Indoor Propane Generator

ken

Post by ken » Mon. Sep. 28, 2009 11:02 am

Wasn't happy about drilling a hole through my door. :shock: I want to replace it some day though any ways.

djames6641

Post by djames6641 » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 5:05 pm

*****I URGE YOU TO REMOVE THIS ARTICLE STATING USING A GENERATOR INDOORS IS SAFE. BELOW IS A ARTICLE FROM MICHIGAN ON WHAT CAN HAPPEN IF YOU ATTEMPT TO TRY THIS IN YOUR HOM******AGAIN I URGE YOU TO REMOVE THIS ARTICLE.
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2016/02/family_of_six_dropped_in_their.html
FENTON TWP., MI -- They didn't know until it hit them.

The deaths of a family of six -- the youngest not even 2 -- came quickly when they were overcome with carbon monoxide poisoning after a 10,000 Watt generator, powered by a 40-pound propane tank, was hooked up in the lower level of the Fenton Township home.

They appeared to have "dropped in their spots," Genesee County Sheriff Robert Pickell said.

The 39-year-old mother, Heather Quasarano, was found dead next to the baby's crib, Pickell said. Grant, who was almost 2, was found dead in his crib. The father, 35-year-old Leonard Quasarano was found dead next to the generator. The other children -- 11-year-old Luke, 9-year-old Brenden and 7-year-old Rachel -- were found around 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 21, in different rooms in the home in various states of activity, Pickell said.

"What we're dealing with it looks like -- with the carbon monoxide that is colorless and odorless -- that they're dropping in their spot. Usually you hear about it and they're in their sleep, but obviously these people were not sleeping," Pickell said. "There was activity going on in different rooms, so you know, just to see that, it's just something...I just kept seeing it."

He also said it took about 1.5 hours to air the home before authorities could safely enter.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Welcome to the forum, djames6641.

While I understand your concern, and we appreciate your link to the information, WNY a site moderator posted the dangers of propane in the third post in this thread.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 6:28 pm

djames6641 wrote:*****I URGE YOU TO REMOVE THIS ARTICLE STATING USING A GENERATOR INDOORS IS SAFE.

The purpose of this forum is to exchange ideas. While I concur that it isn't a great idea and would strongly recommend against doing it and the info posted so far seems to support that. However, it can and will be done because it can. This thread provides information helping that someone choosing if it is a good idea or not. I am not going to remove it, info is knowledge.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Feb. 29, 2016 9:18 am

Don't know how I missed this post back in 2009 but the premise that propane doesn't produce CO is absolutely false. Properly burned it does not produce CO. However a venting problem that could cause the gas to burn using exhaust gases from the first burn will produce CO.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Feb. 29, 2016 9:47 am

There's one other danger besides carbon monoxide poisoning, that I don't see mentioned. Running anything indoors that uses up oxygen and replaces it with carbon dioxide is not safe.

At normal levels carbon dioxide is safe. When the levels get too high it displaces oxygen. That can cause carbon dioxide intoxication, and that can lead to death.

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Feb. 29, 2016 10:58 am

Make electricity optional, two coal stoves and an Aladdin lamp. Just think if the power had gone out my little Google laptop would have run for 11 hours, the modem UPS runs forever (it seems) and I would have missed the Oscars that I turned off after 5 minutes anyway.

I have an idle curiosity about how long I could really go without power. After 20 years of wrestling with generators I gave up. I am not a prepper, I just got disgusted with Entergy. Let them close Indian Point and three coal powered stations in NY and let's see how the liberals around here do. That will be more entertaining than the TV. I would hope the cuts would not spread to Freetown Corners. I would worry how FF would do if his wine cooler stopped. hahahahaha, I slay myself.
That can cause carbon dioxide intoxication, and that can lead to death.
Lookout if your partner is a 42D cup, you can never be too safe.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Mon. Feb. 29, 2016 11:20 am

Ashcat wrote:Propane produces no carbon monoxide--<snip>
I would disagree ...

http://staging.usepropane.com/safe-source-of-energy/homeowner-safety-information/

And carbon monoxide is not a greenhouse gas v. CO2 ... so shouldn't we all have burning appliances that just produce CO ... for global warming concerns? Look at me, solving the world's imaginary problems.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Feb. 29, 2016 11:31 am

Ashcat is at his considerable best making youtube videos for our enjoyment. I demand another. I tried a Generac propane generator, a total POS for a hundred reasons. Save your money.

djames6641

Post by djames6641 » Mon. Mar. 21, 2016 7:55 am

Please do not ever consider running any generator inside your home. While propane may not produce carbon monoxide it does produce carbon dioxide, which is just as deadly. Feb 2016 there was a family of 6 in Linden, Michigan which perished using a propane generator in the home. Its not worth it.
***Carbon Dioxide***At low concentrations, gaseous carbon dioxide appears to have little toxicological effect. At higher concentrations it leads to an increased respiratory rate, tachycardia, cardiac arrhythmias and impaired consciousness. Concentrations >10% may cause convulsions, coma and death.

CoalTurbo

Post by CoalTurbo » Thu. Feb. 07, 2019 1:45 am

Yes, this is very dangerous indeed. Consider reading this article: https://lawngardentop.com/best-power-generator/be ... generators on what is the best placement for generators. Like 18 meters for some. Installing generators at home is extremely dangerous, though a generator itself is a very useful thing to have. Please, read this manual for better understanding of the topic.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”