New Ford 150 Lightning

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Fri. Mar. 24, 2023 1:55 pm

I find it very enlightening that some train engines use diesel generators to run electric motors at the wheels. My understanding of this is because of the drive train reduction by using electric motors, as well as a very large mass moving at a constant rate with minimal stops. If batteries were magically always better this would be the first industry to integrate it, no? And if 35kWh per 100 miles is true than don't you need to factor in transmission charges? Or do you only get billed for the kWh usage where you live?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Mar. 24, 2023 2:05 pm

You are billed for what you consume at the point of use. Anything lost in generation and transmission should already be considered in the cost.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2023 4:10 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Fri. Mar. 24, 2023 1:55 pm
And if 35kWh per 100 miles is true than don't you need to factor in transmission charges? Or do you only get billed for the kWh usage where you live?
I calc fuel cost for my EV to include delivered $$/kwh to the car Kwh. 35 kwh = about 40 kwh into car as car uses some of that electricity to run cooling system when charging .. between 5-15% depending on car and voltage of line used to feed it.

I only pay electricity rate costs where I live..I think 100% of people do. lol

The specs of the F150 EV shows 50 kwH per 100 miles -- seems reasonable value

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sat. Mar. 25, 2023 12:23 pm

Ok I know you guys think I'm really stupid right now but basically I'm asking if these calculations are figuring in the costs that electric companies charge you for the kWh used and then kWh transmission charges. You might pay fourteen cents for usage per kWh but you also pay per kWh for transmission. That might be ten cents- so your 100 miles per 35 kWh now costs you twenty four cents times thirty five. When you ask someone what they pay per kWh they may or may not include transmission charges. I'm just asking, are they included in these dollars per mile calculations

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Sat. Mar. 25, 2023 1:11 pm

Retro_Origin wrote:
Sat. Mar. 25, 2023 12:23 pm
I'm just asking, are they included in these dollars per mile calculations
When i figure mine i divide my entire bill cost by KWHs used. That includes everything. Taxes,delivery, transmission,meter charge and every other BS charge on the bill. Something just under 20c right now . 2 yrs ago when things were somewhat normal it was 12c. It also includes a credit every month for business tax reduction act passed by the last administration.My power company to its credit passed that savings right through to the customer. So any new business or corp taxes imposed on business have the opposite affect ,higher bills for you and me. So much for no new taxes.
Last edited by k-2 on Sat. Mar. 25, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Mar. 25, 2023 1:14 pm

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/03/25/ev-fail ... k-in-snow/

Saw this article...

When the Rivian truck became stuck in the snow, a safety feature immobilized the vehicle. The vehicle displayed a critical error and indicated it would have to be taken to a service center. Merrill later suggested that a straightforward reset might have fixed the problem, but Rivian’s customer service did not mention that option during his initial call.

The vehicle had to be loaded onto a flatbed truck and transported to a service center :lol: located hundreds of miles away :lol: from the incident. The bill to transport the electric truck totaled $2,100, a smack in the face for Merrill, who had just taken possession of the truck in the few days preceding the incident.

Make sure you buy a vehicle where a dealer is closer than 120 miles away. This guy got ripped off by the towing company...he should have asked how much for the tow before saying OK.

Not a EV only related problem but something to consider when buying any vehicle. Pretty sure my Chevy Volt does not have that "safety feature". Your car is a brick ... its a feature, enjoy this feature.

_ another thing to put into your new car contract...free towing and repair if from any safety feature like this

k-2

Post by k-2 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2023 3:20 am

I get the feeling the automakers are vastly overestimating demand for EVs. They have already committed Billions. What happens when the supply builds up and they don't sell? Plus cars don't sell well in a recession.They barely make a profit on them now. If they have to slash prices they will lose a fortune. Toyota is not drinking the koolaid and may be the last one standing. Ill be staying away from auto stocks. Ford is trading near its 52 week lows right now.

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 9:32 am

Toyota is so far in debt that they have no resources to develope

any new EV's ... They like all Japanese car companies are on the

path to oblivion. VW is right behind with huge debt...

BigBarney

Paper
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Working on it
Other Heating: Woodland wood stove

Post by Paper » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 9:52 am

:funny: :funny: :funny:

I love the ignore list.. No room for negative Nancy in my life...

Ahhhh :D :D

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 11:12 am

BigBarney wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 9:32 am
Toyota is so far in debt that they have no resources to develope
any new EV's ... They like all Japanese car companies are on the
path to oblivion. VW is right behind with huge debt...
BigBarney
Doesnt seem to hurt sales.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 11:28 am

One way to get the battery size down is dont drag 4000 lbs of Truck along with every trip.

"By 2025, expect to see 12 million electric vehicles being sold worldwide each year—and more than 40 million electric bikes."
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-ride-into- ... ket-newtab

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 11:34 am

That's only 2 years away K. I don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time will tell. :o ;)

"By 2025, expect to see 12 million electric vehicles being sold worldwide each year—and more than 40 million electric bikes."
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-ride-into- ... ket-newtab
[/quote]

k-2

Post by k-2 » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 11:56 am

freetown fred wrote:
Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 11:34 am
That's only 2 years away K. I don't buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time will tell. :o ;)
They might make that many but sold is another story. The point of the article is that Ebikes are leading the charge worldwide.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 3:38 pm

Last week I saw quite a few ebikes hanging on the back of motor homes on the NY Thruway and riders of them on the streets near our house in Saratoga.

Not sure how "e" they are because most of the riders were doing a lot of pedaling. :roll:

Paul

snuffy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF250 & Mark III backup
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by snuffy » Tue. Mar. 28, 2023 6:28 pm

As a e-bike battery charge gets to about 50% depleted on each charge cycle there is less electron torque available so even small hills require pedaling - going down hill is a breeze!

I did see an online ad for a Jeep e-bike supposedly having 1500 watt motor but at 70lbs that about half my weight.

Return to “Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles & Aviation”