I'm Looking for a New Lawn Tractor.

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 5:57 pm

The machine I have is a 28 year old John deere 160 with a 15 year old Honda motor. I'm sick of working on it to keep it running. So I finally, I began the search.

So far, I've looked at (all the same basic specs 22 hp v-twin 46" deck):

Ariens - Briggs - Home Depot
John Deere - Home Depot
Husqvarna - Lowes
Husqvarna - Dealer
Ariens - Kohler - Dealer
Toro - Dealer
Cub Cadet - Tractor supply

I'm soo confused.

So far I pretty much have it narrowed down to an Ariens from Home Depot for $1400. I know, I've heard the cautions about buying from the"big box store", but the reviews make it sound pretty darn good.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 6:26 pm

I don't know, I bought a Toro from HD two years ago because my old Scag gave up & I have had good service so far. I talked to a dealer that didn't have any zero turns left & he told me that they were the same as his, I was under the gun as there weren't many to be had at the end of season so I bought what I could afford price wise as well, there were a lot of larger more expensive machines still around but they wanted like darn near used car prices. I still have a JD 160 that the wife uses, all original & I hope to keep that going for her if she quits running over things it may last a while longer. :roll:

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354 and a 254
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post by buffalo bob » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 6:29 pm

dont screw around get a kubota bx series I have a 1500 and a 2300 little salty but u get what u pay for...

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 6:33 pm

unless your going to use it for commerical work,the big box stores are fine.I had a 18 hp husky tractor for 24 yrs,beat the crap out of it and when it took longer to start then to cut the grass,I got a new toro z-5000 at home depot in 2008 and have not had any problems yet.

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 6:47 pm

I have about an acre and a half to mow and a limited income.

At 58 (will be 59 in August) waiting for a new heart, I figure that if I can probably get 15 years out of no matter what I buy, this will be the last machine I'll need to buy, Also, no matter what condition I'm in at 75 years old, I cant see myself mowing the lawn.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Ever think of a good used mower, more a commercial ? Cast iron front end, hydraulic drive (no drive belt) grease zerks. Take a look at an Ingersoll, they are built fairy well, and could find a good used one for the price of the big box store models. Of coarse their is nothing that is indestructable. I know of one that had the pressed steel front axle, and the turn spindle rubbed the hole into an oblong shape with it's brass bushing (no grease zerk)

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I agree with Fireman - I wouldn't buy any new item from any of those places. Buy an old (over 15 years) used unit for a tenth the cost and ZERO sales tax, and it will last you forever.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Find yourself a good used zero turn. The box stores are selling junk. It doesn't matter what brand it is, they cheat on them.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Apr. 10, 2013 10:24 pm

I agree on the zero turn for the least effort in running it.

New is nice for about 2500. Much heavier built than my old Dixon which lasted over ten years and I bought it well used.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 4:05 pm

Our friends have decided to up and move to Florida. The father is giving them a piece of land next to his house to build on. But, I'm getting a great deal on a used lawn tractor. They had a Husqvarna YT46LS that I bought from them at a good price. I only ran it around the driveway before I parked it in the garage but it seems good and I have the service records. Has a cast front end with grease fittings and a few other nice features. Basic design but will save me using the Exmark push mower on my larger yard at the new house.

Donb
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Chappee
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm morning
Coal Size/Type: Nut in both
Other Heating: Propain

Post by Donb » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 6:03 pm

Five years ago I was in the same market, bought a Cub Cadet twin from a dealer because I’d heard the dealer tractors had better mechanics than big box stores. With a bagger it was over $2k. Twenty five hours later (they have an hour meter) the transaxle seized because a rusty axle ate the seal and ran it dry. I picked up the seat figuring if I put in more tranny fluid in it I could get back to the barn. Nope.

To my surprise.....THERE IS NO WAY TO CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL OR PUT MORE IN!! So I looked up the manual on line, I just had to be missing something. And what do I find? “sealed for life, no need to check or add fluid”. Wonderful. I loaded it up and headed back to the dealer where it was repaired free, both parts and labor.

Two years and a month later, at 125 hours, the same thing started to happen....rusted axle eating up the seal...but I caught it before it caused any damage. I stopped by the dealer.....they said they would cover the labor but Cadet wanted over a grand for a new transaxle because it was.................... A MONTH OUT OF WARRANTY!!

So it sits in the shed. Two thousand dollars worth of pure junk. I bought a used Sears tractor for $250, I’ve been running it three years now.

I’ve never been one to bad mouth a product but this time it’s different.
DON’T BUY A CADET!!
Don

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 6:33 pm

They are starting to do the same crap on automobiles; engines without dip sticks and lifetime transmissions oil. What's lifetime? As long as it makes it past warranty.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 8:08 pm

My buddy bought a new John Deere a few years ago, nothing but problems. Same song and dance at the dealer fix the first few things then warranty’s out and your screwed. He wishes he had kept his old Wheel Horse. I have Kubota Gr2100 except for the 4 wheel drive setup that they since changed with a new design that I had to change over it’s been a excellent tractor.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 1:59 pm

you have to buy a shaft drive cub cadet to get a decent one.
my dad bought a new cub cadet 2138 in 2003. it still works like new!
i have several cub cadets made from 1965-1970. best garden tractors ever made!

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Mar. 01, 2021 9:26 am

Per Cub Cadet's website, they introduced the first shaft drive lawn tractor in 1994 (XT3 series).

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”