Chainsaw Thread: Husqvarna Vs Stihl

david78
Baseburners & Antiques: Fuller & Warren Splendid Oak 27
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by david78 » Mon. Jul. 27, 2015 10:02 pm

I have been running a Jonsered 2149 for almost 15 years now; no problems, great little saw. I think the best bang for the buck in a mid size saw right now is the Echo 590. I bought one about a month ago for a little over $300 on sale at Zoro. Plenty of power, handles nice, 5 year warranty. Stihl is overpriced IMO.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Jul. 27, 2015 11:41 pm

Just a tip for the Stihl's, flip it over. Find the hole for the oil adjuster and turn it up to 11. :) I'd check the manual for any saw and do the same thing.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 12:09 am

Richard S. wrote:Just a tip for the Stihl's, flip it over. Find the hole for the oil adjuster and turn it up to 11. :) I'd check the manual for any saw and do the same thing.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check mine tomorrow to see if I ca find that adjustment as I've always thought it used less oil than it should. The 046's I used in my logging days used a lot of oil and I sharpened less.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jul. 28, 2015 1:07 am

Same thing here, actually though there was something wrong with it. Even turned up it doesn't seem like enough. Probably some environmental nonsense. Burn the chain and bar up to save some oil.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Mon. Aug. 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Husky 61....many years old. cut wood for a living with it...and many many cords of firewood. Have used Stihl and they are great. Get enough saw to do the job. I am considering an electric one for the small stuff.....they are awesome also.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 24, 2021 7:51 am

Logged a LONG time with Stihl's--then went to Jonsered--(sp. I'm sure)!!!! LOL Used Huskies on occasion--all good saws--never had that bar oilin problem---:) Pix are when I was MUCH healthier!!!! double LOL

Attachments

005 (2).jpg
.JPG | 6.1KB | 005 (2).jpg
007 (2).JPG
.JPG | 22.6KB | 007 (2).JPG
003 (2).JPG
.JPG | 60.2KB | 003 (2).JPG

KLook

Post by KLook » Tue. Aug. 24, 2021 9:42 pm

Logged a LONG time with Stihl's--then went to Jonsered--(sp. I'm sure)!!!! LOL Used Huskies on occasion--all good saws--never had that bar oilin problem---:) Pix are when I was MUCH healthier!!!! double LOL
I also had a Sachs-Dolmar that cut like hell....My dad used Homelites back in the day and McCulloch was da *censored* in the 60's and early 70's. Used a Partner as well once upon a time......

Kevin

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 24, 2021 9:53 pm

Yep Kevin--Homelites were the THING back even before my time!!!!!!! LOL

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Aug. 25, 2021 3:55 pm

I was waiting for the ad, LOL

Ive had Homelites, Macs, Craftsman, an Echo I still use and love, and a Stihl. I will say the Stihl chain can be made so sharp you could shave with it. I used to take bundles of slab wood and put 2 chains around the whole bundle, lift with a tractor loader to tighten it up, and cut the whole bundle in 15 minutes with the Stihl. I never could have done that with the others partly because I could never get the chain as sharp. Im sure there are other saw chains as good but I havent had them.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Wed. Aug. 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Grew up using Partner, Homelite and Jonserred. Husqvarna is my goto and I own 3...one for my chainsaw mill, one to buck up blow downs while hunting and one to cut up fire wood yearly for the outdoor fireb pit. All great saws!

KLook

Post by KLook » Wed. Aug. 25, 2021 8:32 pm

I forgot I had a little Craftsman that I mounted on my 4 wheeler for those emergency moments....It actually was a good little toy when it was sharp....but that is true for all chainsaws......learning to sharpen on right is a skill many don't have.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Aug. 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Kevin, when I was serious loggin, I always made sure I hired a lft. hander specifically for sharpening purposes!!! I did the right teeth & he did the lft. !!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I know--that's kinda cheatin but it worked well!! :)

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Aug. 25, 2021 9:30 pm

One thing to remember is where will you get the parts or get if fixed? I work at a Stihl dealership now, you have to service the product. You can walk into any Stihl dealership for warranty work no matter where you bought it...

It's getting hard to find places that still service small engines and when you get into 2 strokes it's even worse. At least in my neck of the woods. Where I work he turns away most other 2 stroke brands unless it's easy fix like the pull rope. Even then you might have that one Craftsman model that has the pull cord buried that requires you to rip half the machine apart to fix it in which case you are out of luck even for the simple repair.

The parts are hard or impossible to get on some things and even if you can they are often times not worth fixing.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Aug. 27, 2021 5:20 pm

KLook wrote:
Tue. Aug. 24, 2021 9:42 pm
I also had a Sachs-Dolmar that cut like hell....My dad used Homelites back in the day and McCulloch was da *censored* in the 60's and early 70's. Used a Partner as well once upon a time......

Kevin
Dolmar is Makita now.

Jonsered is now Redmax...I think Husky may still own them.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”