Here comes the electric AIRPLANES

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 3:25 pm

Are you honestly believing that you’ll reach in a car, aircraft speeds, at 10 cents a mile?!!!!

Dude, if Or when we do achieve this, do you really believe electric rates wont be as high or higher than fossil fuel comparison. I’m putting a bet a road tax will be instituted on electric bills as well. Hell can you imagine aircraft speeds on pennsyltucky roads?!! Hahaha 81 through Scranton area will take out a strut doin fitty five

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 5:17 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Mon. Jan. 09, 2023 5:32 pm
What if the battery fails mid flight?

My 2013 Sonata hybrid turned into a brick yesterday trying to go to the store. I'm getting a code for a bad hybrid battery pack. Do I spend 8 grand on a new battery replacement or sell it to a salvage yard?
I had a 2001 Honda Insight hybrid...battery went bad but car still ran, although slow acceleration. And I asked this question prior to new purchase...always a ? to ask with a hybrid, at least one makes an informed decision.

https://www.car-part.com/

^ look for battery here ... know what batteries will fit it...perhaps alternatives to just a Sonata model

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 5:22 pm

anthony7812 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 3:25 pm
Are you honestly believing that you’ll reach in a car, aircraft speeds, at 10 cents a mile?!!!!

Downhill maybe kek. On hilly roads I can use zero gas or electricity if driven right..

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 10:55 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 5:17 pm
I had a 2001 Honda Insight hybrid...battery went bad but car still ran, although slow acceleration. And I asked this question prior to new purchase...always a ? to ask with a hybrid, at least one makes an informed decision.

https://www.car-part.com/

^ look for battery here ... know what batteries will fit it...perhaps alternatives to just a Sonata model
The code I got from the ecm could be either a bad hybrid battery pack, bad wiring or coolant or oil in the hybrid electrical system. Without any way to diagnose it (i cant find a factory service manual and no techs will offer assistance because it's high voltage). I asked questions on several forums and youtube and every tech said take it to the dealer or did not respond. I asked the dealer to diagnose it for me in hopes I can have it towed back home and find used parts and fix it myself. I had a problem with the hybrid warning beeper going off twice before and took it to the dealer and it was the 12 volt battery. This car has gone thru more 12 volt batteries than any car i owned
2011-2015 sonata and kia optima used the same driveline and hybrid system. a used battery pack is $620, dealer wants $5,600

If I am able to fix it myself i'm selling it right away! Car is worth as much as I paid for it 5 years ago because of fuel prices.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 11:06 pm

Looks like you'll have to take it to a dealer for analysis. Is this car's warranty a Calf. one ? Ten years might be battery coverage. Just because its sold in another state does not mean that the warranty is not the Calf. one..ready the car's manual & warranty paperwork.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 11:07 pm

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 11:06 pm
Looks like you'll have to take it to a dealer for analysis. Is this car's warranty a Calf. one ? Ten years might be battery coverage. Just because its sold in another state does not mean that the warranty is not the Calf. one..ready the car's manual & warranty paperwork.

I had a Calf. warranty car...cat went bad. Non-hybrid models of same car model were not covered by Calf; my hybrid was. Got a free cat.

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 8:22 pm

Guys. At .10$ a mile an electric plane obviously beats the electric car. The figures don’t lie, but liars figure. I’d like to see the proof of that cost per mile, including liftoff consumption and whether or not this thing had to be towed into flight like a glider.

Someone do the simple math and figure out how far that means this plane could fly on an average car battery .....

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 8:27 pm

Did you catch the part where they installed the charger? Who is carrying the bill?

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Jan. 11, 2023 9:58 pm

vin-diesel-1536x1213.jpeg
.JPEG | 158KB | vin-diesel-1536x1213.jpeg

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Jan. 26, 2023 10:36 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 10, 2023 11:06 pm
Got it back a few days ago. $1290.00 to replace the Power relay assembly for the hybrid battery. I could have gotten the part for about $450 wholesale but had no access to a service manual or diagnostics. They do not want people working on the high voltage stuff.
Not going to buy another hybrid or ev.

davidmcbeth3

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 7:35 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Thu. Jan. 26, 2023 10:36 am
Got it back a few days ago. $1290.00 to replace the Power relay assembly for the hybrid battery. I could have gotten the part for about $450 wholesale but had no access to a service manual or diagnostics. They do not want people working on the high voltage stuff.
Not going to buy another hybrid or ev.
My local guy won't touch the high voltage stuff. I've had nothing but EV/hybrids > 20 yrs now..dang, getting old we are

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Fri. Feb. 03, 2023 11:39 pm

Had EV's for (2016-2023) 8 years in 2023, and now am fully free of the ICE

system,sold the last one...

Never had any repairs on any of our vehicles or any type of

maintenance at all...

BigBarney

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Feb. 10, 2023 12:29 pm

No chance in hell electric will ever replace a jet engine. There isn't a battery pack big enough to match what Jet A accomplishes, launching 200,000 pound plus airliners into the air daily, and flying for 3-6,000 miles before refueling. Not going to happen in our lifetimes. You can't exactly just land one of these anywhere off airport! That rarely ends well, unless it happens over the midwest, or a large river like the Hudson.

I can see electric coming into the ultralight industry, and certain small piston aircraft, especially trainers. Schools will love the savings on fuel and maintenance. As for larger piston and turboprop aircraft, we're nowhere near the battery technology needed to power those yet.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”