Any BMW Motorcycle People Here?

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 7:06 pm

I've got my eye on a '79 R65 with about 60K miles on it. It's in VERY clean shape and basically stock. I used to be big into bikes (dirtbikes) back then and my father was into road riding with his Yamaha 850, but I don't recall a lot of the "specifics" of all the bikes from that era.

Any info would be appreciated - common trouble spots, parts issues, maintenance tricks, or something as simple as "RUN AWAY FROM IT". :lol:

I just remember that they had soft suspension, would run forever if maintained (100k miles not uncommon) and the carbs were a PITA to set up properly, with the emissions requirements making for lean stumbles, etc.

Thanks!

Chris

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 7:25 pm

There are a few of us here. I ride an 06 R1200GS, Matthaus has a couple of girlie-man RTs I think.

http://www.advrider.com and http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/ will have the experts you seek on an older beemer like that one.
I can't speak to the older beemers, but the newer ones don't have stellar reps for reliability.

I found this...
http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/R65.faq.html

doesn't look good. 1979 was the intro year into the US and in 1980 the R65 was called the "worst BMW ever made"

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 9:32 pm

I second the suggestion that the best places to look for information is BMWMOA, BMWRA and VBMWO (vintage BMW owners) each of these clubs have comprehensive forums.

Right now I'm down to two BMWs a 1961 R69S with a Velorex sidecar and a 1963 R69S with a R90/6 engine and a Hannagan Sidecar. I have had both bikes for at least 25 years.

At one time or other I had a 1973 R60/5 a 1974 R90/6 and an early 60's R27.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 9:34 pm

BMW, ( Bolivian Motor Works) :lol:

Bk

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 10:40 pm

av8r wrote:There are a few of us here. I ride an 06 R1200GS, Matthaus has a couple of girlie-man RTs I think
Hey, those are RS, we shall see how girlie I am when you are trying to follow me into a 130 mph sweeper on the GS! :lol: :lol:

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 10:47 pm

Matthaus wrote:
av8r wrote:There are a few of us here. I ride an 06 R1200GS, Matthaus has a couple of girlie-man RTs I think
Hey, those are RS, we shall see how girlie I am when you are trying to follow me into a 130 mph sweeper on the GS! :lol: :lol:
Hehh...I don't think the GS will go 130 mph...maybe if I took the UberBags off!

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 2:14 am

I have a 81 R 65LS they only made them for I believe three years. Its a great bike. I dual plugged the head and H-piped and jet coated the exhaust and welded supertrapps on it. Also put on rear controls and turned it into a cafe racer. lightened the frame and it is a sweet ride. I also have a '74 R90/6 with the Hein Gerrig tank. It too is a great bike. more comfortable then my gold wings or full dressers for the passenger at least. Air heads are just like a gyroscope... :D Nothing beats the power of my desmo drive ducati tho.

sandman

Post by sandman » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 2:23 am

iv'e been thinking about adding a R1200GS to the stable

iv'e been looking at 06's the prices seem to sway a lot anywhere from 9-16k

i don't even know if i'll like riding one.

btw:my current adventure bike is a tiger

i wonder how a R1200GS or a 990 adventure would fit in to possibly replace the tiger.

sandman

Post by sandman » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 2:29 am

Matthaus wrote:
if they'll doo 130 and your on a dirt rd i'd guess it would be in front of you. :D

then again if it was on pavement i'd be doonig that on a r1.

when asked why anyone would want to go 150mph on a motorcycle the only answer I can think of is I didn't feel like shifting out of 4'th gear

europachris

Post by europachris » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 11:24 am

Thanks for the info, everyone! I'm printing out the R65 FAQ to read today - GREAT stuff. Definitely pays to do yer research prior to jumping into something unknown lest one get burned! :idea:

My other ideas have been find a clean Yamaha RD350 or 400, but most have been raced, thrashed, neglected, or just plain wore out. Hard to find nice, stock examples that aren't going for $$$. Ditto for an older, mid 70's XS650 - love that twin with the 360 degree crank.

