BYD Seal at $11,500 brand new EV

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Feb. 27, 2024 12:01 am

Here's a low cost EV .... Small car with worldwide demand...

252 mile range and seems pretty quiet...

No neck snapping acceleration...

US & world legacy auto better learn quick or die....

BigBarney

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Tue. Feb. 27, 2024 6:12 am

Another car you will never see in the US because of safety regulations.

anthony7812
Other Heating: Mendota oil/wood hot air furnace

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Feb. 27, 2024 5:12 pm

Why would u.s need to learn quick? Looks like they are learning pretty quick about ROI (return on investment) and aborting major EV plans…. I like E.V’s but even I know if you force something down something’s throat, they tend to gag on it.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Wed. Feb. 28, 2024 9:32 am

“We’re not planning to come to the US,” Stella Li, executive vice president of BYD and CEO of BYD Americas, told Yahoo Finance Live (video above). “It’s an interesting market, but it is very complicated,” she added, citing growing political pushback on Chinese companies and the slowing rate of growth for EV adoption.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Feb. 28, 2024 12:12 pm

mozz wrote:
Tue. Feb. 27, 2024 6:12 am
Another car you will never see in the US because of safety regulations.
Hard to gauge the accuracy of the reporting but there is lot videos of that make catching fire and violently exploding.

Toyota just came out with smaller truck that looks like it would be really nice $12K. It comes with flatbead you can add practically anything too. Won't be sold in the US.

There is two issue with these smaller vehicles, especially trucks. They don't meet US safety standards and the second issue is CAFE standards don't make them profitable. The vehicle manufacturer need to meet averages. They will sell very high MPG vehicles at lower profit margins so they can sell more higher end vehicles. Small cheap trucks don't fit into either category.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 1:15 am

One of the big problem is that most people identify cars that

are eletrified as EV's which is incorrect. EV's are not hybrids of

any kind and are gasoline and electric powered.

It is hard to identify which car is actually involved in these fires.

This is in the US..

"A recent study by US insurer, AutoinsuranceEZ found that hybrid cars had the worst fire record, while EVs were the least likely type of car to catch fire. Hybrid cars had 3474.5 fires per 100,000 sale; petrol cars had 1,529.9 fires per 100,000 sales and EVs had just 25.1 fires per 100,000 sales.Oct 25, 2023"

Gasoline cars:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-recalls- ... automakers.

BigBarney

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 7:58 am

BigBarney wrote:
Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 1:15 am

"A recent study by US insurer, AutoinsuranceEZ found that hybrid cars had the worst fire record, while EVs were the least likely type of car to catch fire. Hybrid cars had 3474.5 fires per 100,000 sale; petrol cars had 1,529.9 fires per 100,000 sales and EVs had just 25.1 fires per 100,000 sales.Oct 25, 2023"

Gasoline cars:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/car-recalls- ... automakers.

BigBarney
I dont see this quote in the article linked to (I could have missed it) but would like to see where you found it. That would be 3.4% of hybrid cars catching fire and 1.5% of gas autos.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 8:07 am

Never mind, I found it... https://www.autoinsuranceez.com/gas-vs-electric-car-fires/

There are also many sites calling those figures BS. Another case of you can find any study results you want to if you look hard enough.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 9:31 am

I linked to some stats recently. The fires is gasoline cars are typically in older cars, 10 years old plus and electrical. The EV vehicles also have 12 volt system and similar components, I would expect the rates of those types of fires to be consistent when you have a lot of older electric vehicles on the roads.

I think the concern with the electric vehicles is the how these fires are occurring, where and the intensity. e.g. in someones garage when they are charging it.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 9:44 am

Having put out an ICE engine fire on the side of the NY Thruway with just hands full of dirt, it's a lot different and much easier fire to fight than the equivalent of a huge road flare burning under the car.

Fire officials have determined that the difference is an EV car fire takes far more water and time to put out than with an ICE engine car.

Paul

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 11:56 am

For more info go to NFPA which tracks all fires... Near the bottom vehicle fires...

https://www.nfpa.org/education-and-research/resea ... ted-states

BigBarney

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Fri. Mar. 01, 2024 12:09 pm

Even if they could import these cars the fed would make them install saw stop and that would be that....Ha lol

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Mar. 19, 2024 10:44 am

If we were to agree that EV's are more prone to fire damage than ICE's would it be wise to consider damage of property and or life caused by ICE vehicles that do not exist with EV's and compare all property damage/life damage from ICE to the same with EV's?
What happens when an ICE engine just quits while going down the highway? What about when an ICE powered vehicle has transmission or brake failure?
I do not know or claim to know. But if I am not mistaken there is probably less mechanical failure on the EV's than the ICE vehicles.
When an ICE engine shuts down for any reason what happens to the steering and braking?
I think the true comparison would be to look at a huge group let's say 1 million Tesla's and compare all casualties of property and or life/injury while driving the Tesla vs driving the ICE.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Mar. 19, 2024 11:32 am

ColdHouse wrote:
Tue. Mar. 19, 2024 10:44 am
When an ICE engine shuts down for any reason what happens to the steering and braking?
I once drove my old F-250 with just the e-brake about 10 miles including coming down a pretty significant mountain. Manual transmission and I was quite familiar with the hill and knew there was only one spot I would need the e-brake to slow downa little. No power steering so that is really irrelevant.

I guess you can ask the same question about a EV vehicle, what happens to the steering and brakes when the battery is dead?

I think you are grasping at straws.

ColdHouse

Post by ColdHouse » Tue. Mar. 19, 2024 11:36 am

Richard S. wrote:
Tue. Mar. 19, 2024 11:32 am
I once drove my old F-250 with just the e-brake about 10 miles including coming down a pretty significant mountain. Manual transmission and I was quite familiar with the hill and knew there was only one spot I would need the e-brake to slow downa little. No power steering so that is really irrelevant.

I guess you can ask the same question about a EV vehicle, what happens to the steering and brakes when the battery is dead?

I think you are grasping at straws.
Not grasping at straws just suggesting that a fair comparison would be to straight up compare all casualties of property, injury, and life from EV and ICE vehicles.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”