Alternator?

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Thu. May. 04, 2023 1:39 pm

It's a shame. Glad I don't drive much.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Thu. May. 04, 2023 3:25 pm

All the makers are gone way down in lifespan and reliability. Direct injection and terrible CTV transmissions are most to blame. The LSPI, valve deposits and fuel dilution of engine oil have wreaked havoc for some years.
Honda/Acura has gone to the bottom several years ago. Joining the likes of VW, Mini and Hyundai/Kia Theta engines. 20k engine life in many cases. Even the ones that did it better, like Toyota, are now 100k mi cars now, not 250k. Ask Ford about all those years of dry clutch CVT's. Yeah, they knew better. :lol:

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. May. 05, 2023 10:56 am

I call this, "A-hole engineering".

And after all this junk, just wait until you attempt to repair it. The most INFURIATING engineering in human history. ZERO regard for those tasked to keep these shitboxes moving.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Fri. May. 05, 2023 11:11 am

Actually the engineering is to make it so that you have to go to the dealership for repairs. I realized this years ago when I saw many dealerships were being upgraded and how they were expanding the service department but not the showrooms. Then got confirmation of that when discussing it with one of my customers who at the time was general manager of one of the largest Ford dealerships in the country.

Paul

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Fri. May. 05, 2023 11:17 am

Yep, and at the same time, corporate is squeezing hours from techs, making it a lose-lose situation. The pay scheme encourages speed & parts-changing, with zero diagnostics. This is why for most complex electrical problems, you'll be back at least 3x for the same problem, with your bank account bled DRY.

Corporate not only screws you, the consumer, but their techs as well. The house always wins!

Paper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
Other Heating: Woodland wood stove

Post by Paper » Wed. May. 10, 2023 12:07 pm

grumpy wrote:
Mon. Apr. 24, 2023 8:45 pm
Rockauto check it out
You only like them because of the cool, free magnet..

Oh wait.. That's me. ;)

My alternator died on my 02' Tundra a couple of years ago and the replacement was $125. Took an hour to replace, but it's a 4x4 truck and there's room under it to work. As several have mentioned, 12.5v while running seems low, and borderline too low.

Just a thought.. If you're not interested in doing it yourself, check with your local high school and see if they're interested in doing the work as part of shop class. Just a thought.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Wed. May. 10, 2023 6:40 pm

[/quote] Just a thought.. If you're not interested in doing it yourself, check with your local high school and see if they're interested in doing the work as part of shop class. Just a thought.

You kidding..

Paper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
Other Heating: Woodland wood stove

Post by Paper » Wed. May. 10, 2023 8:19 pm

Nope
I've never done it myself, because I do my own work, but I know others who have with good results. Mostly because of a good teacher.
Your results may vary.

nut
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glacier Bay
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: electric

Post by nut » Wed. May. 10, 2023 9:51 pm

N.Y. has a mechanic vo-tech program called BOCES that takes in cars. At least they did when I was in high school.

SMITTY

Post by SMITTY » Thu. May. 11, 2023 11:08 am

One of the guys I work with just had a heater core put in, along with a few other things at a high school in the city. Cost him 1/3rd of what it would have otherwise.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. May. 11, 2023 11:24 am

nut wrote:
Wed. May. 10, 2023 9:51 pm
N.Y. has a mechanic vo-tech program called BOCES that takes in cars. At least they did when I was in high school.
I've hired a couple of BOCES students from here in central NY. Whoever their teacher was should not be teaching how to work on cars. Hired another that went through the autobody course, and I had to teach him how to do paint work. :roll:

I'd look for a college with an auto tech course. I've dealt with the one at SUNY Morrisville and they are very good.

Paul

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. May. 11, 2023 1:12 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Thu. May. 11, 2023 11:24 am
I've hired a couple of BOCES students from here in central NY. Whoever their teacher was should not be teaching how to work on cars. Hired another that went through the autobody course, and I had to teach him how to do paint work. :roll:

I'd look for a college with an auto tech course. I've dealt with the one at SUNY Morrisville and they are very good.

Paul
LOL just recently, I noted that a chemist, a person with a degree in chemistry was give the simple task of making a 1 ppm solution of a compound in a solvent. The person went to a youtube video to show the chemist how to do this. I recommended terminating the employee.

My first time I made a solution with a specific ppm to be used as a standard solution I recall. It was a 1000 ppm solution of cyanide in water (NaCN). The jar of NaCN available was like 20 years old and solid due to moisture uptake. So it was really impossible to know for sure how much NaCN was in what I weighed so I made a guess as to the % of moisture and made a solution. I then tested it to see what the ppm was and then adjusted the concentration by adding water, adding more of the chiseled out salt, etc until I got a 1000 ppm solution.

Clearly, the school that the person who had to look at a youtube video to see how to make a standard solution is not a school where I would hire someone from without asking a job candidate "how do you make a 1ppm solution?" and other probative questions. Maybe public schools are teaching that making a 1 ppm solution is racist, who knows.

So when you hire someone today, you have to ask them the most basic questions as well as the harder ones.

Sometimes I have asked job applicants (chemist position for degreed chemists) to define "organic compound" ... # of people who got it right: zero, even PhD Organic Chemists. Go figure. Public education.

grumpy

Post by grumpy » Thu. May. 11, 2023 7:13 pm

You only like them because of the cool, free magnet

I want one with a Fiero on it

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”