I may just have to suck it up and buy a new Buell Lightning Long http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/street/XB12Ss/features.asp. Little bit longer wheelbase than the other models and a bit more suited to sporty riding rather than all out road assault.

av8r

Post by av8r » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 11:25 am

sandman wrote:iv'e been thinking about adding a R1200GS to the stable

i wonder how a R1200GS or a 990 adventure would fit in to possibly replace the tiger.
Go ride one. You'll know in a few minutes if it's the bike for you. It fit me perfectly, but I have a dirt bike history. All of my friends that have ridden it have either bought a GS or are looking at them except for one guy that has a BRP Spyder tricycle.

06 and some 07 have servo assist ABS brakes. Some like them, some don't. Power brakes on a bike. If the servos fail you have to replace the ABS unit which is pricey. I put an extended warranty on mine just in case. I love the power brakes, but it is a point of contention.

A 4000 mile 06 with ABS, heated grips, trip computer, spoke wheels (optional over cast), engine guards and Corbin seats cost me a shade over 10K last August. Bike was dead new in the wrapper. Traded in on a new Yamaha sport tourer as the guys wife didn't like the height of the pillion on the GS.

av8r

Post by av8r » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 11:27 am

europachris wrote:Thanks for the info, everyone! I'm printing out the R65 FAQ to read today - GREAT stuff. Definitely pays to do yer research prior to jumping into something unknown lest one get burned! :idea:

My other ideas have been find a clean Yamaha RD350 or 400, but most have been raced, thrashed, neglected, or just plain wore out. Hard to find nice, stock examples that aren't going for $$$. Ditto for an older, mid 70's XS650 - love that twin with the 360 degree crank.

I may just have to suck it up and buy a new Buell Lightning Long http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/street/XB12Ss/features.asp. Little bit longer wheelbase than the other models and a bit more suited to sporty riding rather than all out road assault.
Wow...you're all over the place. 70s 2 strokes, Buells, Beemers? Quite a spread there.

Have you considered a Yamaha RZ? Plenty of those around and man....they are fasssssssssssssssssst!

Find a nice 01 BMW 1150GS. Dead reliable, comfy, fast and you can take it of road. A buddy just bought one locally with 24K on it for $6500 and lots of extras. Nice bike. You can sell it with 50K for nearly the same $$$

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 1:21 pm

I like your taste in bikes Sandman. The Triumph Tiger is a cool bike. All of the models you mention a little out of my price range and even more out of my "Can I really get the use out of it" range, thus I ride the KLR650 and a Suzuki V-Strom 650. I find a 650cc is all I really need for power and economy.

Sorry to hijack your thread Euro. All BMW bikes are really cool in my opinion. If you have the dough go for it. I wish I could justify a F650GS. But no one ever sings the praises for this model over the KLR or a similar machine.
Check out ADVforum.com. Good place to find a nice used bike.
Ride safe.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 3:12 pm

I have a RT1100 love it . Put over 22k miles on it since March of 07 . Been a great bike . Its got over 100k on the odometer . Would love to get a GS but to many toys now .Well I can never have to many toys but not enough time . Dave

sandman

Post by sandman » Thu. Jan. 01, 2009 10:20 pm

thanks

the tiger is my 150mph dirt bike.
my 100mph dirt bike is a exc 520
the hooligan bike was just upgraded from a duke to a super duke
and super sport is done on a r1

i think the R1200GS would make a nice upgrade from the tiger, although with the current weather pattern the only thing i'll be riding in the near future will be sleds.

if I come across a deal i'll more than likely pick one up. I cant see why I wouldn't like the bike.

btw:i didn't care for the BRP Spyder tricycle at all, for me it was more like riding a sled than a bike
av8r wrote:

can you turn the abs braking off? I know you can on the 990 adventure

Go ride one. You'll know in a few minutes if it's the bike for you. It fit me perfectly, but I have a dirt bike history. All of my friends that have ridden it have either bought a GS or are looking at them except for one guy that has a BRP Spyder tricycle.

06 and some 07 have servo assist ABS brakes. Some like them, some don't. Power brakes on a bike. If the servos fail you have to replace the ABS unit which is pricey. I put an extended warranty on mine just in case. I love the power brakes, but it is a point of contention.

A 4000 mile 06 with ABS, heated grips, trip computer, spoke wheels (optional over cast), engine guards and Corbin seats cost me a shade over 10K last August. Bike was dead new in the wrapper. Traded in on a new Yamaha sport tourer as the guys wife didn't like the height of the pillion on the GS.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”