"Kids thought it was a spaceship"

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Thu. Mar. 14, 2024 2:17 pm

Get ready for the teardown... The spaceship has arrived...

First opinions on the vehicle ... Are you ready???

BigBarney

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Thu. Mar. 14, 2024 3:55 pm

My opinion? Thumbs down. Clear coat costs extra. You have to wash it after every bug hits it.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 1:09 pm

How many vehicles do you know of that are self washing????

BigBarney

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 1:26 pm

BigBarney wrote:
Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 1:09 pm

BigBarney
It's not a matter of washing it, instead it's a matter of it washing off. Be interesting to see what kind of "petina" these cars can develop, might even look cool.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 1:29 pm

Ugliest thing I ever saw regardless of what makes ot go.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 1:34 pm

Nothing will wash off of stainless steel...

All you need is a buffing and its like new for hundreds of years...

BigBarney

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 4:01 pm

BigBarney wrote:

BigBarney
Mine are all self washing. Rain is the only washing they get.

I agree, after they age some they might get a cool looking patina. I'd even suggest some coal fumes on them to get that rust look stainless stove pipes get.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 4:05 pm

Ran across an article, don't know where but it was about these trucks rusting already.

Are they really SS ?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 5:17 pm

grumpy wrote:
Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 4:05 pm
Ran across an article, don't know where but it was about these trucks rusting already.

Are they really SS ?
There are many types of alloys that are classed as stainless steel. Some of which have been used in autos for a hundred years.

The irony is that most stainless steel alloys are not truly "stainless" they are really just stain resistant - some more than others. Tesla says they had to come up with a new special process for forming the body panels because the special "high strength" alloy they used cannot be formed in conventional metal forming machines.

Time will tell how well it resists all the nasty stuff that is in the everyday environment.

One of the tests for stainless steels is how much time it can be subjected to a salt spray before it shows corrsion..... just like driving on our winter roads. :roll:

Paul

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Mar. 16, 2024 5:23 pm

BigBarney wrote:

BigBarney
Not sure what that has to do with the price of tea. The manual mentioned immediately cleaning off sap and bug splatter.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Sun. Mar. 17, 2024 12:15 am

grumpy wrote:

Are they really SS ?
Stainless means stain-less not stain proof. It's common for stainless steel stampings to have tiny bits of the tool steel dies smashed in the surface which can rust and breed rust on the stainless part. Oddly enough, lots of times "good" stainless will become slightly magnetic and be slightly prone to rust where it's been bent. A metallurgist gave me a 45 minute explanation for why it happens an all I remember was the crystal structure of the steel gets broken and somehow that causes it.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Mar. 17, 2024 8:12 am

grumpy wrote:

Are they really SS ?
It's not really a rust like you would see on regular metal where it's pitting the metal, more like a petina. The only real issue here is cosmetic and maintaining it. Buff it off and it will look like new. If I owned one of these trucks and wanted to keep the finish I'd use a marine wax. If left to it's own thing it will eventually rust but if the SS is decent it's will far surpass the life of the vehicle.

There was an engineer I watched on video and his specialty was corrosion. The comment he made was they could make car bodies/parts that could last for centuries but the expense would be outrageous. They have to find the line where the expense has a benefit. Generally speaking the expense of using SS for a car body does have enough benefit.

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Sun. Mar. 17, 2024 8:27 am

Lot's of SS will attract a magnet , (lesser quality). The good stuff is high in nickel ,and will not attract a magnet .

304 SS will rust , 316 SS generally will not . 316 SS works good for stove pipe .

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Sun. Mar. 17, 2024 11:47 am

Richard S. wrote:
Sun. Mar. 17, 2024 8:12 am
It's not really a rust like you would see on regular metal where it's pitting the metal, more like a petina. The only real issue here is cosmetic and maintaining it. Buff it off and it will look like new. If I owned one of these trucks and wanted to keep the finish I'd use a marine wax. If left to it's own thing it will eventually rust but if the SS is decent it's will far surpass the life of the vehicle.

There was an engineer I watched on video and his specialty was corrosion. The comment he made was they could make car bodies/parts that could last for centuries but the expense would be outrageous. They have to find the line where the expense has a benefit. Generally speaking the expense of using SS for a car body does have enough benefit.
Thanks, I couldn't help but wonder if they were passing it off like they do with fridges, stoves and BBQ's..

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. Mar. 17, 2024 1:07 pm

As a general rule the main stainless steels that don't rust under normal conditions are the 300 series- Im not an expert but anything else like 400 series 17-4 15-5 will readily rust even in humid environments. Most high and low quality kitchen knives will rust if left outside. But you're not doing that now are you. Positively rust proof stainless is in my opinion overrated- few applications actually demand it. Coatings and environment can play a bigger part than realized in many cases. True Stainless steel is not the magic fit all answer. Think about it- ash tubs are made from low quality recycled steel with a zinc coating. They're literally housing some extremely caustic stuff and then set out on the curb in the snow and rain to be picked up by the ash guy, and how long do they last...? Long enough to not need to be stainless. What are you doing with your car? Going for salt baths?

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”