Your Monthly Electric Bill

theo

Post by theo » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Hello All, I am really getting upset about these electric bill's Mine was 280.00 this month for a family of 3 This seems pretty high to me considering we shut the extra fridge off in the basement and cut back on other item's. Last month the electric bill was 240.00. I would have thought that it should have come down since we cut back on several item's. Anyone out there have any suggestion's or tip's? What is your average electric bill per month?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Where do you live? What do you have for large electric draws? Stove? Water heater? Clothes dryer?

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 4:42 pm

Avg $250 a month. Family of 4. Electric everything, except heat. Now that the DVC-500 is running, we got the Coal-fired clothes dryer running in the lower level. Thats GOTTA save some electricity! Will let you know.

Chris F.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 4:43 pm

could be numerous things, do you have Flosecent Bulbs? what all is electric? Hot water, dryer, stove? Any other electric heaters, etc. on in the house? Are people home all the time? TV, Computers, etc...on all the time? Cell phone, ipod transformers plugged in all the time?

Other THreads on Electric bill, do a search...we have talked about it numerous times...
Electric Bill!!

Electric Bills

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 2:06 pm

theo wrote:Hello All, I am really getting upset about these electric bill's Mine was 280.00 this month for a family of 3 This seems pretty high to me considering we shut the extra fridge off in the basement and cut back on other item's. Last month the electric bill was 240.00. I would have thought that it should have come down since we cut back on several item's. Anyone out there have any suggestion's or tip's? What is your average electric bill per month?
Hey Pal! Welcome to my world. Living in the great state of NY certainly has its benefits, huh??

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 2:09 pm

Family of 3, $98.00 a month. steep for around here.

Bk

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 5:01 pm

I read somewhere that you can leak electricity. I don’t know exactly how other than damaged insulation leaking to ground maybe in a buried cable. If you think your electricity usage is unreasonably high could something like this be the problem.

Any electricians out there know if this is possible and how to track it down? My guess would be to disconnect everything from the circuit and then check for an amp draw.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Rig your meter!

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 8:35 pm

Paulie wrote:Rig your meter!
By "Rig" you you mean "Remove and jump connections"? :shock:
That would just be wrong :clap:

Chris F.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 10:58 pm

I see this is an old thread, but I wasn't sure where else to post this. You will notice on your electric bill there are many charges. A bulk of the cost is the delivery charge from the power company and a charge from the "supplier". Well, recently my neighbor was telling me about Ambit, since he has been selling it. Its one of those "networking" sales schemes like Amway - and being the nice guy that I am I changed suppliers from Discount Energy to Ambit. He assured me that it was a good move and my electric bills would be cheaper. So a few months passed and I decided to compare an old bill to my new bill since my electric bill seemed higher. I grabbed an old bill with Discount Energy as my supplier and compared it to my new bill with Ambit as the supplier. I was bummed to find that my old supplier was cheaper and I sent him an angry email :( ESPECIALLY since my old supplier isn't currently taking new customers :wtf: I was screwed.. Well, not really... After further investigation I noticed that the supplier charge varied month to month so I really don't know if I'm getting a better deal or not. I would also like to add that my old supplier Discount Energy had a variable rate too, and swayed up to $.03 per KW from month to month :cry:

This month my supply charge is $.037 per KW
Last month my supply charge was $.0605 per KW
(both charges listed here are with Ambit as my supplier)

So you see, based on this, my electric bill could vary $40.00 based on 1776 KW I used this billing period wow :shock:

Anyone have any advise on the best supplier?
Anyone else use Ambit or heard of them?

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 5:55 am

With electric rates that low it is quite likely costing you more to heat with coal than it would be to heat with electricity.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 6:42 am

lsayre wrote:With electric rates that low it is quite likely costing you more to heat with coal than it would be to heat with electricity.
Even at $.037 per kWh the electic is still about 40 cents more per million BTU. Having said that we still have to include the distribution charge and whatever other fees there are which is probably another 2 or 3 cents.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 6:46 am

lsayre wrote:With electric rates that low it is quite likely costing you more to heat with coal than it would be to heat with electricity.
Supply charges are generally about 50% of the Kwh cost, the rest is delivery.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 6:56 am

Yes, the per KW charges I listed are supply charges, sorry if I was unclear..

Last month when I divide total bill by KW used it was $ 0.133 per KW
This month because of the variable supply charge, my price per KW is around $ 0.10

I was simply trying to demonstate how your bill cound sway up and down from month to month even if you use the same amount of power because of the variable supply rates...

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Oct. 24, 2012 7:04 am

Also note that there are some fixed charges (meter fee, etc), so the more Kwh you use, the lower the price per unit.

My electric bill averages about $120 per month, and that is for approximately 1100 Kwh. We have an electric dryer that gets used a lot, but the range is propane and our hot water is heated by coal.

Return to “House, Gardening & DIY Projects”