't be happier! I can't remember the model off hand and the workshop is too far away!! I had a homelite before that and it was C R A P. It gets used about once per 2 months and will start up after a few pulls. Keep the gas fresh and be generous with the oil mix.

Unless the quality of one or the other has changed drastically since I researched way back when, I think Husqy vs Stihl is like a ford vs chevy discussion. Sitting here thinking about it, the wood burners I know are about a 50 - 50 split between them on chain saw preference.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 9:44 pm

Yep, what T & S said. I've had both & they're real good work saws.

NJJoe

Post by NJJoe » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 9:48 pm

titleist1 wrote:'Firewood'?? What is this 'Firewood' of which you speak?? I cannot imagine someone doing the work necessary to collect and prepare wood to burn in a fire?!?!?! :lol:
As much as I love coal, the fireplace(with some champagne & Barry White) sets the mood right for the lady. I showed her the dancing blue ladies of anthracite and no effect. Plus when friends come over, wood in the firepit it is :) Coal for heating, firewood for mood and outdoor parties :D

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 10:02 pm

NJJoe wrote:I showed her the dancing blue ladies of anthracite and no effect.
Whaaaaat?? Something is wrong.....I think you have a defective spousal unit if the blue flames of anthracite aren't igniting the flames of passion!! Try more champagne or a stronger drink like bourbon!! 8-)

All the blow downs and branch trimming here get used up in the fire pit too. Makes for some fun get togethers! Besides the absolute best hot dog is one that is well done in the campfire irons. Some mustard and relish or chopped onions and I'll eat three even though it means popping tums for the rest of the night! It's worth the heartburn!!!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 10:20 pm

We bought a Husqvarna 55 with 18" bar the fall of 1997,wore the engine out twice,the last time in early 2012. We then bought a Tanaka 40cc with 18" bar,i never was happy with that homeowner grade saw,it only lasted 1.5 yrs & burned up.We bought a refurbed Stihl MS280 (55cc) with 18" bar,definitely the most saw we have ever owned,but now it rarely gets used since we burn coal. We use it occasionally for our property maintenance.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 10:27 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XVL6EA/ref=a ... tag4020-20

100 buck electric remington ... I have had my 16" one for twenty years ...

A gas one is good but I prefer an electric as I do have about 12 hrs of sawing every year just for trimming and if a tree needs to come down then it handles that too...not an every weekend thing so a gas powered one I felt was not the best choice.

And its under 100 bucks .... sweeet

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 10:30 pm

titleist1 wrote:
NJJoe wrote:I showed her the dancing blue ladies of anthracite and no effect.

Whaaaaat?? Something is wrong.....I think you have a defective spousal unit if the blue flames of anthracite aren't igniting the flames of passion!! Try more champagne or a stronger drink like bourbon!!
8-)

All the blow downs and branch trimming here get used up in the fire pit too. Makes for some fun get togethers! Besides the absolute best hot dog is one that is well done in the campfire irons. Some mustard and relish or chopped onions and I'll eat three even though it means popping tums for the rest of the night! It's worth the heartburn!!!
I need to clean my glass !

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Check both brands out and buy the one you like best. You may like the way one feels over the other, I think you will be satisfied with either. I own a Husqvarna but also own other Stihl tools, both brands run trouble free for me.
A Polish man is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his back yard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, "Look, I have a lot of models, but why don't you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day." So the Pole takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?", the man asks himself. "I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day", he tells himself. So, the next morning he gets up at 4 in the morning and cuts, and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and he only manages to cut five cords. The man is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer." The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the Pole's claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, "Huh, it looks fine." Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the Pole responds, "What's that noise?"

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 10:37 pm

scalabro wrote:Sthil "Farm Boss" equipped with a logger chain is an excellent all around saw.

I highly recommend one.
Ive got one of the MX290's too and love it. I do have a couple suggestions. A new chain or a sharpened chain as the chains will make really short work out of wood when sharp, but a lot of work when dull. (common sense)

My other suggestion... DONT EVER USE ETHANOL GAS! You can buy those little stihl oil containers that you mix with a gallon of gas and its great, but don't ever use ethanol.... it will run fine with it then a month later you will go to start it and the engine will be stuck tight. Dont do it.

I think the husky's are just as good from talking to others, but my only experience is with my farm boss and lesser quality saws which I'm glad quit working (frozen up from ethanol), forcing me to buy my stihl.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Jul. 23, 2015 11:39 pm

warminmn wrote:
scalabro wrote:Sthil "Farm Boss" equipped with a logger chain is an excellent all around saw.

I highly recommend one.
Ive got one of the MX290's too and love it. I do have a couple suggestions. A new chain or a sharpened chain as the chains will make really short work out of wood when sharp, but a lot of work when dull. (common sense)

My other suggestion... DONT EVER USE ETHANOL GAS! You can buy those little stihl oil containers that you mix with a gallon of gas and its great, but don't ever use ethanol.... it will run fine with it then a month later you will go to start it and the engine will be stuck tight. Dont do it.

I think the husky's are just as good from talking to others, but my only experience is with my farm boss and lesser quality saws which I'm glad quit working (frozen up from ethanol), forcing me to buy my stihl.
Ethanol gas suggestion is a great one .. but getting non-ETOH gas is either hard to get or expensive (some stations have it in NH I think)....otherwise is 1 gallon at a time for big bucks. I wonder if you can mix it out using water?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Jul. 24, 2015 3:37 am

Whichever saw you buy, get it from a lawn and garden place. The ones from the big box stores are cheapened up models just like the riding mowers you get. A john deere mower from big box is not the same as a mower from a JD dealer. You might not be able to find it but somewhere in there the bean counters found a way to chintz so that big box can make their price point. :roll:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Jul. 24, 2015 5:17 am

For occasional use you would be fine with either one. Also consider Echo.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Fri. Jul. 24, 2015 7:19 am

Highly suggest that you buy from a store that provides service. Either saw is fine, but a full service dealer would be high on my priority list.
Jim

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”