When Can You Stain a New Deck?

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Tue. Aug. 27, 2013 8:38 am

....oh Douglas ( shaking head and finger wagging ) what you see at home depot and lowes is # 2 or worse or being on the south shore you have Walpole Woodworkers, whom have the backing of " this old house" and are in many publications so they have the ability to rape people with a great big smile on their face! I on the other hand live approx. 40 miles from "Katahdin Cedar Fence" and have had a working relationship with the general manager from a previous job on the north shore of Boston where I was a shop foreman at a high end fence, deck, and gazebo manufacturer. We copied walpole woodworkers and charged 1/3 less and made a ton of money! I am sure pa. and n.y. have many a saw mill and plenty of cedar, Northern Aborvitae,or as some call it "Thuja Occidentalis" :)

the 5/4 was finished dimension, clear and smooth as a baby's behind!

JRDepew
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350

Post by JRDepew » Fri. Sep. 06, 2013 9:03 am

I did a lot of research on this and ended up using a stain by TWP. I went with the TWP 1501 - Cedartone. Gives a great look and goes down easy. The stain and the application method was highly recommended on contractortalk.com.

http://www.twpstain.com/twp-1500-series

Do a wet on wet application, 2 coats. Put your first coat on, then have some old shoes ready, get back on the deck and put a second coat right on top of the first before it dries. This gives the best coverage and the second coat goes on twice as fast as the first. DO NOT wait for the first coat to dry to do a second coat, as the second coat will take over a week to dry and look blotchy. This stuff really seals the wood well.

I applied mine by finding a cheap garden sprayer at a garage sale. Fill this with TWP and pump it up. Have one person spray it on while another follows with a stain pad. I also took a brush and went behind the stain pad to make sure the spaces between boards got enough stain. Here is what mine looked after the stain. I still have to do the railings but the roof is done (not done in this pic).
IMG_0585[1].JPG
.JPG | 238KB | IMG_0585[1].JPG
Joe

Charlesvent5

Post by Charlesvent5 » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 5:25 pm

I prefer brushes as they work best than other option. In removing stain from wood its important to chose proper brush for it.
I use Deck Stain Brush Applicator It is ideal for staining the full deck and patio. Perdura is renowned worldwide for manufacturing items of high quality that are both robust and user friendly. It is 7 inches long and helps in staining, sealing, and painting the products smoothly. You can also check other option in brushes for Staining Wood
Wooster Brush Q3211-2 , Presa Premium Paint Brush these 2 are also option

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 6:37 pm

C, he was talkin about stainin back in 2013--not paintin the Mona Lisa--- LOL Welcome to the FORUM my friend! :)

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. May. 25, 2021 12:12 pm

When the deck is 15x42 by 16x49 the brush can go kiss my rear. haha. Honestly the brush works about the best to get the spindles and around the posts well. Then we roll it. Time consuming job that I start with a good attitude and end with the comment of Im paying someone next time.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. May. 27, 2021 3:52 pm

my dad always just let the wood grey and hit it with the hose once every few yrs and spray on some clear water seal. i got the great idea to stain the deck two years ago.....most of it is coming off the decking. going to have to keep staining every 2 years now....ugha!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. May. 27, 2021 5:28 pm

Ya shoulda paid attention to your Dad L!! :)

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”